Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Shiraz in Clifton: closed!

User

Paul T Carney

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 08, 2007 12:08 pm

Shiraz in Clifton: closed!

by Paul T Carney » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:31 pm

Looks like the Shiraz on Frankfort Ave. in Clifton has closed (sign on the door is the very polite "we're closing, thank for your support, come to one of our other locations"-type).
Very sad to see them go; this was, I believe, their first location (once they got into their current concept and general menu), and they've been a great presence in the neighborhood.
I know that parking along that stretch has become a real hassle, between the last round of parking space delineations (they marked far fewer official spaces than the previous unmarked parking allowed), and since construction on the new apartment complex began. Tighter parking has impacted most of the businesses through here.
Anybody know anything about the closing?
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
– Terry Pratchett
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Shiraz in Clifton: closed!

by RonnieD » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:34 pm

Wow. That was their "original" location after moving from the LowBrow skid row. Surprised to see it go. Parking is likely a cause and the lease may have gone up as well. Would be curious to hear more.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:43 pm

I thought the quality of the meat had gone down in recent months. The pita bread never recovered after they abandoned the original bakery that produced for them. The last time I was in, the place looked a little disheveled, to be kind. I don't know if that store became one of the franchises or not...? Anyway, I was wondering how long they could hold out. Once those horrific apartments are built...sorry, I don't like change. Once they are built, that location should be pretty darn successful. I am truly sorry for the loss.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:59 pm

I haven't been in the Clifton location in years, but it seems like when they were in Ronnie's "LowBrow skid row" they were baking their own bread right there in the store. I visit one a few years ago and they had switched to a store-bought brand that had a cardboard quality to it. In the past year or so I believe they were getting their bread from Dino's Bakery, which was a step up.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:26 am

This is sad.

Sweetie and I used to trek over there almost weekly to get the goods. Over time the quality of the bread went down, and then you had to pay extra to get the whole loaf of lavash instead of just half. And the quality slid and the prices keep rising.

It wasn't even a conscience decision to stop going. It just happened.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:51 am

I'm with what I see as the trend here: I thought Shiraz was amazing in its original LowBrow location, admired their entrepreneurial spirit as they moved and expanded, but also thought that they have given us a useful object lesson in what can go wrong when a nice little place tries to become a chain but isn't quite ready to do that. The spirit just seemed to go out of the food and the mood, and like others here, we just casually, without thinking much about it, quit going back.
User

Paul T Carney

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 08, 2007 12:08 pm

by Paul T Carney » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:53 am

I wondered how things were going at the other locations. I honestly have only eaten at this one over the years, though my wife has been to the others and indicated that they were all a little different. Some of the changes at this location I ascribed to "chain changes" like Robin mentioned. I know that this store went from anchor store to franchise over time (the last operator started as an employee).
It used to be such a delight to see different members of the Akrami family working there, and to smell the blossoms of the gardenia that they kept there. And Ashcon, one of the sons who ran this location for years, was such a great guy, such a welcoming presence.
And so it goes. We'll miss them.
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
– Terry Pratchett
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:55 pm

Paul T Carney wrote: Ashcon, one of the sons who ran this location for years, was such a great guy, such a welcoming presence.
And so it goes. We'll miss them.

Perzackly, and this bears strongly on the forum's Frequently Asked Question, "When does a local eatery become a chain?" One important answer is, "When the nice guy from the family that started the place isn't around any more."
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:24 am

Last one I went to was over by Bellarmine, and the food was so bad and the portions so small for the price I swore to never go to that or any other one again. My Yelp review covered it all. There are much better Mediterranean options in town.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:50 am

When we moved here in 2007, we discovered Shiraz pretty soon and loved it. Went several times. Within two or three years, though, prices had gone way up and portions had gone way down. We've eaten there maybe twice in the last five years, so I can't say I'm terribly surprised.