Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Kasey's Bakery and Cafe

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Kasey's Bakery and Cafe

by Carla G » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:01 pm

In the Crestwood Station area that also houses the huge Christian Church and the Dollar General Store. Not opened yet. Anyone know anything about it?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Kasey's Bakery and Cafe

by Steve P » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:53 pm

Just that their website has been up for a couple of months but re-construction of the space appears to be progressing at a snails pace...Which surprises me not.

http://www.kaseysbakeryandbistro.com/default.aspx
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:20 pm

They were working on the exterior. Looks almost finished like, maybe, a week or just away. I hope it'll be good but the menu looks a bit...mundane. Some home baked breads would be nice.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:40 pm

Opens July 1st according to the ladies in the bank. I peeked inside, looks nice.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:45 pm

Well, happy to see an addition to the area!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:27 pm

Visited here today. Went in around 3:30 PM. No OPEN sign on the door and the store was only half lit. Tried the door halfway expecting it to be locked but no, it was open! Yeah! Inside there were maybe 10 or so young folk sitting around a single table. No aromas, no cooking.

"Oh! I'm sorry. Are you not opened yet?" I asked. I thought I had interrupted an employee meeting.
"Oh yes we're open! Where would you like to sit?"
" oh well, honestly I was just coming in to see if I could buy a loaf of fresh bread?"
She kinda scrunched up her face.
"Fresh bread?"
"Yeah. A loaf of bread. I mean...I was just thinking...since it says BAKERY you might sell fresh bread."
She waves her hand to the left side of the building that is dark. Two tiny cases. Empty.
"Well, this is our bakery area."
"Oh. So nothing yet? You're not opened?"
"No, we're opened."
"Well, eventually what do you expect to have?"
"Oh she will have everything! Muffins, scones, cakes, cookies! And she bakes it all herself!"
"Great! Will you sell fresh bread?"
(Scrunched her face again.)
"Fresh bread?" (Looks at her co worker shaking her head, shrugging their shoulders.they exchange puzzled looks.)
"Fresh bread?"
"Yes, fresh bread. Like for sandwiches?"
They both stand there and shake their heads repeating "fresh bread" under their breath. I expected someone to ask,
"What is this 'fresh bread' of which you speak?"

On one hand I am very disappointed that these very nice, very sweet, young ladies obviously had no clue you could go to the bakery to buy anything but sweets. How sad. :oops: :cry:

On the other hand wouldn't you just love to be there when (and if - given Kasey does make fresh bread) they bite into their first slice of real bread! :!:
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:28 pm

Stopped in today for a late lunch...I was the only customer in the place...It wasn't -bad- it just wasn't anything special (definitely not in the same league as say the Red Pepper right around the corner). I didn't get the sense that the staff had much (if any) restaurant experience...several 16-17 y.o. girls running around doing awkward imitations of "servers", maybe a busboy or two about the same age. The "bakery" part consisted of a few dozen cookies, some cupcakes and 3 or 4 cheese cakes (18.99)...No bread

Who knows, maybe their proximity to the SE Christian campus (in the same parking lot) and the after church Lord Jesus/Fellowship crowd can keep 'em going...if not, I give the place about 9 months...
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:01 pm

I owned Dolce Bakery for a little over three years (my sister ran it for 7 prior) and back then I would have begged for the opportunity to have a retail spot (we would have had to spend money we didn't have to reconfigure the space) and to read this makes me sad and disappointed to the point of anger haha... this post makes me think of this meme regarding the metal band Pantera:

User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:48 pm

Adam,

I would been there immediately for both you and Rachel- and augmented the line with all of my friends. :) I'm moving to the Highlands- can you start something there?? :D

(Seriously- you know I I know how hard retail is; must be very frustrating for you.)
Deb
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:54 am

Deb Hall wrote:Adam,

I would been there immediately for both you and Rachel- and augmented the line with all of my friends. :) I'm moving to the Highlands- can you start something there?? :D

(Seriously- you know I I know how hard retail is; must be very frustrating for you.)
Deb

There was a time I would have jumped at the opportunity but I got burned out and crashed hard (REAL hard). Actually had investors approach me after the remains were still smoldering.. I just didn't have it in me. I needed a break and real estate has been great to me so far. I am loving the flexibility. But I miss the food game I can't lie. :)
no avatar
User

Janell R

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:38 am

by Janell R » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:10 pm

I had lunch there today and it was AWESOME! I had the half turkey Rueben with salad and portions were plentiful and yummy. Cannot wait to go back!
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:22 pm

Steve P wrote:Who knows, maybe their proximity to the SE Christian campus (in the same parking lot) and the after church Lord Jesus/Fellowship crowd can keep 'em going...if not, I give the place about 9 months...

Damn....I called this one spot on. They boarded the place up at the end of March/first of April. In it's place is the soon to be opened "Little Dick's (??) Roadhouse" (or something like that).....Whatever :roll:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:38 am

Yup. Drove by the other day wondering how they were doing. Pretty sad when you can't make it within walking distance of a SECC.

Just as an added note for the area - the Crestwood Market has signs up they will have their beer license in a couple weeks. That should help them compete with Wallyworld around the corner. (Which is dead dead dead every time I check in.)
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:30 pm

Carla G wrote:Yup. Drove by the other day wondering how they were doing. Pretty sad when you can't make it within walking distance of a SECC.

Just as an added note for the area - the Crestwood Market has signs up they will have their beer license in a couple weeks. That should help them compete with Wallyworld around the corner. (Which is dead dead dead every time I check in.)

I visited Kasey's 3x and for me it never did get north of "meh"...The food was nothing special and the service remained a bunch of no-nothing-first-job-can't-get-the-simplest-order-right kids right up until my last visit...Can't speak for the bakery items since I never tried 'em. Apparently my opinion is one shared by others because (like Carla said) if you can't make it in the same parking lot as SECC, you can't make it anywhere.

The new place going in is called "Little Dave's Roadhouse" (as opposed to Little Dickie's - my bad). There is another place down in Brandenburg by the same name, no idea if it's the same ownership.

Out of pure necessity I've been into the new Crestwood WallyWorld a couple of times (I didn't realize I could hold my breath that long)...and I'm with Carla...it's the dead sea. Will continue to patronize the Crestwood Grocery Outlet, Crestwood Hardware, etc, etc...