Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ: Four stars for ... Brix Wine Bar!?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:05 am

Okay, whatever. I reviewed it in September 2013 and gave it 82 points while saying nice things. Most of what I said was actually in agreement with Ms. Miller: It's a nice neighborhood place, associated with a nice but not particularly inspiring wine shop. I didn't see four stars in it, though. Have any of you been back more recently? Has Brix evolved into a modern gem?

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /71004946/
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

Re: CJ: Four stars for ... Brix Wine Bar!?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:06 am

For what it's worth, here's my 2013 review:

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/whats ... -the-burbs
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:27 am

We have eaten dinner there two or three times in the last year or so and really like it. Good food, knowledgeable, attentive service and a nice room. It does have a "neighborhood" vibe - although not our neighborhood. If it were here in the city we'd probably go there more often.

As to the four stars - probably not in my opinion, but closer to four than to three.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:18 am

It has really good reviews on Yelp. The food in the pictures looked pretty damn good, I have to say.

I guess it would depend on whether you think that only a white-tablecloth restaurant can be 4 stars. Plus your review was almost 2 years ago, they could have easily stepped up their game since then. Or maybe you caught them on a bad night.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:22 am

Also...someone add this to the list of East-end non-chain restaurants we can brag about. :wink: :lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:42 am

Jason G wrote:Also...someone add this to the list of East-end non-chain restaurants we can brag about. :wink: :lol:

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:46 am

Okay, here are two good comments from Facebook, worth reposting here.

Since the September 2013 review, the manager, Leslie Clark, is now the owner, and has ramped up the solid menu even more. The chef, TJ, is at the top of his game right now, and the staff, especially Tyler and Chris, are the best in the biz. Plus, there's no lunch. Boozy ladies are usually on Thursdays.

What Jim said. It is no longer part of the Liquor World next door and the food and service have both stepped up being an independent establishment. Robin and Dan should both revisit.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:21 pm

Again it goes back to the fact she is only using the top 1/4 of the scale. I believe we discussed that fact when we were talking about the rating she gave Napa River Grill. You get yourself into a corner without much room to maneuver when you start off reading everything too high, the point scale that Robin uses is much better because even though he doesn't use the full range there is room to separate within the range he uses.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Adam D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:13 am

by Adam D » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:24 pm

The wife and I visited this spot maybe 3-4 years ago (so before the new management) and never returned.

It was just...off. The whole, "I can see the liquor store from my table", thing was odd. There was a nice bar area with several large TVs showing sporting events, and classic rock playing rather loudly over the sound system. The ambiance just didn't seem to match the menu/decor of the restaurant.

Food I recall was decent but, in my opinion, overpriced. We ordered a nacho appetizer of some sorts that came with house made chips. The appetizer was served about 1 minute after we ordered it leaving me to suspect the chips were not fried to order...which I was correct about. All in all it wasn't terrible but just not a place we decided to go back to and drop $60 bucks or so for a meal with other the other options available. Living in the east end though I am glad to hear that the restaurant is no longer affiliated with the liquor store and being run to a higher standard....we may return and report back!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:44 am

Oops, missed this earlier ...

The CJ wrote:(Just so you know, "brix," is pronounced "bree,"

Umm ... no. No, it is not. It's pronounced "bricks," just as the Austrian developer of the scale said it.
User

Jeremy J

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am

Louisville, KY

by Jeremy J » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:10 pm

I mean...good for them, however--

I'm always been amused...

Just so you know, "brix," is pronounced "bree," and refers to the sugar content of an aqueous solution.

Um, wrong, and WHAT? Yes, aqueous. :roll:
But, it doesn't take long to realize that inside that unappealing first impression owner Leslie Clark and Chef T. J. Devault are selling edible gemstones.

Edible gemstones.
If I had a pocket of stars that evening, I would have left with an empty pocket because I would have given them all to Brix.

She had to have been high when she wrote this. Re-read this review and imagine being really high, and it makes WAY more sense.
Brix has a fine selection of domestic wines as well as a lovely list of Italian, French, Chilean, Argentine, Spanish and New Zealand choices.

So, they have a wine list.