Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Rumplings

User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Rumplings

by Leah S » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:34 pm

https://www.louisville.com/content/rump ... -beginning
Closed, but will reopen for Rumpfest.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Rumplings

by Mark R. » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:05 pm

I'd heard rumors of that but kind of discount of them because of how popular it was! It will be interesting to see what the new concept actually is.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:19 pm

How can you not make money selling noodles?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:23 pm

I don't think it's just "selling noodles." It's "keeping up an insane all-night pace making outstanding ramen to high quality standards."

That, and the apparent original intent to run it as an "incubator" rather than a long-term operation, although i wish they had been more candid about that from the start.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:26 pm

Man, I am really disappointed about this! I had no idea...
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:40 pm

Not buying that explanation at all.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:40 pm

You know, on my weekly trips to Bunz, I had noticed diminishing returns on the crowds there. I thought maybe the bloom was off the rose, or something had happened to the quality.

They seemed to be turning out a high quality product. I'm not really buying the whole "incubator-after-the-fact" story. If ramen was killing in that spot night after night for 7 months, I don't think you go "well, that was fun, let's try pierogies for the next 7 months."
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

DustinStaggers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:16 am

by DustinStaggers » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:09 pm

Precisely correct.

The whole idea behind the incubator. If you read the article we said exactly the same. If Rumplings is killing it, we find another place to incubate and maintain Rumplings. Key word is killing it. We are looking for a smash. If it's not "killing it" then we move to the next concept. Whole idea behind its origin in the first place!

As someone who runs restaurants you should be astutely aware of the vagueness of the phrase "killing it".

We look forward to everyone coming to visit us at Epic Sammich Co!
Dustin Staggers
Owner-Roux, Epic Sammich Co, America. The Diner, Ten Tables
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:42 pm

Sad news, but it's good to hear that you are not giving up the spot Dustin.
Best of luck on the Sammie venture.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:15 pm

While I find it a touch frustrating as a customer to see it go, I would rather that they follow their muse(s) instead of coasting with a concept, so more power to them. I will wait and see what the menu looks like for the next place, as I'm not a big sandwich eater. However, they have earned the benefit of the doubt.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:17 pm

Understood Dustin, I think everyone is just kind of taken aback by the lack of disclosure to that point up front. Speaking for myself, I was invested more in Rumplings for the long haul as I thought it was filling an awesome niche. I get a different kind of excited when I know ahead of time that this might be a rotating spot. I think it is an "expectation v. reality" situation from my perspective.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jason G » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:09 am

Robin Garr wrote:I don't think it's just "selling noodles." It's "keeping up an insane all-night pace making outstanding ramen to high quality standards."

That, and the apparent original intent to run it as an "incubator" rather than a long-term operation, although i wish they had been more candid about that from the start.

Yeah but thats pretty much any restaurant making the food from scratch, right? Or maybe the ramen is more labor intensive than other types of food? I honestly don't know.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:31 am

Jason G wrote:Yeah but thats pretty much any restaurant making the food from scratch, right? Or maybe the ramen is more labor intensive than other types of food? I honestly don't know.

I'd say those guys were trying their best to channel a serious Japanese ramen shop, including making fresh noodles to order (albeit with a Kitchenaid pasta-maker attachment); and yeah, that's a lot more labor-intensive than fried chicken, subs or pizza. Also, running long hours late into the night and serving the Baxter Avenue Drinking Community might have made it both fun and ... interesting. They were serious, very serious, about quality, and I can understand their wish to have an appropriate payday.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:50 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Jason G wrote:Yeah but thats pretty much any restaurant making the food from scratch, right? Or maybe the ramen is more labor intensive than other types of food? I honestly don't know.

I'd say those guys were trying their best to channel a serious Japanese ramen shop, including making fresh noodles to order (albeit with a Kitchenaid pasta-maker attachment); and yeah, that's a lot more labor-intensive than fried chicken, subs or pizza. Also, running long hours late into the night and serving the Baxter Avenue Drinking Community might have made it both fun and ... interesting. They were serious, very serious, about quality, and I can understand their wish to have an appropriate payday.

It was quite demanding.
When I worked there, my job responsibilities were two things: noodles and dumplings.

I was working 55-60 hours a week to meet the noodle and dumpling demands of a 4 day a week restaurant, and that was with late night support to continue noodle making into the evening.

It's like having one guy at a burger place making all the buns and fries in house. And that's all he did.

When Rumplings first opened, I was making a production run of 75-150 lbs of noodles dough per day. Final capacity was 100-225 lbs a day. 18 seat restaurant. Mind you, in addition to the volume of dough, the dough was made off site at Roux, as there is no room for a commercial mixer in the Rumplings space. Factor in transit time, storage, forecasting dough production...
It was relentless. And as Dustin stated, looking for a "smash" here.
The intricacies of both the noodle and broth production made it a difficult concept to duplicate beyond those 18 seats without an extremely skilled set of talent.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jason G » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:53 pm

Gotcha, makes sense, thanks for the info!
Next