Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Baraka Resturant African & Asian Halal Food

by James Natsis » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:44 pm

I happened to be on Oak St this morning and noticed the sign. i went in to talk to the owner. He is from Somalia. They used to be in the Somali Mall at 8th near Broadway. They have an interesting menu with most of the dishes displayed in photos. They have stuff like Goat Meat, Chicken Suqaar, Thali, Ground Beef or Vegetable Nafaqo, Aash w/ Foul, Anjeer w/ Beef Suqaar, etc.

It is located at 519 Oak. By the way, that corridor is shaping up. It is slowly becoming a food hub for Old Louisville. Coco's Cakes Bakery recently opened on the next corner.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Downtown

Re: Baraka Resturant African & Asian Halal Food

by Kris Billiter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:17 pm

Safety will be key in seeing that area really develop. There was just a murder at the nearby gas station and Adam from Oak St. Pizza was robbed and seriously injured a few years back. There's so much good stuff going on in the area. I hope it can last!!
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:49 pm

Kris Billiter wrote:Safety will be key in seeing that area really develop. There was just a murder at the nearby gas station and Adam from Oak St. Pizza was robbed and seriously injured a few years back. There's so much good stuff going on in the area. I hope it can last!!

No doubt that crime is and will be a concern. They'll probably need to keep a cop stationed on the corner like they do at the Waterfront. Genscape is still under construction just behind the strip and will eventually supply a lot of hungry lunch seekers. Many will be looking for a drink after work, as well. In my view, if someone comes in to the old grocery site with a mixed use investment right around the corner, and there has been some reporting of that maybe happening, it will be the tipping point towards many nice things to come.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:29 pm

James Natsis wrote:
Kris Billiter wrote:Safety will be key in seeing that area really develop. There was just a murder at the nearby gas station and Adam from Oak St. Pizza was robbed and seriously injured a few years back. There's so much good stuff going on in the area. I hope it can last!!

No doubt that crime is and will be a concern. They'll probably need to keep a cop stationed on the corner like they do at the Waterfront. Genscape is still under construction just behind the strip and will eventually supply a lot of hungry lunch seekers. Many will be looking for a drink after work, as well. In my view, if someone comes in to the old grocery site with a mixed use investment right around the corner, and there has been some reporting of that maybe happening, it will be the tipping point towards many nice things to come.

I don't live down there but worked at Walnut Street Baptist Church at 3rd and St. Catherine for 8 1/2 years. It is one of the most unique neighborhoods I know of. The difference in housing from street to street and sometimes block to block can be startling. You have this mix of Old Louisville money, college renters, and many urban poor living in subsidized housing. The diversity is not at all bad and is what makes the area so intriguing. Unfortunately, the threat of violence is real down there. The corner of 4th and Oak is known to be dangerous. The bank there has been robbed numerous times. If something would come in to the old Winn Dixie space, it could be a huge plus for the area. I feel that with the upcoming development of the building that used to house the hardware store, Genscape, and new shops and restaurants opening up, the area will soon take off. Then we are left to ask 2 questions: How challenging will the in between times be and will the diversity last if the area does indeed take off.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:49 pm

I do live in Old Louisville, have compared crime stats, and OL is no more dangerous than are other urban area of Louisville. The most dangerous spot in Louisville is the corner of Third and Market by KICC. Genscape plus the Edison Center will soon breathe new life into our historic area, along with lots of workers looking to spend money. Besides Baraka and Coco's we also have the new/redone Toonerville deli, Chef Maria's Bistro and the newest version of The Rud with a wonderful Sunday brunch. It's gettin' good in the Old Louisville hood!
no avatar
User

Kris Billiter

{ RANK }

Foodie

Downtown

by Kris Billiter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:02 pm

Leah,
I'd hope you would pop in for this one. I hope I didn't come across too negative. Wasn't my intention. I just think it's a interesting time For the neighborhood and the transition will be one to watch. I know there are places in the city as or more dangerous than the area. It's by no means a war zone. I walked around often and never felt threatened. I'm glad to see things moving in a good direction!
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:36 pm

@Kris :- )
And Baraka is quite good.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:48 pm

Leah S wrote:The most dangerous spot in Louisville is the corner of Third and Market by KICC.

Total numbers, or per capita? You really have to use per cap to make comparisons.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:34 am

If you go through the actual crimes reported around there since 1/1, it's not significantly less safe than many other frequented parts of Louisville. One of the things I try to do when comparing stats is to remove marijuana possession and domestic violence (neither of these are likely to affect visitors) -- once that is done, you end up with a small amount of 4th degree assault (no injury) and one burglary, unless you go a few blocks down past 7th. You're generally more likely to encounter trouble just outside 4th Street Live.

That's not to discount any safety concerns, but more so to say even a per capita examination of crime, generally, may not get you where you want to go, unless you really look at the types of crimes you are likely to encounter. And that said, there are really only two general places in Louisville you're even remotely likely to encounter crime, and most of those crimes tend to occur long after restaurants are closed.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:41 pm

Dropped by there today. It's generally pretty good, only one thing that really fell flat. Huge portions, excellent goat, and one incredibly nice (hot pepper) sauce.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

by James Natsis » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:57 pm

I finally got a chance to drop in for lunch this afternoon. I had a thali platter with goat. It was very enjoyable--fresh and flavorful, even the rice.

The family had started about 5 years ago in the Somali Mall off Broadway (and I believe 9th St). They have been at this location for about 1 1/2 yrs. They are working on a buffet for lunch they hope to have available soon.

I was pleasantly surprised. This place is a keeper. There were four others there at the same time who were also raving over the food. Two were regulars.
James J. Natsis