Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Making a list: Best pizza in Louisville?

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:55 am

I know we talk about pizza a lot, but hey. :mrgreen:

For an article, I need to make a list of the city's best pizzae. For a reality check against my opinions, please tell us your favorites, and tell us why!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Making a list: Best pizza in Louisville?

by Mark R. » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:59 am

As has been said many times it certainly depends on what type of pizza you are looking for because there are so many choices here Louisville. However, our list is certainly topped by Coals. Their crust is just perfect and they have a great variety of toppings and topping combinations that are both unique and classic. The atmosphere of the restaurant also contributes to them topping the list. I just
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:13 pm

Coals, hands down. As the previous poster stated, the crust is always exceptional. The nice touch of the local names of the pies is a plus too. It may be blasphemy here but Iroquois Pizza out here by my house is outstanding. The large Bigga pie is a meat lovers dream. They do not skimp on the ingredients. The tomato sauce is really good.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:03 pm

Thanks, guys. I'm a big fan of Coals too. I'm looking for a list, though, so once we establish that Coals is primo, we've still got a bunch of runners-up to enumerate. :)

Tony, noted about Iroquois. Remind me where it is exactly?
no avatar
User

Adam D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:13 am

by Adam D » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:12 pm

1. Papalinos
2. Arni's
3. Coals
4. Jets
5. BoomBoz
no avatar
User

Adam D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:13 am

by Adam D » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:14 pm

Oh - and Robin Iroquois pizza is on Manslick road near where Paltka, Manslick, and St Andrews church road all comes together. Near Doss high school if you are familiar. I actually grew up right down the road from there but only ate there 1 time I believe...can't really remember loving or hating it to be honest.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:31 pm

It sort of depends on what I'm looking for any given night . . . and since you asked for a longer list . . .

• I like Mellow Mushroom, especially for the beer selections accompanying the pizzas
• Some of Tony Boombozz I like, some I don't
• If I'm really hungry, the Wick's 'all the meats' pie is great
• Clifton has an "adult" sauce, with more spice and flavor than most
• Corner Café can be very good – especially if I'm feeling guilty and want the whole wheat crust
• I really want to like Impellizzeri's, but each visit it's just way too salty to finish
• If I'm in a hurry, I do like Blaze
• I always forget about Johnny Brusco's New York Style, but when I walk by the aroma is spectacular (I've never actually eaten there)
• For delivery, Bearno's is around the best in our area (although surprisingly since they redid the entire menu and formulae, Domino's is proving better than Pizza Hut or Papa John's by a lot!)
• Steve-O's Italian Kitchen in La Grange is good, but inconvenient
• Sometimes we'll get pizza at Lou-Lou's, and it's good (but very filling)
• For super-thin crust, we'll sometimes pick up Papa Murphy's and bake it at home

I would put Coals first, but après moi, le déluge
Andrew Mellman
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:50 pm

I know I'm in the minority here for reasons I will never understand, but Clifton's has the best pizza I have had in this town. Consistently an amazing pie for 25 years (of which I've been here for 20). I've not had another pie in the city like it, nor of it's consistently high quality.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:10 pm

Garage bar makes a pretty good pizza.

The Post is supposed to be good...although I have not been myself, maybe someone else can comment?

Papalinos gone way downhill recently IMO, not a bad meal by any stretch just nothing that differentiates it from the competition in my opinion. Kind of like Impellizeris, Wicks, etc. I would rate these "above meh".

New albanian...thumbs up.

A sleeper some of you may not have tried or heard of...Old School Pizza on Lagrange Road. I'm not sure this would actually appeal to true foodies, its not particularly bursting with unique flavors or anything, its just like a nice, thin crust NY street slice as the name implies. I like it once in a while though. http://oldschoolnypizza.com/

Winner for me...Coals. The Iroquois in particular.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:59 pm

RonnieD wrote:I know I'm in the minority here for reasons I will never understand, but Clifton's has the best pizza I have had in this town. Consistently an amazing pie for 25 years (of which I've been here for 20). I've not had another pie in the city like it, nor of it's consistently high quality.

It's been 5 years, at least, since I had Clifton's, and I'm trying to remember why I didn't care for it. Is theirs a heavy-on-the-toppings style like Wick's?
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:48 pm

Will throw Mimo's in the ring for NY/NJ style.....
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:56 pm

I very rarely drive a long way to visit a restaurant because there are just so many good places nearby. But for New Albanian/Richos pizza, I'll make a long drive. If you like deep dish pizza, it's the best I've had outside of Chicago. I really wish they'd open a franchise in Louisville.

I also really like Comeback Inn's pizza. Gooey cheesy goodness!
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Old Chicago makes a darn good pie....Their "Tavern Style" (crust) is hands down one of our favorite pies in town. Loui-Loui is another favorite...we LOVE the buttery crust. SteveO's in beautiful downtown Buckner also gets our vote...it's definitely the best pizza in -Oldham- county (although I don't know that it would make headliner status in Jefferson County).

Looking forward to trying Blaze Pizza in Middletown Commons once they open (wasn't a second Coal's location going in there at one point ???)
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:46 pm

Steve P wrote:
Looking forward to trying Blaze Pizza in Middletown Commons once they open (wasn't a second Coal's location going in there at one point ???)

The second Coals is going to be at the corner of Shelbyville Road and Madison Avenue in Middletown. The building is completed on the outside and they are now working on the inside. It will probably open in a couple of months.

We've tried the blaze pizza in Shelbyville Rd., Plaza a couple of times and for the price is a pretty good pizza. Certainly not the best in town but if you want a quick meal it's certainly better than most other options. The pies are pretty good-sized, the two is normally split one and have a salad for lunch and I have a good variety of toppings you can put on them. You can either have one of their selected combinations or do a build your own, all their pies in the same price unless you opt you only have one topping or cheese only which are cheaper.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:10 pm

Since the area Papalino's rapidly declined, then closed, we do not have a single favorite. In fact, at their height, they were so far above everyone else to me that nothing on my list is nearly exciting as what they used to create. With that sad thought in mind, a random list:

-- Mellow Mushroom. It is probably our favorite spot, but I prefer the apps, soup, and beer to the pizza.
-- Luigi's. For nostalgia factor (we often took the kids there after a trip to the Science Center in their younger years) and the ability to get a big, single slice for a good price, it's a favorite.
-- Boombozz. The best carryout option for us. Always good.
-- Adrienne & Co. Not a pizza place, but they make my daughter's pizza.
-- Coals. Only been once and really good, but the dining room is a bit too "fancy" for my tastes, at least regarding pizza. W
-- Cafe Lou Lou. A favorite of some friends, but just okay to me.
-- Rocky's. Only been to the Gardiner Lane one and it was surprisingly good and well priced.

Not a fan of: Spinelli's (inconsistent), Impelizzeri's and Za's (too thick), any national chain with football players in their commercials, any place where I have to "construct my own pie". Too much work.
Not tried: Blaze, Deorio's, Garage Bar, certainly some others.
Next