Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Re: Making a list: Best pizza in Louisville?

by Leah S » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:17 pm

Pizza Donisi
Blaze
Papalinos, although I haven't had it since they moved out east.
BoomBozz
Loui-Loui
no avatar
User

Daniel Raines

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:21 pm

by Daniel Raines » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:57 am

My favorites in order are:

Boombozz - I typically do carryout and Boombozz is the best for that
Coal's - Outstanding for eat in because I'm a crust guy
NABC/Rich O's - I really dig their pizza and I haven't tried the deep dish yet

Honorable mention:
Clifton's
DiOrios
Jet's
Impellizzeri's
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:03 pm

Don't know if you're planning to break it down by regional styles, Wicks would be up there as far as Ohio Valley style.

This article covers many of the regional styles, although I don't quite agree with square being a defining component of OV-style pizza.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2 ... tyles.html
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:23 pm

Richard S. wrote:This article covers many of the regional styles, although I don't quite agree with square being a defining component of OV-style pizza.

Definitely not on the Kentucky side of the river, although square "party cut" is common in southern Indiana, where I'm pretty sure it migrated in from St. Louis.

To me, Louisville-style is characterized by Clifton's, Impellizzerri's and Wick's, thin crust but not cracker-thin, with an extremely heavy load of toppings, often with cheese underneath and on top.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:25 pm

Richard S. wrote:Don't know if you're planning to break it down by regional styles, Wicks would be up there as far as Ohio Valley style.

I don't know either, but this is to be a "listicle," so not deep on info.

In my opinion, Clifton's, Impellizzerri's and Wick's all exemplify the Louisville style, and I'm not positive which came first, but I believe Impellizzerri's started it. Could be Wick's, though. Wick's falls a little behind the other two in modern times, in my opinion, because they hush down the flavor component. I jokingly say that their style seems aimed at the teen-age palate.
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:02 pm

If the judge wants to include kudos for various styles I suggest recognizing Steve's Pizza King. Some kinds just have no substitute when you in the mood.
no avatar
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:03 am

In my opinion, Clifton's, Impellizzerri's and Wick's all exemplify the Louisville style...

Funny you should say that. Growing up on the doorstep of Chicago, I'd say Clifton's thin crust comes pretty close to the carry out/delivery pizza style of my "yoot", and is a favorite of ours here in Louisville.
This article covers many of the regional styles, although I don't quite agree with square being a defining component of OV-style pizza.

If memory serves, back in the Chicago burbs round pizza came cut square by default fifty years ago. A couple of Chicago restaurant critics discuss pizza cuts here. Oh, and if it matters, at Papa John's "Chicago cut" is an actual orderable option.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
no avatar
User

Dan E

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:35 am

by Dan E » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:28 pm

As has been stated, Coal's would probably be my favorite, although when in the mood for something more substantial, Papalino's is my definite "1b".

I agree wholeheartedly that the Baxter location had become wildly inconsistent, but I have had nothing but good experience's at the Springhurst store. Consistent crust, great ingredients, particularly the house cured meat. Love the thick cut bacon.

I also think Boombozz is quite good, right in the tier beneath my favorites. Big fan of the Carnitas Libre pizza for something different. I also put Cafe Classico pizza here as well. Love the eggplant parm pizza(add prosciutto) as well as the Bobo and the spicey shrimp, for "alternative" pies.
no avatar
User

Phil Scott

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:52 pm

by Phil Scott » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:25 pm

Robin Garr wrote:To me, Louisville-style is characterized by Clifton's, Impellizzerri's and Wick's, thin crust but not cracker-thin, with an extremely heavy load of toppings, often with cheese underneath and on top.

Those who find Wick's too heavy should try the "The Boss' Favorite" aka The Meredith. Thin crust, less sauce and not as many toppings. It's really great.

But I think the "best pizza" really needs to be broken into categories to be fair. How can you compare the Boombazz's Pollotate Pizza to The Big Wick to a classic pepperoni slice from Old School NY Pizza? And honestly, sometimes an Old Chicago deep dish pizza just hits the spot.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:28 pm

Phil Scott wrote:But I think the "best pizza" really needs to be broken into categories to be fair. How can you compare the Boombazz's Pollotate Pizza to The Big Wick to a classic pepperoni slice from Old School NY Pizza? And honestly, sometimes an Old Chicago deep dish pizza just hits the spot.

Good point, Phil. I can't disagree. On the other hand, I also can't argue with my editor on this particular assignment. ;)
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:10 am

I always find that I am inordinately thristy the day after eating Wick's or Clifton's. I like salt, but I suspect there may be more than usual hiding in those two pizzas.
no avatar
User

paula.evans

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:11 pm

by paula.evans » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:19 pm

I am loving Pieology on Hurstbourne Parkway even more than I love Blaze pizza, the crust is awesome and the buffalo chicken pizza is really delicious. I'm definitely a Tony Boombazz fan for both Pollotate pizza and the SmokeHouse Brisket pizza with the peppadew peppers!
no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:20 pm

I was going to mention Pieology. For $7.50 with as many toppings as you want, it's pretty hard to beat. I've only been once but I will absolutely go back. I won't put them on a favorite list without a few more visits but initial impression was better than Blaze, which also wasn't bad. Just not anything special.

My favorites would be :

1) Coal's
2) Boombozz
3) Old School
4) Mellow Mushroom
5) Corner Café
6) Frascelli's (does Buckner count as Louisville?)
7) Papa Murphy
8 ) Papalino's
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:16 pm

Good picks, Chris, and ...

Chris M wrote:(does Buckner count as Louisville?)

Yes, absolutely. For purposes of my food writing and this forum, I cast a pretty broad net. Definitely not just Louisville Metro but anything in the Louisville MSA (Metro plus surrounding ring(s) of counties, and really anything within day-trip range. :lol:
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:45 am

It's a tie between Coals and Harvest for my number one pizza in Louisville.
Luigi's
Garage Bar
Boombozz
Za's
Cafe Classico

Depending on the daily feature, Harvest often edges out Coals.
PreviousNext