Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

La Perla de Pacifica on Preston opened today!

by Gary Michael » Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:54 am

Stopped in for lunch and loved it. Same Pacific coast Mexican seafood menu as the Westport road location. Had the "regular" coctel de Campechana, a large goblet containing at least a half pound of chilled shrimp and a generous ration of slightly chewy octopus in a tomato broth with tomatoes, lime juice, diced red onion, avocado and cilantro. It wasn't as spicy as I like it, but a sprinkle of Valentina hot sauce did the trick. They threw in a free tostada de ceviche, since I was their first customer at the new location.

I figured the tostada would be a small appetizer-sized portion, but it was a five-inch tostada mounded with a pile of ceviche nearly three inches tall!

Lunch specials are mostly breakfast dishes and quesadillas for five or six bucks. They are also going to offer "home estillo" specials, which I think will be Mexican comfort food as well as taqueria fare.

My three favorite Mexican restaurants: La perla, La Rosita in New Albany and Sante Fe CaFe in Old Louisville.
no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:43 am

Where on Preston is it located? It might have to be dinner tonight.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:51 am

damn that sounds good. I'm there for lunch today.
no avatar
User

Gary Michael

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Address

by Gary Michael » Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:08 am

Clay, La Perla is at 4906 Preston, a few doors north of Pepper Shaker BBQ.
no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:19 am

Gave it a try tonight, and liked it very much. I had the fish tacos, which were very good. They were different from what I was expecting: the tacos were sealed up and looked to have been briefly deep fried, which resulted in a nice crispy shell. My wife's steak burrito was also excellent. The tuna tostada needed a lot of salt and hot sauce to bring out flavor, but once it was doctored up, it was tasty as well. Portions were huge, prices were not.

There a lot of great seafood items on the menu, (whole lobster, shrimp, crab, fresh oysters, mussels, octopus) and it's clearly going to warrant a number of return visits.