Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

DiOrio's Pizza

User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

DiOrio's Pizza

by Gayle DeM » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:14 pm

Today I had lunch at DiOrio's Pizza for the first time. In the words of Richard Meadows, it rated a solid "Meh."

Now I must admit I didn't order a pizza or even a slice. I had a hoagie - their version of of Philly Steak. It was heavy on the bread, light of the beef and even lighter on the cheese. (I must admit that I did appreciate the choice between provolone and Cheese Whiz.) It wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't anything to "write home about."

There were five of us. Two ordered a pizza slice. If size of slice is an important criteria, then DiOrio's is the winner! The appearance did not impress me. Another ordered a calzone; again is size is important, then DiOrio's is once again the winner.

The fifth person ordered an individual pizza. "Meh!" I'll admit that I didn't try that either. I'm a believer in one first "eats" with one's eyes. My eyes much prefer Coals individual pizza!

When done, the group decided to meet next month at Olive Garden. I won't be joining them!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: DiOrio's Pizza

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:29 pm

i've found DiOrio's a little better than "meh" in the past, Gayle, but I will say this: When you are that close to Coals, why not go to Coals? :mrgreen:
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:05 pm

Oh, Robin, I so wish I had been at Coals. However, this is a monthly group luncheon of up to eight. Each month the group decides where to go. We've done quite well. The only place that we all agreed we'd never return to again was Tom Chee's. But next month - Olive Garden? I think not. I remember going there once when my lasgnas or was it ravioli was still frozen in the middle!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:08 am

I have to agree with Robin.

I find it "above meh" but "below Coals". :lol:

This would be my personal pizza rating scale from 0-5:

Little Caesars -> Papa Johns -> "meh" -> "above meh" -> mellow mushroom -> Coals
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:26 am

Jason G wrote:This would be my personal pizza rating scale from 0-5:

Little Caesars -> Papa Johns -> "meh" -> "above meh" -> mellow mushroom -> Coals

I think we're pretty much aligned on all that, Jason! And I agree, Mellow Mushroom bumps into the upper tier - if not quite Coals level - in spite of being a ch- ch- chain. That's impressive. Loui Loui makes that grade, too.

I'd add Caffe Classico and Cafe Lou Lou as being "above meh" even though they're not just pizzerias. Boombozz cracks the barrier with a lot of their pies. Clifton's, too. Old School NY for a Noo Yawk slice.

Oh, and on the "meh" side, Pizza Hut is right down there with Papa's for "below meh" status. ;)

And then there's that whole new genre of Subway-style pizza construction that runs you through a speedy line to get a decent pizza fast. Blaze and Uncle Maddio's. Haven't tried the new Pieology yet.
no avatar
User

Mike L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

by Mike L » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:00 pm

I really like DiOrio's calzone. It has a really good, garlic-y taste to it. My favorite calzone is still Luigi's downtown, with Cliftons a close second.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Diorios hit all the high points for us at the beginning when it opened in st. Matthews. Now you can really see the difference in locations. The Baxter location has a person that knows how to make a great dough. The first location not so much. A single slice is a great option because we don't have to agree on a whole pie, And they are huge.
So while the pizza is solid, I've learned not to order any sammies there. Philly pizza plus mushrooms? YES! Philly cheesesteak? No way.
User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:17 am

It's been many a moon since I've had good pizza in a dining room out, but that's only because I don't dine out much anymore. Just wanted to add something to the meh category. ~Spinelli's certainly has a corner on the market when it comes to late night delivery, but they have the most inconsistent pies I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them because I work 3rd shift in a hotel that orders a lot.