Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Peking City Express

User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

Peking City Express

by Gayle DeM » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:47 pm

When I was out on Dupont Circle earlier today I noticed the building that housed the former Asian Bento Express now has a sign that says Peking City Express and below that "Opening Soon."
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Re: Peking City Express

by Richard S. » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:17 pm

Wonder if it's related to Peking City Bistro. We've always enjoyed the restaurant, although it's a bit out of the way for us.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:35 pm

Richard S. wrote:Wonder if it's related to Peking City Bistro. We've always enjoyed the restaurant, although it's a bit out of the way for us.

I'm thinking the same, and hoping so, although I'm also fretful that an "Express" model might not highlight the authentic menu alternative in its business plan ...
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:27 pm

We certainly love Peking City, it's our go to Chinese restaurant and really quite convenient for us. I'm glad to see they are expanding, obviously means that business is good, I just hope they don't end up overextending themselves like so many restaurants do. That is certainly a good area for restaurants with all the hospitals and doctors offices in the area. Especially someplace with good food and fast service should do quite well there.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Mark A.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 24, 2007 10:30 pm

by Mark A. » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:07 pm

My sources tell me the parents of the guy who runs Peking City Bistro are going to the run the new Express. Also heard it could be awhile before they open.....doing some remodeling first.
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:47 pm

This place opened this week, and I stopped in and got some Hunan chicken to go. It was good, maybe a little bit better than the typical shopping center Chinese restaurants around town, but I don't think it will keep me from going to Oriental House. Still, I like it better than the Asian Bento place that used to be in that location.
no avatar
User

Martin K

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:14 pm

by Martin K » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:30 pm

It's open, I have tried it, and I think it's good for what it is. It's a scaled-down Peking City Bistro, run by the same family, catering more to the lunch crowd in the area. I see it as a good option if I am in the Dupont area for other reasons, but not as a "destination restaurant."
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:37 pm

Martin K wrote:It's open, I have tried it, and I think it's good for what it is. It's a scaled-down Peking City Bistro, run by the same family, catering more to the lunch crowd in the area. I see it as a good option if I am in the Dupont area for other reasons, but not as a "destination restaurant."

I certainly agree with that opinion, it's definitely a destination restaurant if you're in that area. The only thing we were disappointed about was that all the items are full-sized entrées, which we split and we were fine with that, but I was hoping it would be more like the lunch menu Peking City in Middletown. There the lunch special is a small serving of an entrée, rice, and egg roll and either a drink or soup. I'm sure some people prefer one way and some the other but in reality a full-size entrée portion is too much to eat for lunch for most people. That being said, the food was very good!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:56 am

Rich S wrote:This place opened this week, and I stopped in and got some Hunan chicken to go. It was good, maybe a little bit better than the typical shopping center Chinese restaurants around town, but I don't think it will keep me from going to Oriental House. Still, I like it better than the Asian Bento place that used to be in that location.

+1
Good, not great. Far far better than the previous restaurant.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson