Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Our critic can't hate on Mesh in spite of himself

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:46 pm

Our critic can't hate on Mesh in spite of himself

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Shrimp and Weisenberger Mill grits at Mesh

First, let's get one thing perfectly clear: No matter how much I think I might dislike a place, I bring an open mind to the dinner table.

Sometimes this isn't easy. Even if a restaurateur has responded to a review with veiled death threats or even mere front-yard TPing, it's the critic's job to swallow that bile and return someday, prepared to deal out judgment that's honest and fair.

It's a good thing, too, because I had a load of baggage in tow — much of it not particularly fair, but hey — when our friends Kathy and Rick joined Mary and me for a recent dinner at Mesh.

For instance, it may be a stretch to call an Indianapolis eatery's first out-of-town clone a "chain." Still, Mesh's parent organization, Indy's Cunningham Group, runs a half-dozen chain operations. When I see a corporate eatery, I imagine bean counters at headquarters overruling the creative people in the kitchen.

Then there's the historic preservation thing. I've been around long enough to remember the original Bauer's (since 1870!), then La Paloma and eventually Azalea. I loved that nostalgic old white house and its shaded, brick-walled patio, and hated to see it go.

But when the neglected old house decayed after Azalea closed in 2007, it was razed last year, and an odd, hulking block rose in its place. It looked … different. Then everything stalled. Rumors flew! Anoosh Shariat was coming back as chef! Oops, no he's not! They're wooing some other top guy! Or maybe not? Time dragged, a year passed.

Finally it opened in March, to acclaim that ranged from "Awesome" to "Me(s)h." The menu was pricey, with most wines $50 per bottle and up. Apps run up to $15. Main dishes start in the upper teens and top out at $35.

Yep, I was all set for disappointment. But duty called, so I carefully removed the chip from my shoulder. We navigated the over-full parking lot, walked in, and … whoa! What's this? It's sleek! It's glitzy! Stone and wood and glass! A brick patio with shade trees and a classy bar, just like Bauer's!

My eyes popped. Might this place be good? ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5299

See this column also in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/06/our-cr ... f-himself/

Mesh
3608 Brownsboro Road
632-4421
http://meshrestaurants.com/louisville
Robin Garr's rating: 88 points
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Our critic can't hate on Mesh in spite of himself

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:25 pm

Their Sunday (menu) brunch is extremely good.

First, the price is comparable to other places for similar items, making it more affordable. Second, the quality, portion size, and food prep are outstanding. Third, whether because people are quieter on a Sunday mid-day or because it wasn't as crowded (maybe people haven't discovered it yet?) you can hear the people at your table! (I didn't say quiet, but compared to a weekend night it's wonderful!)
Andrew Mellman
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:42 pm

I'm in total agreement with Mr. Mellman!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Their Sunday (menu) brunch is extremely good.

Thanks, Andrew. You make a persuasive case. We might go back for that soon, even if I'm not reviewing.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:24 pm

We haven't been there for Sunday brunch but I certainly agree with Robin about the noise level! When I'm paying these kinds of prices I expect a restaurant to be quite civilized and a nice atmosphere. The atmosphere of this restaurant is very nice, actually probably nicer than I expected but the noise level made it seem like I was in a sports bar! Again, agreeing with Robin, we thought the food was quite good but were expecting some different, more innovative items. We put the restaurant into the category like quite a few others in town that we will go there if our friends want to go there but if the decision is left up to us we will probably choose elsewhere.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:24 am

Is brunch available only on Sundays?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:41 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Is brunch available only on Sundays?

I think so, Jeff, but on a quick look, I can't confirm that from their website.
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:26 pm

I can't guarantee that Mesh still opens for brunch on Sundays, but I have been twice to Sunday brunch. Loved it!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:58 pm

Gayle DeM wrote:I can't guarantee that Mesh still opens for brunch on Sundays, but I have been twice to Sunday brunch. Loved it!

They have a brunch menu online, and the server told us to be sure to come back for brunch. :)

I'm not positive if it's any other day than Sunday, but I don't think so.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:05 pm

Hadn't seen anything on he boards about Mesh in a while so I thought I'd try them for brunch today. I got there not long after the doors were opened, total number of tables during my visit might have been 6 or 7 so not real busy. Not only was my server friendly, helpful and sincere in doing her job, everyone I came into contact with were the same way. Just a bunch of real nice kids anxious to make sure you enjoy your visit. I ordered eggs Benedict with a crab cake instead of Canadian bacon . It came in a timely manner, hot, and beautiful. The eggs were perfectly poached. Don't know why I find a well poached egg so pretty but these certainly were. Yokes were a deep, rich color so I don't know if the eggs were organic, free range, antibiotic free, virginal, circumcised, free Masons or WHAT but they looked richer than the usual $1.59 a dozen variety. The hollendase was pale and rich with a slight hint of lemon zest . The crab cake was fantastic. Beautiful mass of crab with little filler of any kind. There was so much egg, crab, hollendase that it was hard to find the English muffins they sat on. All was served with a very nice fruit cup composed of not just cut melon and grapes (as in many other places) but included cantaloupe, pineapple, blueberries, strawberries and raspberries. Nice!
I enjoyed it all with a cup of coffee and a Bellini . Total came to a hair over $20. I was very happy.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:29 pm

Thanks for the update, Carla! I've been thinking about Mesh and wondering how it settled in. Their patio looks like a place I'd like to try sometime. Kind of similar to the old patio at Bauer's, waaaaaay back in the day, but built from scratch at the new building.