Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Yang Kee Noodle plans second shop at Middletown Commons

by Carla G » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:43 am

Maybe (just guessing) it is comments like "I didn't even need a passport." that makes it sound like you consider the rest of us outsiders or somehow culturally different. It has that "hayseed" feel about it. Knowing you, I am sure you did not mean it that way. I think the reality is that there is an ebb and flow between areas. People seldom stay in the same geographic area they were born and raised in anymore. Today's Downtowner is tomorrow's urbanite is tomorrow's Downtowner once again.
Now get the hell off my lawn!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:50 am

Carla G wrote:"I didn't even need a passport."

It's an old HotBytes forum meme that goes back to the early '00s, Carla, and was originally coined by suburbanites to make fun of us hip city dwellers. :oops: Not the other way around.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:53 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Carla G wrote:"I didn't even need a passport."

It's an old HotBytes forum meme that goes back to the early '00s, Carla, and was originally coined by suburbanites to make fun of us hip city dwellers. :oops: Not the other way around.

Well shame on them!
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:03 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Chris M wrote:This thread is about Yang Kee Noodle.

Perhaps it would be worth asking, "why did a lot of people read this as criticism? Did I fail to communicate well, or did others fail to listen well, or both?"

I didn't take it as hate, I was merely pointing out that many people, myself included, live AND work in the suburbs so an increase in transportation costs actually plays into my decision to live where I do. I'm 10 minutes from my job, which is a well paying executive position with a locally owned business. There are many jobs like that, and many companies are moving out of the city center into cheaper digs in the east end. Local businesses are rightfully catering to those people. To me, in fact. We live well and have disposable income which we increasingly want to spend at local businesses.

The depiction of the suburbs as a wasteland of chain restaurants and mini van driving stepford families piling giant plates of bland, commercially farmed and processed food into their faces is no longer accurate. We want healthy food for our families. We want to support local businesses. We want interesting options.

That is the paradigm shift I was referring to. Most people don't drive downtown to work anymore. Census data proves that out. Occupancy rates in downtown office buildings prove that out.

Most of our largest employers are located outside of the Watterson (Ford, GE, UPS, YUM!). When Humana is sold and those jobs wind down the situation will only get worse, though Humana has been shipping people out east themselves.

Don't even get me started on telecommuting.

The flight may have ended, and people who work downtown are in fact moving back in towards the city, but that is a very small segment of our total population. Downtown isn't the economic center it once was... which is why cities work so hard to make it the cultural and entertainment center. It needs to be something or else it will be nothing.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:34 pm

Interesting thread.

Now that I have two kids, I am a far-East-Ender as well. Previously lived Old Louisville, Mellwood, St. Matthews. Obviously my primary motivation in moving so far out is quality of schools and real estate value, period. We got an almost 3000 sq ft house for under $300k. What would that get us in St. Matthews? Not so much. Downtown? Even less. I mean its not rocket science why people want to live out here, its not because we aren't cultured or don't like good restaurants. (Well, OK there are a lot of Olive-Garden patrons out here, but not all of us!!)

If i had no kids I would definitely still be closer to the city. But gas would have to be REALLY high to get me to move closer strictly because of the commute. Like probably over $10 a gallon high. And at that point I would probably just buy a Tesla anyway. :D
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:42 pm

Chris M wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:
Chris M wrote:The depiction of the suburbs as a wasteland of chain restaurants and mini van driving stepford families piling giant plates of bland, commercially farmed and processed food into their faces is no longer accurate. We want healthy food for our families. We want to support local businesses. We want interesting options.

That is the paradigm shift I was referring to. Most people don't drive downtown to work anymore. Census data proves that out. Occupancy rates in downtown office buildings prove that out.

Don't take office occupancy rates as indicative of a huge paradigm shift, necessarily. That's just part of an always-revolving in-and-out cycle. Occupancy rates go up downtown, supply goes down, rates go up. Companies move workers to the suburban office parks where rents are cheaper. Vacancies downtown go up, rental rates go down, luring companies back in. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Previous