Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

Re: Yang Kee Noodle plans second shop at Middletown Commons

by Steve H » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:09 am

Iggy C wrote:"High style?" "Paradigm shift?"When talking about chain restaurants and go-karts, you might consider reigning it in a bit. Telecommuting and self-driving cars might make the suburbs less unattractive, but they don't change the basic equation of lower population density = sparser clusters of interesting people and stuff to do, unless you think the internet will make neighborhoods irrelevant.

It depends on your perspective doesn't it? You see denser clumps of interesting people and interesting things to do. I see potentially denser clumps of misanthropes and busybodies. And the interesting things to do?, They are just a short ride away. It's like having your cake and eating it.

Different strokes, and all that though. A philosophy to which you clearly do not subscribe.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:55 am

Kind of giggling here. I will consider Louisville to be more of a city when they get their cab/taxi fares in line with real cities. As it stands now a cab in Louisville will cost you more than one in London or New York. Unless you are a tourist using a taxi is still pretty much a rarity (unless you have a disability) but parking your car DT is still a pain in the tuckus. Bus lines are limited. In short no one really lives in the city, you just live in a congested area. With no grocery stores, bakeries, or decent shopping. Living in the suburbs isn't due to lack of imagination or not being interesting.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:17 am

First you said:

"Your primary style of debate is to categorize your opponent into an undesirable group and then dismiss them based on that."

But then:

"Different strokes, and all that though. A philosophy to which you clearly do not subscribe."

Please reflect on that first bit next time you want to invent my opinions for me.

All I said is that suburbs will generally have fewer interesting people and less interesting stuff happening because they don't have the density. There are exceptions for ethnic enclaves, for example Annandale VA, or the neighborhoods around Iroquois.

If you value big yards, Texas Roadhouse, and go-karts, and don't mind the commute, more power to you. Just don't tell me it's either "high style" or a "paradigm shift." And what is this misanthrope/busybody stuff? I grew up in a Southern suburb; no shortage of religious busybodies and misanthropic homeowners associations, unfortunately.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:24 am

Steve H wrote:Your primary style of debate is to categorize your opponent into an undesirable group and then dismiss them based on that. That way you don't have to understand their actual point of view. They are just haters, after all.

I'm not sure there's much point in responding to that further, Steve. :)
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:39 am

Iggy C wrote:First you said:
"Your primary style of debate is to categorize your opponent into an undesirable group and then dismiss them based on that."

But then:

"Different strokes, and all that though. A philosophy to which you clearly do not subscribe."

Please reflect on that first bit next time you want to invent my opinions for me.
Your thrust misses it's mark. I was addressing only your remarks. The assumption that suburbs are unattractive is right there in your statement that I quoted. You don't even consider that suburbs are attractive to some folks.

Iggy C wrote: All I said is that suburbs will generally have fewer interesting people and less interesting stuff happening because they don't have the density. There are exceptions for ethnic enclaves, for example Annandale VA, or the neighborhoods around Iroquois.
Well, thank goodness that some suburbs are not completely unfortunate looking! Once again, you can't even conceive of the fact that others might value different qualities than you.

Iggy C wrote:If you value big yards, Texas Roadhouse, and go-karts, and don't mind the commute, more power to you.
I do like a yard. Not overly large. I've been to Texas Roadhouse once. I telecommute. And I don't even know what you mean with the go-kart dig. So, do I get to express an opinion, or is it automatically illegitimate?

Iggy C wrote:Just don't tell me it's either "high style" or a "paradigm shift."
I didn't. But that's just another opinion from someone with different priorities than you. Which you dismiss out of hand.

Iggy C wrote:And what is this misanthrope/busybody stuff? I grew up in a Southern suburb; no shortage of religious busybodies and misanthropic homeowners associations, unfortunately.
Let me tell you something. The window replacement, alarm monitoring, and roofing company salesmen are much more annoying than any of my religious neighbors. And I choose neighborhoods with minimal or no HOAs.

My original point though, is that density has it's downsides as well as it's benefits. There would be more interesting people and more grating people. Hey they need a place to live too, just not in the apartment upstairs from me! Sorry, if you thought that my descriptives applied to you. I'm sure you are an excellent upstairs neighbor!
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:06 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve H wrote:Your primary style of debate is to categorize your opponent into an undesirable group and then dismiss them based on that. That way you don't have to understand their actual point of view. They are just haters, after all.

I'm not sure there's much point in responding to that further, Steve. :)

I know it's tough looking past that Marxist idee fixe.
:mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:13 am

Carla G wrote:Kind of giggling here. I will consider Louisville to be more of a city when they get their cab/taxi fares in line with real cities. As it stands now a cab in Louisville will cost you more than one in London or New York. Unless you are a tourist using a taxi is still pretty much a rarity (unless you have a disability) but parking your car DT is still a pain in the tuckus. Bus lines are limited. In short no one really lives in the city, you just live in a congested area. With no grocery stores, bakeries, or decent shopping. Living in the suburbs isn't due to lack of imagination or not being interesting.

Maybe Uber and Lyft can breakup some of that coziness between the cab companies and the regulatory bureaucrats? Seriously, the dream of urban Louisville utopia is greatly undermined by dirty, expensive cabs that use government authority to limit competition.

But somehow though (not looking at you Carla!), a $600 million light rail line from downtown to the airport will usher in a new era of mass transit and an an urban paradise of interesting people... only if petrol prices are high enough!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:10 pm

“your thrust misses it’s [sic] mark. I was addressing only your remarks.”

You don’t see the irony in acting sanctimonious about other unfairly lumping people into groups, and then going on a rampage of putting words in someone else’s mouth and attacking strawmen? As I said, it is fine to live in the suburbs if you want to. So when I see you describing my opinions using terms and phrases like “illegitimate,” “you dismiss out of hand,” “you don’t even consider,” and “you can’t even conceive” as though I was tyrannically policing and shutting down discussion, it’s hard not to arrive at the conclusion that you’re just projecting.

Anyway, you don’t want to live in a city. That’s fine. You have your reasons. But they aren’t a counterargument to the idea that density fosters foodie culture. And given that we’re on a board devoted to the discussion of restaurants, there’s no need to be so sensitive when you encounter people who value the food culture that density tends to produce – especially when you’re nominally against unfairly lumping people into categories.

If my liberal elitist rejection of Texas Roadhouse and go-karts as “high style” and a “paradigm shift” set you off, I apologize. Now I must be on my way: I have to ride my fixie to a coffeeshop to pontificate in Spanish about Sepp Blatter to foreigners over kombucha.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:21 pm

Iggy C wrote:I have to ride my fixie

You don't have a Segway? Peasant! :lol:
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:25 pm

Iggy C wrote:You don’t see the irony in acting sanctimonious

I'm the least sanctimonious dude on the planet. No exaggeration!
:lol:

Iggy C wrote:about other unfairly lumping people into groups, and then going on a rampage of putting words in someone else’s mouth

I don't recall putting any words in your mouth. Can you show me where I did that?

Iggy C wrote:and attacking strawmen?
I was discussing your words. Now you are saying live where you want to live, but you are dismissive of alternate suburban lifestyles. You don't want to own that?

Iggy C wrote: As I said, it is fine to live in the suburbs if you want to. So when I see you describing my opinions using terms and phrases like “illegitimate,” “you dismiss out of hand,” “you don’t even consider,” and “you can’t even conceive” as though I was tyrannically policing and shutting down discussion, it’s hard not to arrive at the conclusion that you’re just projecting.

I was not using 'illegitimate' to describe your views, but how it is that you view others' descriptions of their own neighborhoods.

Telling folks which words they can't use to describe their neighborhoods is what? Admissive?
Considerate? Open to conceiving different point of views?

Tyranny, is your word not mine. But keep talking about projecting!
:roll:

Iggy C wrote:Anyway, you don’t want to live in a city. That’s fine. You have your reasons.

Thanks! Thank you so much for allowing me to live where I want! And acknowledging that I might have reasons. What If I said that my suburban telecommuting lifestyle was 'High Style' and represented a 'paradigm shift'? Am I allowed to do that?

Iggy C wrote:But they aren’t a counterargument to the idea that density fosters foodie culture.
]I don't remember doing that.

Iggy C wrote:And given that we’re on a board devoted to the discussion of restaurants, there’s no need to be so sensitive when you encounter people who value the food culture that density tends to produce
I don't remember doing that either. But someone mention that there are good food options outside the Watterson, well, you seem sensitive to that!

Iggy C wrote: – especially when you’re nominally against unfairly lumping people into categories.
I don't remember calling it unfair. It does amuse me to note when 'diversity' culture only has room for certain kinds of diversity. Robin is free to categorize folks to his heart's content. And I'm free to keep noticing.

Iggy C wrote:If my liberal elitist rejection of Texas Roadhouse and go-karts as “high style” and a “paradigm shift” set you off, I apologize.
No apologies are necessary. I was never 'set off'. And I don't remember mentioning anything about any liberal elitist dispositions either. Did you imagine me pounding on a keyboard in front of a flect spittled monitor railing against those "libruls"?
You so don't get me.
8)

Iggy C wrote:Now I must be on my way: I have to ride my fixie to a coffeeshop to pontificate in Spanish about Sepp Blatter to foreigners over kombucha.
Sounds like fun. I bet you like pontificating!
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:48 pm

Greenbean just delivered another batch of delicious food. So, no need to fire up the go-kart and go to the grocery. I'll just stay in and split more flecks at my monitor! We have it so rough outside the "Urban Services District". No wonder I'm so angry all the time. If only there were hipsters walking by my window. Certainly, that would improve things.

Say, is that another Amazon package?

no avatar
User

Chris M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:10 pm

The Ville

by Chris M » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Iggy C wrote:"High style?" "Paradigm shift?" When talking about chain restaurants and go-karts, you might consider reigning it in a bit. Telecommuting and self-driving cars might make the suburbs less unattractive, but they don't change the basic equation of lower population density = sparser clusters of interesting people and stuff to do, unless you think the internet will make neighborhoods irrelevant.

This thread is about Yang Kee Noodle. Not really a "chain restaurant". I also mentioned The Comfy Cow. Chain? Louvino? How about Wild Eggs? Corbett's? The Bristol? Chop Shop Salads? Shalimar? The Village Anchor? Anchorage Cafe? Z's? Guaca Mole? Mussel and Burger Bar? The new tapas place in Westport Village. Napa River Grill? Hiko-a-mon?. etc. etc.

There is an argument to make that many of the city's newer and more interesting restaurants are locating in the "east end".

My point in listing the chains is that they will draw traffic to that area and Yang Kee Noodle can feed off that.

And what do you have against go-kart tracks? Or families for that matter?

Yes, people in the suburbs are family oriented. We have school aged children. We have pets. We drive vehicles that we can fit the whole family into. We like yards for them to play in, quiet streets for them to ride their bikes around and a reduced crime rate so we feel they are as safe as possible. We like for there to be things that we can all do together. As a family.

Because that is what we do in the suburbs. Family things. With our families. And sometimes Mommy and Daddy like to have a night out without the kids. We can do that too. All without so much as sitting in traffic, dealing with a drunk idiot, being accosted by a homeless person or driving in circles for an hour trying to find parking.

I get the appeal of urban living for young couples, single people and older folks who's kids have moved on. I also get the appeal of the quiet suburbs for raising families and staying out of the hustle and bustle.

One isn't better than the other, and I feel sorry for people who think they are better than someone else because of the life style they choose.

I live, work and play outside the Watterson and I my life is no less rich than someone who lives inside the Watterson. I drive into town when I need to because as has been pointed out, this is Louisville. Everything is 20 minutes away.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:20 pm

Chris M wrote:This thread is about Yang Kee Noodle.

True! :) And I have no quarrel with the substance of your remarks, Chris, other than to note that there are pockets of suburbia that don't fit your picture as well as they used to do. The 'burbs are less homogeneous than they were when the Baby Boom was groing up, and that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm a little bemused, though. My original post, I thought, said something like, "the world is changing, and I wonder if an economic nose dive and a return to very high gas prices might fuel (see what I did there?) a flight back to the city from the suburbs. If that happens, will all these restaurants survive?"

I didn't intend it as a city-vs-suburbs hatefest. As I pointed out, I work in the suburbs now and have some small pastoral concern for some suburban residents. I take that seriously. I don't even need a passport to go out Westport Road any more.

Perhaps it would be worth asking, "why did a lot of people read this as criticism? Did I fail to communicate well, or did others fail to listen well, or both?"
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:30 pm

I'll will take the blame for that.

Based on your past comments, I read your post more along the lines of wishful thinking.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:31 pm

Steve H wrote:I'll will take the blame for that.

Based on your past comments, I read your post more along the lines of wishful thinking.

That's gracious, and I honor that. No harm, no foul! 8)
PreviousNext