Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Sunday Brunch @ Louis le Français

by RichardM » Sun May 31, 2015 1:47 pm

Meh.

Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Sunday Brunch @ Louis le Français

by Mark R. » Sun May 31, 2015 2:52 pm

Okay, I'll bite, what did you have and why did you give it that rating?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sun May 31, 2015 11:12 pm

Yeah, what's the story on this post?
James J. Natsis
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:19 am

We've enjoyed Louis on several dinner visits. Never tried the brunch, though.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:04 am

It was not at all what we expected. We arrived about 12:30, it was not crowded at all. Waited close to 10 minutes to be acknowledged. After being seated and giving our drink orders, we went to the buffet. A lot of the dishes listed on their web site were not there, no crepes, no quiche. There were signs to identify the foods. In the salad area, 4 were listed, 3 were there, no big deal, maybe refilling (it never was). Moved onto hot foods. The "casserole" pan had a couple of spoons of what appeared to be a beef dish, it looked pretty dried out. The chicken ragout was plentiful, though the taste was overwhelmingly carrot, not chicken. There were no Eggs Benedict, though when a passing chef noticed I was looking for them, made one for me that was great. The French Toast was good, made with a quality French bread, but no butter was on the buffet and the syrup in a squeeze bottle was almost empty (and never refilled while we were there). It took asking 3 people to get some butter at the table. The bacon and potatoes were good. The "bisquits" (their spelling) were hard on the bottoms and the gravy had adequate sausage, but was not creamy. The omelet station was not consistently staffed and several people had to wait until someone noticed them standing there. I did not have an omelet, but they looked good. Hubby asked for eggs over medium and said they were OK. The dessert station again had a sign posted, but several listed items were MIA. The fruit bowl was almost empty, never refilled. The chocolate mousse was not overly sweet, the cake with berries and raspberry sauce was good.

Service was friendly, but spotty. Took several trys to get requests filled and at one point, the server refilled my iced tea, but completely ignored hubby's coffee.

I know it is difficult to keep a buffet up, but it really was almost ignored here. If you are going to have buffet service, you have to keep things ON the buffet. I was expecting a better experience based on their reviews. That is probably why Richard was "Meh".
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:12 am

That sure doesn't sound very French! I almost wonder if Louis is leasing it out on Sundays, a la SuperChefs, only with less capable contractors.

Some might say that a buffet isn't the best way to judge a restaurant in any case, but if the Frenchiest thing about it was the "French" toast, then I'd suggest visiting Louis again when they're doing their thing. :mrgreen:
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:12 pm

Oh, Louis was there and made some omelets. The web site had several French dishes listed as being on the buffet, like quiche, spinach crepes, leek salad, but weren't. It was not particularly bad, just not what I would pay $14 for. I love crepes and quiche and was looking forward to them. I heard several folks remarking that he put apples in the omelets, which I found odd.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:17 pm

Buffets, with the occasional exception of Indian ones, are almost always terrible. In my limited experience.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:57 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Buffets, with the occasional exception of Indian ones, are almost always terrible. In my limited experience.

I generally agree, although there are enough exceptions to make a general rule problematical. Captain's Quarters, Napa River Grill, Silver Dollar, El Camino, the Bristol (sometimes), most of the downtown hotels, generally do a good job.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:30 am

Suzi Bernert wrote:It was not at all what we expected. We arrived about 12:30, it was not crowded at all. Waited close to 10 minutes to be acknowledged. After being seated and giving our drink orders, we went to the buffet. A lot of the dishes listed on their web site were not there, no crepes, no quiche. There were signs to identify the foods. In the salad area, 4 were listed, 3 were there, no big deal, maybe refilling (it never was). Moved onto hot foods. The "casserole" pan had a couple of spoons of what appeared to be a beef dish, it looked pretty dried out. The chicken ragout was plentiful, though the taste was overwhelmingly carrot, not chicken. There were no Eggs Benedict, though when a passing chef noticed I was looking for them, made one for me that was great. The French Toast was good, made with a quality French bread, but no butter was on the buffet and the syrup in a squeeze bottle was almost empty (and never refilled while we were there). It took asking 3 people to get some butter at the table. The bacon and potatoes were good. The "bisquits" (their spelling) were hard on the bottoms and the gravy had adequate sausage, but was not creamy. The omelet station was not consistently staffed and several people had to wait until someone noticed them standing there. I did not have an omelet, but they looked good. Hubby asked for eggs over medium and said they were OK. The dessert station again had a sign posted, but several listed items were MIA. The fruit bowl was almost empty, never refilled. The chocolate mousse was not overly sweet, the cake with berries and raspberry sauce was good.

Service was friendly, but spotty. Took several trys to get requests filled and at one point, the server refilled my iced tea, but completely ignored hubby's coffee.

I know it is difficult to keep a buffet up, but it really was almost ignored here. If you are going to have buffet service, you have to keep things ON the buffet. I was expecting a better experience based on their reviews. That is probably why Richard was "Meh".

What she wrote.

The biscuits were hard like cookies.

Her iced tea was 1/3 full and got replaced, my (hard to say this word) DECAF coffee cup was empty and I never got offered a refill.

The sausage gravy while having sausage, had an off flavor, not spoiled but like made with butter milk. An ever so slight tang to it. Some dishes should not be played with. Biscuits and gravy should really be country sausage and flaky biscuits.

When the chef was making my eggs he struggled to flip them with a mixing bowl spatula. I finally suggested he flip them with
the skillet. He did it like a pro.

The french toast batter did not taste like there was any sugar in it.

I can not say anything was bad. But it is hard to say much was any better than adequate.

For me, I think that the brunch at The Rud on Oak St is the best one in the area. Amy's baking is outstanding and they have Nord's doughnuts. Will always seems to have something new and his fried chicken is excellent. If I were allowed I would just put a chair in front of the chafing pan with the Hot Brown Casserole.

That said ... It's an opinion and amazingly enough everyone has one just a like everyone has a nose. My opinion is the brunch was "Meh".
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:18 am

El Camino has a buffet?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:22 am

Iggy C wrote:El Camino has a buffet?

Oh, my bad. They have a special brunch MENU, not a buffet. This actually supports my prior assertion that one who dines at a buffet should not expect to see the restaurant at its creative best.
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:25 am

El Camino's Brunch definitely doesn't have a buffet. I run the brunch there, and we have plantain pancakes, Chiliquilles, Huevos Rancheros, Tamal Hash, Sticky Buns, Semita Sandwich (The best sandwich I have ever had in my life!), Our "John Wayne", Steak and Eggs, Bacon and crispy potatoes, Masa Biscuits and Chorizo Gravy, Black Forest Ham with Charro Beans, A Yogurt Parfait, Crispy Potatoes. We also can do pretty much any type of omelet, given the ingredients we have on hand, eggs any way, regular bacon, or thick cut "de Panza" pork belly bacon. That is the breakfast side of brunch, we also offer our tacos, salads, ceviche, and enchiladas suizas.

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from 10 am until 5 pm.
Reservations are recommended on Saturday and Sunday brunch.

As far as buffets go, we do have a free industry night buffet of roasted pig, tortillas and all the fixin's to make tacos. This starts on Sunday nights at 10 pm, with a movie. Come out and enjoy!
no avatar
User

Rick Boman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:26 am

by Rick Boman » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:30 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Iggy C wrote:El Camino has a buffet?

Oh, my bad. They have a special brunch MENU, not a buffet. This actually supports my prior assertion that one who dines at a buffet should not expect to see the restaurant at its creative best.

I have worked at places that do brunch buffets and do stay creative with the options and freshness of the product. Most of those were country clubs, but J. Harrod's used to do a kick ass brunch buffet, I am not sure how it is now but was always good when I worked there or ate there.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:44 pm

RichardM wrote:That said ... It's an opinion and amazingly enough everyone has one just a like everyone has a nose. My opinion is the brunch was "Meh".

Opinion acknowledged and respected. The only concern was the initial lack of détails . That has been addressed.
James J. Natsis