Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

todd richards

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:00 am

Organic, Wagyu Beef, Heirloom etc.

by todd richards » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:09 pm

As a chef I think all of these items really matter to the meal we are serving. My question is does it really matter to patrons? Also does it need to be highlighted in every menu item or would that be assumed by the place you are visiting?

Thanks in advanced for any responses.

Todd richards
Executive Chef
The Oakroom/Seelbach
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:18 pm

Well, I don't eat the beef products, but I certainly know what those items are and I would direct my dining companions to try them. If you're talking heirloom vegetables, particularly tomatoes, I would go out of my way to order them.

So, YES!!! it does make a difference, at least to me.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:20 pm

It matters as long as there is truth in advertising. I have become leary of seeing wagyu or kobe on menus when the beef turns out to be wagyu or kobe "style" beef. The same is true of heirloom tomatoes, real foie gras, bresse chicken, true "sashimi grade" tuna, etc.

If the beef is really Prime, I want to know. If it is really aged, I want to know. I might pay $45 for a real aged, prime ribe eye, but I am not going to pay $45 for a good piece of choice rib-eye.

Are the scallops really day-boat? are they really diver scallops? Are the shrimp really key west pinks, or are they frozen from Vietnam?
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:22 pm

Oh gosh, Ron, I assumed Todd meant he was being, you know, truthful and all
no avatar
User

todd richards

{ RANK }

Foodie

Both great answers

by todd richards » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:38 pm

Thank you both for your answers.

We are looking at some new menu formats and we are debating if people assumed that our products were high quailty or did we have to state it on every menu item.
User

Ryan B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:22 pm

by Ryan B » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:13 pm

I think it can get a little tiresome when every menu description throws out tons and tons of adjectives to describe each ingredient. Sometimes a simple line at the bottom of the menu describing that the ingredients are organic, or from some specific farm, etc. do a good enough job of conveying the quality without making item descriptions too overwhelming.
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

It does matter ...

by RebeccaWebb » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:22 pm

Speaking from the side of an organic farmer AND someone who likes to go out to eat at the places we do business, YES, it does mean something when we see ORGANIC or HEIRLOOM or LOCAL or KOBE etc. I think more people are starting to really think about what they eat, where it comes from, and how it is raised. For example, I would think a vegetarian would be more apt to choose a menu item if it said it was organically grown baby squash rather than just baby squash.

By adding these descriptions to your menus, it helps to validate not only what you as a chef/restaurant are trying to do with the food, it also gives validity to a certain way of farming.
Rebecca Phillips Webb
no avatar
User

C. Devlin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:42 pm

by C. Devlin » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:48 pm

I think that if you go out of your way to use organic or heirloom or unusual specialty food stuffs it's to your advantage to let your patrons know. But you don't want to clutter up your menu descriptions too much either. Or anyway as a customer navigating a menu, I'm not crazy about tripping over elaborate descriptions, although maybe others don't mind.

As somebody else noted, either a brief footnote, or an unobtrusive separate notation on the menu might work nicely. That would be my own preference -- a brief paragraph noting a particular philosophy and how you incorporate it into your cooking. Because frankly to simply see "heirloom" or "organic" something or other on a menu doesn't tell me much. I'd like to know where the heirloom or organic items originate, how the folks who produce the stuff figure into your foods, and how the whole thing works to inform a sort of philosophy of food production and agriculture, cooking/baking and eating and community and so forth.

It's complex, but it doesn't have to be complicated or over-written.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Organic, Wagyu Beef, Heirloom etc.

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:19 pm

todd richards wrote:Thanks in advanced for any responses.

Chiming in from Verona, I'm strongly with Ron: Do tell us legitimate information that qualifies the products. Don't exaggerate, though. You know I've zinged you guys, even, for the "Kobe" thing in the past. I DO knock off ratings points for that. But particularly when it comes to quality local products - Capriole cheese, Sheltowee Farm mushrooms, Stone Creek Farm pork - please, please do tell us, and encourage your customers to buy natural, and to think about "food miles."

That's another reason to pick Green River steaks over Texas Wagyu, by the way: When you can buy quality close to home, there's a strong argument for doing that, and letting your patrons know. A lot of us WILL support local restaurants that support local farms.,
no avatar
User

todd richards

{ RANK }

Foodie

you did zing us and rightfully so

by todd richards » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:43 pm

When you "zinged" us it raised a lot of questions for ourselves. We label our Wagyu beef since; but we have found that some patrons do not know what it is. It has become a log conversation at some tables but it is still the right thing to do. We started adding longer descriptions but it became to much to read. So we are trying to find the minalistic way to explain the food. Our menu is still wordy compared to some of the new and modern places, but we have to expalin ourselves more to the pre 2004 clients we have. It is not a huge blip on the radar; however it is something that can slow service and for me that is a problem.

By modern places I mean Alinea, Avenues etc.
User

RebeccaWebb

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:54 am

Lexington, KY

Re: Organic, Wagyu Beef, Heirloom etc.

by RebeccaWebb » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:43 pm

Robin Garr wrote:A lot of us WILL support local restaurants that support local farms.,

Well said Robin ... thanks!
Rebecca Phillips Webb
no avatar
User

todd richards

{ RANK }

Foodie

zinged us and you were right

by todd richards » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:47 pm

When you "zinged" us it raised a lot of questions for ourselves. We label our Wagyu beef since; but we have found that some patrons do not know what it is. It has become a log conversation at some tables but it is still the right thing to do. We started adding longer descriptions but it became to much to read. So we are trying to find the minalistic way to explain the food. Our menu is still wordy compared to some of the new and modern places (or modernly viewed places), but we have to expalin ourselves more. It is not a huge blip on the radar; however it is something that can slow service and for me that is a problem.
In some ways we are stuck between a rock and a hard place; but that is the quandry we face.

Thanks again for your responses.
By modern places I mean Alinea, Avenues etc.
User

Laura SS

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:26 pm

Highlands

by Laura SS » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:07 pm

C. Devlin wrote:As somebody else noted, either a brief footnote, or an unobtrusive separate notation on the menu might work nicely. ... It's complex, but it doesn't have to be complicated or over-written.

I agree with Devlin. This seems like a great way to balance two opposing needs: disclosure and brevity. Robin and the others also nail the point -- we want to use our dollars to vote our consciences, and we hope other people may be brought into the fold. It's much easier to do that when we're clearly told what we're eating.

There's another reason to include a more fleshed-out philosophy. When someone makes their first trip to the Oakroom (or any local restaurant), they may not know what to expect (business trippers, vacationers, new arrivals, visiting family, etc). I'm a relatively recent Louisvillian whose budget hasn't yet permitted a trip to the Oakroom. If I didn't know about this site, I might have heard of you, but I also might not realize everything involved in the top tier experience ... and why it's worth it. As just one example, we can all benefit from the opportunity to learn what fine food really involves.

Besides, it helps a fancy spot seem even fancier. :wink:
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

VERONA

by Heather Y » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:36 pm

Robin,
Have a wonderful trip, and say hello to (spirit) Romeo and Juliet!

Todd, you can print your menu on a paper bag, and people would be happy!

I had the wagyui tasting and you can tell the difference in meats!
YUM! yum yum yum yum yum yum yum!
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

menu descriptions

by Sonja W » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:53 pm

I enjoy reading the details and sources of ingredients on a menu. For me, it adds to the interest and experience of a special meal. I'm also glad when the growers/providers of a product are recognized for their contribution to a wonderful dish.
Next