Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Yummy Pollo

User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Yummy Pollo

by Gary Guss » Fri May 29, 2015 5:05 pm

Went there for lunch today. They specialize in charcoal rotisserie chicken. Chicken was great, they dry rub it and cook it slowly in the rotisserie and it stays moist and has a nice charcoal flavor and crispy skin. They have 2 sauces, one is a yellow creamy sauce that has no bite but more of a mayo type mild aioli with a hint of curry. The other is a spicy creamy green sauce with jalepeno and lots of cilantro. The sides are kind of a mixed bag, all are well prepared but mostly slanted to an American audience, green beans, mixed vegetables, coleslaw, fries, mashed potatoes and the like along with peruvian rice and chickpeas. Prices were reasonable at $6.25 for a quarter chicken with 2 sides. Counter service was very friendly and went out of their way to be welcoming and explain how they make the chicken and the sauces and sides. Very clean and quick, we'll add it to our rotation for lunch. http://yummypollo.com/ This would make a great little franchise operation.
This place is next to the Cafe Sensaba, in the Bishops lane shopping center at Newburg and Bishops lane, which has turned into a small international center, has a Hal-el meat place and an international market and chinese restaurant. The whole center has been remodeled and looks great.
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

Re: Yummy Pollo

by Mary Anne » Fri May 29, 2015 5:22 pm

Always choose the Yucca fries if they have them...they are delicious!
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:35 pm

Tried this place today based on this thread. It may end up being our regular Saturday lunch stop. Simple concept; rotisserie chicken and sides The chicken is crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. I'll get extra dipping sauce next time. The owner is very friendly and came by the table to chat for a minute.
no avatar
User

Adam D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:13 am

by Adam D » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:54 pm

Insane good chicken and the owner is friendly and hospitable...great place. I've been once and got the half w chickpeas and cilantro rice. It was all fantastic. Only complaint would be the sauces were very small and I didn't think the "hot"
had the kick I was looking for.
no avatar
User

ShannonWilliams1

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:22 am

by ShannonWilliams1 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:47 am

Yummy Pollo is waaaaaaaay off our beaten path and I STILL pick it up once a week or more.

Excellent and healthy!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Aug 30, 2015 3:42 pm

ShannonWilliams1 wrote:Yummy Pollo is waaaaaaaay off our beaten path and I STILL pick it up once a week or more.

Excellent and healthy!

Thanks for adding your testimony, Shannon, and welcome to the forum!
no avatar
User

paula.evans

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:11 pm

by paula.evans » Tue May 03, 2016 12:05 pm

We went there last night to eat in after work and it was truly wonderful! The rub that he uses on the chicken (antibiotic free by the way) makes the crust so delectable. And no oil at all on the chicken. I cannot get enough of the jalapeno/cilantro green sauce. I put in on my cilantro rice as well as dipped my chicken into it. My husband loved the milder sauce and the white gravy on the mashed potatoes. The sides are very much peruvian meets the southern part of the US and that makes sense since he came from Virginia before landing in Louisville. It was a very clean restaurant and we loved that the owner gave us samples of the yucca fries and dessert. This is one of the best rotisserie chickens that I've had and I'm sure its due to the charcoal and the seasonings that Yummy Pollo uses.

Side note, when we arrived they had 2 skewers of whole chickens on their roasting pit. They were all gone by the time that we left. Business is brisk and many people definitely carry out to take home for dinner.