Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Four days in and around Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu May 28, 2015 10:32 pm

While the local paper isn't worth much, there was an interesting article today asking some of the top chefs in the city where they would take a visitor! I recommend the article - plus, you can go to each of the interviewed chefs' restaurants and you'd be hitting eight chefs who have cooked in the James Beard House in NYC around 20 times, along with most of the top tables in Louisville! (and, most are casual, and most have some version of a Sunday brunch)

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /28006227/
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Fri May 29, 2015 6:29 am

A couple of tips from somebody born in the Chicago Metropolitan Area: Traffic in Louisville is nothing like Chicago. Unless you get stuck in the interstate reconstruction downtown here, you can get most anywhere within about 20 minutes. Also, we enjoy dining al fresco, but watch the weather. It looks like it’s going to get pretty warm (close to 90) by the end of next week. That means humid, and if you’re sitting still it can get a bit uncomfortable.

My recommendations for food:
    The Ville Taqueria – Mexican street food kicked up a notch.
    Eiderdown – Comfort food and some interesting beers on tap.
    Game – Burgers made out of venison, boar and other… game. Great fries.
    Irish Rover – Delicious fish and chips and Guinness in a local Irish pub.
    Toast on Market – They do great brunch.
    Anoosh Bistro – If you fancy something a bit more upscale, great food.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri May 29, 2015 9:17 am

I'd recommend Varanese for affordable casual fine dining. They have a great covered patio and usually live jazz (pretty mellow) in the evenings.

And I have to mention Decca. They have the best patio evah! It is fine dining, but it is casual like most places in town.

No al fresco, but maybe still worth a visit...

Guac Mole.
This is what I'd call mid-scale Mexican Food. They have some unique dishes. I like the Spicy Chicken Enchiladas in a creamy verde sauce. Others swear by the short rib nachos. They also have a Sunday Brunch.

Cafe Lou Lou's.
They have a sorta Cajun/Italian fusion thing going on. Two locations. Good salads. Good craft beer selections. Good pizza and calzones and jumbalaya and lavash wraps. My favs are the chicken portobello wrap and veggie calzone (ask for the marinara on the side instead of built-in).
no avatar
User

christina.annes1

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu May 28, 2015 4:58 pm

by christina.annes1 » Fri May 29, 2015 12:57 pm

You guys are absolutely awesome!!! You gave me everything I was hoping for and more.

We've had another awful winter and super chilly spring. 90's are sounding wonderful though that might change once we're down there so thanks for the heads up, Steve!

Pictures of Selena's patio looks great. And the food! Mussels and Burger Bar looks super tasty. I'm working my way through the menus at all places you've all suggested for me.
Plus, the Fernando Martinez recommendation is perfect! We have a couple restaurateurs up here with the golden touch that we love.

And thank you so much for the article! I plan on reading it as soon as I get a free, uninterrupted moment.

One last thing... We have a pathetic food truck scene up here. How is it in Louisville? Is there a particular place they gather? Anything remarkable and worth seeking out?
no avatar
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri May 29, 2015 1:47 pm

christina.annes wrote:One last thing... We have a pathetic food truck scene up here. How is it in Louisville? Is there a particular place they gather? Anything remarkable and worth seeking out?

We have some, but apparently they are hard to keep track of.
no avatar
User

christina.annes1

{ RANK }

Just got here

by christina.annes1 » Fri May 29, 2015 2:40 pm

Aahhh, thank you. I meant to go back to read that thread. Wish cities would be more open to creating a space for food trucks to go.
no avatar
User

Steve Eslinger

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:42 pm

Highlands

by Steve Eslinger » Fri May 29, 2015 6:38 pm

If you want to try something that is unique to Louisville, you may want to fit in lunch at J. Graham's in the Brown Hotel (Fourth and Broadway) and sample their Hot Brown. Google it to get an idea as to what it is. Think decadently rich. Gary's on Spring has a version as an appetizer that is great as well, and might be a good option for dinner. They also have a fairly nice patio. Too bad you're a few years too late to sample Mazzoni's rolled oyster, another Louisville original.
no avatar
User

christina.annes1

{ RANK }

Just got here

by christina.annes1 » Fri May 29, 2015 8:12 pm

I don't have a ton of available eating time in Louisville and wasn't sure if the Hot Brown was worth it.

I'm intrigued by this rolled oyster, though.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 29, 2015 8:30 pm

christina.annes1 wrote:I don't have a ton of available eating time in Louisville and wasn't sure if the Hot Brown was worth it.

The Brown Hotel, now run by a national chain, gets a lot of publicity out of it. :mrgreen:

I'm intrigued by this rolled oyster, though.

Home Run Burgers, a local shop with a couple of properties, has the old recipe and does a credible version, but only seasonally. With no "r" in May, June, July or August, you're probably out of luck.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Fri May 29, 2015 10:47 pm

Wait so is the green smiley face sarcasm? Because if so you haven't seen my patio recently.
no avatar
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Sat May 30, 2015 12:58 am

I like a lot of the suggestions so far but I'll throw in my two cents...

Seviche is a must. Of all the places that get too much hype on this board, Anthony actually deserves his.

For brunch... I can't discount Selena's because I haven't been there for that particular meal but I will suggest North End Cafe.

Drinks and apps? Go with Silver Dollar.

Wanna get drunk and have fun? Doc Crows.

I love that there's no mention of 610 Magnolia or Corbett's anywhere in here. Probably the most overrated experiences for the money in the city. Not hating, but you mentioned new wave American/southern cuisine and that's what they do.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 30, 2015 8:10 am

Nora Boyle wrote:Wait so is the green smiley face sarcasm? Because if so you haven't seen my patio recently.

Oh, no! I never think of Mr Green as sarcasm. Just a beaming happy smile. El Mundo's patio is awesome, but in a unique way. Umm ... let's see, which face to use ... 8)
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Sat May 30, 2015 8:20 am

Well I like that one too. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 30, 2015 8:26 am

Nora Boyle wrote:Well I like that one too. :mrgreen:

One thing about El Mundo's patio ... first-time visitors might want to know about the trains. I think they make it more interesting, myself ....
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat May 30, 2015 10:17 am

Gary Z wrote:I love that there's no mention of 610 Magnolia or Corbett's anywhere in here. Probably the most overrated experiences for the money in the city. Not hating, but you mentioned new wave American/southern cuisine and that's what they do.

For the same two chefs - and MUCH less expense - you can hit Milkwood (in the basement of our Actor's Theater - think Goodman), run by Edward Lee of 610 (check out the menu on-line - very unusual, fun, and "new Southern"!), or go to Corbett's (arguably in most people's top 5 tables in the region, and the guy who - possibly with Cathy Cary of Lilly's - helped invent New Southern!) and sit outside on the veranda enjoying a less expensive lunch (or even less expensive dinner!).

As you may have noticed, Louisville has a LOT of good restaurants, especially given the population of the city! True, we don't have a Hugo's Frog Bar or Slurping Turtle (2 places I went to last week), but our Basa is better than the overpriced Le Colonial, chef Peng Looi took his $55 Asiatique tasting menu to Chicago for a "guest chef" slot for $150(!) several years ago, and we were doing lovacore before most places in Chicago. The easiest way to get into a fight here is to recommend a restaurant in a crowded room, as with 12 people you'll end up with 32 recommendations!
Andrew Mellman
PreviousNext