Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

christina.annes

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed May 27, 2015 5:21 pm

Four days in and around Louisville

by christina.annes » Thu May 28, 2015 1:38 pm

Hello everyone.

My husband and I will be coming down to Louisville next weekend(so excited :D ) for a few distillery tours and good food. Our home base will be right outside Louisville and we, obviously, don't mind driving. We are hoping for a couple recommendations for delicious, casual food... maybe some place with outdoor seating?

I'll say that we are BBQ'd out with all the new spots that have opened in Chicago. We love Mexican and southern style American food. Also, we'd love a recommendation for an elevated breakfast/brunch on Sunday before we head out for some kayaking. We travel casually and do not rush. We like sitting and enjoying each others company and the hopefully great food and drinks in front of us. I hope this gives you all something to go on.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Four days in and around Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu May 28, 2015 2:36 pm

You might want to check out viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22987

A fellow Chicagoan asked a similar question a few weeks ago, and those were the responses (and his reaction to the places he visited)!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

christina.annes

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed May 27, 2015 5:21 pm

by christina.annes » Thu May 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Thank you, Andrew. I had read that post previous to posting and felt it leaned a bit towards upscale, fine dining. I was simply hoping for some specific advice on casual eateries with possible outdoor dining and breakfast options. No biggie. I'll continue my research. Thanks again.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 28, 2015 2:49 pm

In addition to Andrew's suggestion, based on your comment, you might want to put Seviche (dine outdoors if the weather is right) and Mayan Cafe on your list. "Mexican" may not quite get it, but Seviche's upscale pan-Latino cuisine - based on seviche but going far beyond - and Mayan Gypsy's chef-driven Mayan-Yucatan cuisine in an attractive modern setting are both uniquely Louisville and spectacularly Latino.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 28, 2015 2:52 pm

Also, Con Huevos for breakfast and its next-door neighbor El Mundo for lunch or dinner, if "casual" and "informal" are on your list. El Mundo also has some interesting outdoor options - a couple of sidewalk tables on Frankfort Avenue, one of our urban "restaurant rows," or a small space behind the building that kind of has to be seen to be believed. :mrgreen:

If you want real taquerias, we can give you plenty of advice there, and some are very good, although I doubt you'll improve on your options on Chicago's West Side.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu May 28, 2015 3:14 pm

For outdoor dining, its hard to beat the overall expeirence at Captain's Quarters located at the meeting point of the Ohio River and Harrods Creek. It is off river road not too far from downtown. It is an impressive amalgam of outdoor decks and nice vegetation that seats hundreds inside and out just at the edge of the river. The short 1/4 mile entrance takes you past a gated community with a significant number of yachts docked for easy access to the river via the creek. The food is not extraordinary, but definately of a very acceptable order. I've taken dozens of people there from out of town. Everyone is a bit taken aback by the experience.

http://www.cqriverside.com/
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Thu May 28, 2015 3:24 pm

All are pretty casual and have some sort of outside seating

El Mundo
Mojito
Havana Rumba
Coals
El Camino
Silver Dollar
Against the Grain - bbq
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Thu May 28, 2015 3:31 pm

JustinHammond wrote:All are pretty casual and have some sort of outside seating

El Mundo
Mojito
Havana Rumba
Coals
El Camino
Silver Dollar
Against the Grain - bbq

Can't go wrong here with any of these suggestions. I would add The Craft House on Frankfort Ave and Mussel Burger Bar and Guaca-Mole
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu May 28, 2015 4:02 pm

Hmmm...you said your home base was outside Louisville but didn't say in which direction. If you are out near Anchorage you might consider Selena's with a really sweet deck to enjoy some Louisiana cooking or The Anchor. There's a great, authentic Mexican cafe not far from there too called El Mariatchi on Hwy 146. Middletown has a nice, little fried fish joint called Rumors found on Shelbyville Rd. ( Fried fish, cold beer and raw oysters.) These are all downscale (and certainly not doing any culinary trailblazing ) from the other post but good food none the less.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

christina.annes1

{ RANK }

Just got here

Thu May 28, 2015 4:58 pm

by christina.annes1 » Thu May 28, 2015 5:16 pm

Thanks, guys! Really, really appreciate the feedback! I'm made note of all your suggestions. A few I already had book marked(silver dollar, against the grain,...) and a few I hadn't come across yet. As much research as I can do on my own, there are so many spots that only a local would know about. :)
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Thu May 28, 2015 6:06 pm

Seconding Carla's recommendation, if you want a wonderful brunch (or any other meal!) on a gorgeous patio, go to Selena's!!! They are very welcoming and casual, pretty diverse menu and one of the greatest outdoor spaces in all of Louisville! www.selenasrestaurant.com Hope you enjoy your time in Lousville :D
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu May 28, 2015 6:12 pm

I heard Eiderdown has some outdoor seating now, for what that's worth.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu May 28, 2015 6:28 pm

Every suggestion that's been made are certainly good ones. I'm kind of partial to Selena's and Coal's however. Also Guacamole and the Muscle and Burger Bar are both excellent. It's worth noting that both of those plus Mojito's and Havana Rumba as as well as several other restaurants in town plus a food truck are all the result of the same person, Fernando Martinez. It seems like any restaurant he touches here in Louisville turns into gold! You definitely need to try at least one of his restaurants while you are here.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu May 28, 2015 6:42 pm

Strongly agree with Captain's Quarters! They have a good Sunday brunch - it won't break any new ground, and certainly isn't "gourmet", but the combination of outdoor dining overlooking the river with a decent brunch can't be beat!

Another outdoor option is Napa River Grill, an upscale restaurant with a nice Sunday brunch in a shopping center - Westport Village - (that also houses a great sushi and Japanese place (indoor - Hiko-a-Mon)), a local ice cream shop (in or out, Comfy Cow), and a local pizza and breakfast places (both in or out, Tony Boomboz and Wild Eggs).

And, if you live near Northbrook - and haven't been to Graeter's Ice Cream yet - you can go to any of the five of them around Louisville!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu May 28, 2015 6:46 pm

Mark R. wrote:Also Guacamole and the Muscle and Burger Bar are both excellent.

(Slapping my forehead!) My goodness! How could I forget Mussles and Burger Bar!? By all means please please please try this place if you only go to experience their short rib nachos. Awesome stuff that.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
Next