Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Frustration with local food truck scene

by Mark R. » Fri May 29, 2015 10:26 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Charles W. wrote: I just go see what's out there and I am not disappointed

Yeah, that's really how the food truck scene is supposed to work. A lot of folks want to force it into a more familiar box, but I think most food-truck operators instinctively understand that all those schemes represent poor ROI from their standpoint. Just take potluck and go!

Robin, I certainly agree that's the way it's supposed to work but for those of us who don't work and food trucks don't congregate near our homes we have to go look for them. Why like everyone else I certainly know where some of the places they congregate are none of those are very convenient for us. I'd like to have an idea when we go looking for them where to go and what we are going to find. I know that maybe we are in the minority here but I'm sure there quite a few other people that would like the same information. It has nothing to do with forcing it into a familiar box, it's just not wanting to waste time and gas looking.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 29, 2015 10:35 am

Mark R. wrote:Robin, I certainly agree that's the way it's supposed to work but for those of us who don't work and food trucks don't congregate near our homes we have to go look for them. Why like everyone else I certainly know where some of the places they congregate are none of those are very convenient for us. I'd like to have an idea when we go looking for them where to go and what we are going to find. I know that maybe we are in the minority here but I'm sure there quite a few other people that would like the same information. It has nothing to do with forcing it into a familiar box, it's just not wanting to waste time and gas looking.

Mark, I hear you, and I respect that, but I'm still stuck with the recognition that you are basically asking food-truck folks to accommodate you, even if they don't see the benefit in doing their business that way. It's a dilemma. :(

Yes, Louisville doesn't have food-truck "pods" (I didn't know there was actually a law making that impossible, as mentioned up-thread, but if there is, that's something that ought to be taken to Mayor Greg ASAP, pitchforks and torches optional). ;)

But still, plenty of food-truck gatherings seem to be standardized - the medical center, Main Street, etc.; and quite a few do make themselves easy to find. It seems to me that it wouldn't be that hard to find out where SOME food trucks are. I'm just doubtful that there's any incentive for them to work together - and take extra steps - to make it easy for us to find where ALL the food trucks are.
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Fri May 29, 2015 10:40 am

I just accept that I'm not in the target demographic for food trucks. I'm not a hunterer/gatherer. I will go to places where I know my food is waiting for me.
:lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 29, 2015 10:58 am

Steve H wrote:I just accept that I'm not in the target demographic for food trucks. I'm not a hunterer/gatherer. I will go to places where I know my food is waiting for me.
:lol:

Yeah, I'll be honest, I don't go to food trucks much. In the early going when it was a new Thing, I followed some favorites ... Morels, Li'l Cheezers, a few more. But I'm really more in your camp, Steve. I'm also just as happy to sit down at a nice comfy table with air conditioning. ;)

On the other hand, if I worked downtown, or even in a suburban office park (although I really can't imagine that), in a section where there were few interesting lunch options around, I would be beyond delighted if a couple of good food trucks rolled up at noon.

So again, I think there has to be a recognition that food trucks exist to serve a particular market, and they do it well. But when we want them to change a working model because it doesn't suit us, we have to show them what's in it for them.
Previous