Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

We lock eyes with the bison and the bison wins at Feast BBQ

by Robin Garr » Wed May 20, 2015 2:10 pm

We lock eyes with the bison and the bison wins at Feast BBQ NuLu

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Feast BBQ's Pulled Pork with Mac and Cheese and Collard Greens

"Hey, let's go over to the new Feast BBQ in NuLu and get some delicious brisket!"

A slice of gently smoked, tender brisket sounded good, or at least it did until I settled down at a long table in the back of the room and glanced up. There on the wall was a buffalo head, mounted like a game trophy. Was he real or fake? I'm not sure, but he looked pretty real to me. His fur was kind of scruffy, but his black glass eyes were soulful. They seemed to look right into my heart.

"Um, maybe not the brisket."

I looked up and made bison eye contact again. His soft, gentle smile spoke of death and ashes.

I averted my eyes.

"In fact, now that I think about it, maybe I'll have the crispy tofu."

And so we did, and some pulled pork too, and lots of sides, and it was all good. What is barbecue anyway but protein gently bathed in cool smoke in the manner of the ancient Arawak Indians until it is cooked full of subtle, complex flavor, then served with spicy sauce to your liking? Does it matter whether your protein originated from a bison, a cow, a pig, a chicken or even organic GMO-free soybeans?

Well, maybe, but it's all good at Feast, an outpost of Chef Ryan Rogers' popular, three-year-old eatery of the same name over in New Albany (116 W. Main St., New Albany, 812-920-0454). The Louisville branch opened last winter, just before Christmas, in the quarters that had housed Cake Flour, which in its turn moved out to the East End on Lime Kiln Lane.

The building got a major renovation and, I'd say, a more NuLu-ish look, which nicely fits with the original facility's old New Albany look. Multiple rooms show exposed-brick walls, and a serious full bar looks as if it had been there forever; you may take your pick of some 20 local craft beers on draft, creative cocktails or even a bourbon slushie, or a shot-and-a-beer for five bucks, if the spirit so moves you.

Heavy picnic-style tables are set with utilitarian buckets loaded with barbecue sauce in big squeeze bottles. The decor is quirky and fun, including old photos; a giant wall-mounted American flag, as big as Francis Scott Key's but without the bombs-bursting-in-air holes in it; and, of course, that gently accusing buffalo head. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/?p=5291

See this column also in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/05/we-loc ... -bbq-nulu/

Feast BBQ – NuLu
909 E. Market St., Suite 100
749-9900
http://feastbbq.com
https://facebook.com/FeastBBQ
Robin Garr's rating: 90 points
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: We lock eyes with the bison and the bison wins at Feast

by Andrew Mellman » Wed May 20, 2015 4:20 pm

" Does it matter whether your protein originated from a bison, a cow, a pig, a chicken or even organic GMO-free soybeans? "

How do you know that? I couldn't find it on the web page, or on the menu.

I do know that way back in 2007 over 91% of the US soybean crop was genetically modified, mainly to be "Round-up Ready" (or resistent to the herbicide Round-up). While current percentages aren't available, the estimates I've seen go up to 100%!

Of course, soybeans are also the most studied GMO, since as far back as thirty years ago 50% of the crop was modified, and it's been extensively studied for way longer than that.

Personally, I have few if any problems with GMO's, but I know you are hyper on the subject, and I wonder where the info for Feast comes from.
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed May 20, 2015 4:51 pm

At least now we have the option of trying Feast barbecue since there New Albany location isn't handicapped accessible! After the way we were treated when we visited there I'm not sure if I'll even bother trying this one but.... I am glad to hear that there is another good restaurant in Louisville.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 20, 2015 4:52 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:" Does it matter whether your protein originated from a bison, a cow, a pig, a chicken or even organic GMO-free soybeans? "

How do you know that? I couldn't find it on the web page, or on the menu.

Sorry, Andrew. It was just a throwaway line, meant to refer to barbecueing proteins in general, not to Feast's pantry in particular.

I don't think I'm exactly "hyper" on the issue, either, although I am certainly interested in it. I am less afraid of GMOs per se than I am dubious of Monsanto's corporate intentionality about keeping the public health and interest at heart when there is sweet, sweet profit to be ladled into the shareholders' trough. It really is more of a Monsanto thing than a GMO thing, though.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 20, 2015 4:58 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:How do you know that? I couldn't find it on the web page, or on the menu.

Feast management has just informed me, "... we do use a non-gmo verified tofu."
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Wed May 20, 2015 10:40 pm

I'm sure it's just a typo, but that 20% tip should have been $6.49.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu May 21, 2015 9:33 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:How do you know that? I couldn't find it on the web page, or on the menu.

Feast management has just informed me, "... we do use a non-gmo verified tofu."

Just curious, but does anyone know where Coco Tran gets her soybeans and if they are non-gmo?
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 21, 2015 1:21 pm

Heather L wrote:Just curious, but does anyone know where Coco Tran gets her soybeans and if they are non-gmo?

She told me once that they are local and organic. Given her ethic, I'm pretty certain she wasn't just making that up. I don't know the exact source, though.
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

by Heather L » Thu May 21, 2015 2:18 pm

Robin Garr wrote:She told me once that they are local and organic. Given her ethic, I'm pretty certain she wasn't just making that up. I don't know the exact source, though.

Yeah I assumed the same thing. Feast should get their tofu from her. Heck - everyone should get her tofu from her in that case! :D
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri May 22, 2015 9:41 pm

It would have been helpful to note that you have to stand on the sidewalk in a line, to try and order, and then if there arent any seats to sit down at you are kinda SOL.
Im curious as to how they will handle crowds waiting to order in rain or the winter.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

by Stephen D » Sat May 23, 2015 2:57 am

Doug Davis wrote:It would have been helpful to note that you have to stand on the sidewalk in a line, to try and order, and then if there arent any seats to sit down at you are kinda SOL.
Im curious as to how they will handle crowds waiting to order in rain or the winter.

That's a good problem to have.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 23, 2015 7:06 am

Doug Davis wrote:It would have been helpful to note that you have to stand on the sidewalk in a line, to try and order, and then if there arent any seats to sit down at you are kinda SOL.

Doug, I thought I covered that:

Service is straightforward: Line up at the entrance and place your order for food and drink (including bar orders), then take a number and a seat, vend your own fountain drink, and wait for your meal to be delivered on utilitarian metal cookware.

When the line gets long, it extends out onto the sidewalk. During this season, that doesn't seem to be much of a problem. I expect in the winter they'll cram inside, but what do I know?