Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Kum's Cafe and Arirang

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

Kum's Cafe and Arirang

by James Natsis » Mon May 18, 2015 8:59 pm

I happened to stumble upon this place and decided to stop in for lunch today. It is located at the corner of Poplar Level and The Factory Lane about a mile or rwo south of the Watterson.

Rather interesting story. The people who ran Arirang opened a chicken place there about 3 years ago and added the Korean menu about 6 months later. Needless to say, its a strange, but obviously viable combination--fried chicken and cajun style, along with some standard Chinese stir-fry sélections on one side, and typical Korean on the other side of the combined dining area.

I had a boricha (Korean barley tea) and a bi bim bop with four sides. It was all good.

The place is of simple decor and construction, but I found it comfortable and the service friendly once we got over the confusion of me wanting to order Korean sit down, rather than fried chicken take out. I guess this is usually the case where non Asians order fried chicken given the reaction of several Korean ladies dining across from me who expressed their surprise and pleasure in my choice of food. I dazzled them further by thanking them in Korean!
James J. Natsis
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Kum's Cafe and Arirang

by RonnieD » Mon May 18, 2015 9:39 pm

that whole Cajun/Asian fusion thing is bizarre. We discovered a lot of that when shopping out J. Gumbo's for mall food courts. There were a ton of Cajun/Asia concepts in food courts.

Who knew?

Any standouts on the Korean side of the menu?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

looi

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:23 pm

Re: Kum's Cafe and Arirang

by looi » Mon May 18, 2015 10:56 pm

Asian/Cajun fusion is nothing new at all. When the first waves of Vietnamese refugees arrived, they were settled in the Gulf/ Louisiana area for they were fishermen in their homeland and the US government need not retrain them with a new skill. The next generation grew up with real cajun cuisine from growing up in smaller fishing towns.
As the newer generations migrate to Texas for high tech and oil/gas related jobs, they brought with them the cajun palate. There are many great cajun places run by second and third generation Vietnamese in the Houston area.