Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

20752

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by Robin Garr » Sat May 16, 2015 4:50 pm

Marios-pizza.jpg
Mario's Pizza
Marios-pizza.jpg (75.68 KiB) Viewed 2577 times

I just saw this on a Louisville History group on Facebook, and it brought back the old days. Well, 1977.

So, who remembers Mario's? As a Highlands kid, I was loyal to Calandrino's and Lentini's (or its predecessor, Highland Italian). I knew there was a Mario's in St. Matthews, but had no idea that there were 20 branches. According to this there were a couple in the Highlands, even, but I sure don't remember them. :shock:
User avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

710

Joined

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Location

Deer Park

Re: Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by Jay M. » Sat May 16, 2015 10:07 pm

Candlelight AND Music, no less! I remember Mario's but not so many locations. I thought there was one on Klondike Lane at some point. Google Maps tells me the addresses of the Highlands locations you mention were at the current locations of Wild Ginger across Duker from The Uptown Cafe and on Bardstown Rd in the space between Jack Fry's and the Falafel House (isn't that Jack Fry's kitchen now?). A blast from the past - thanks!
User avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1318

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by Steve Shade » Sun May 17, 2015 12:27 am

Jay M. wrote: Bardstown Rd in the space between Jack Fry's and the Falafel House (isn't that Jack Fry's kitchen now?). A blast from the past - thanks!


That space is Jack Fry's kitchen now. I remember it as a pizza place.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1318

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by Steve Shade » Sun May 17, 2015 12:28 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Marios-pizza.jpg

I just saw this on a Louisville History group on Facebook, and it brought back the old days. Well, 1977.

So, who remembers Mario's? As a Highlands kid, I was loyal to Calandrino's and Lentini's (or its predecessor, Highland Italian). I knew there was a Mario's in St. Matthews, but had no idea that there were 20 branches. According to this there were a couple in the Highlands, even, but I sure don't remember them. :shock:


Sonny Lentini was a manager at the Marios in St Matthews.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1944

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Location

Shelby County

Re: Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by TP Lowe » Sun May 17, 2015 7:52 am

I was a "cook" when I was 15 at a Mario's in Bowling Green. Assume the name is pretty typical for every city...
User avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

2689

Joined

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by Carla G » Sun May 17, 2015 7:17 pm

I remember the one in Buchel near the railroad tracks. We were there at least two or three times a month as teens.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User avatar
User

Jeffrey D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

371

Joined

Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:49 am

Location

Prospect

Re: Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by Jeffrey D. » Sun May 17, 2015 8:56 pm

My very first car date the day after I got my driver's license in 1966 was to Mario's in St. Mathews. Ordered an anchovy pizza to share because, well, I'd heard about anchovy pizzas on TV. But had no idea what an anchovy was. Or what one tasted like. WHOA . . what an eye opener!. Went there for second date, too. And got anchovy pizza again, just to show to show it wasn't a mistake the first time.
My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

302

Joined

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

Re: Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by Margie L » Mon May 18, 2015 7:38 pm

My local "go to" was Marios at Hikes Point.

And I must be older than you, Robin, because I was going in the late 60's.
User avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1671

Joined

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

Re: Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by Ron Johnson » Wed May 20, 2015 1:06 pm

The space next door to Jack Fry's was Charlie's Pizzeria, home of the peanut butter pizza and some great local punk shows in the early 80's. Was it a Mario's before it was Charlie's?
no avatar
User

river.song

{ RANK }

Just got here

Posts

1

Joined

Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:58 am

Re: Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by river.song » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:56 pm

The Marios in the highlands where it currently is Jack Fry's kitchen, was originally owned by Steve and Linda, and was there before 1965, it went out of business in early 1980s and was sold to an elderly man named Charlie. Charlie's was the home of the peanut butter pizza, but trust me, it wasn't that good. In hopes of increasing business, Charlie allowed punk rock bands to perform and many savory characters came. This upset Jack Fry's business clientele, which were upper class. So they did what any rich people do to solve their problem..They bought out Charlie and expanded their kitchen. If I ever win the lottery, I'm fully taking it back and making it Marios again.
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

20752

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:47 am

river.song wrote:If I ever win the lottery, I'm fully taking it back and making it Marios again.

I'll definitely buy a pizza if you do! :lol:
no avatar
User

Mark A.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

89

Joined

Thu May 24, 2007 10:30 pm

Re: Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by Mark A. » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:50 pm

After the Highland store closed and before Jack Fry's wasn't that the same space as Por Que No?
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

20752

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by Robin Garr » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:54 pm

Mark A. wrote:After the Highland store closed and before Jack Fry's wasn't that the same space as Por Que No?

I'm going to guess not, because the original Jack Fry's - a neighborhood bar where kids could buy beer out the back door and where one could easily put down a bet - was around in that location for decades before closing briefly, giving way to Por Que No and then the fancier restaurant that carried on the old name. (No, I'm not - quite - old enough to remember all this.)
User avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Posts

1318

Joined

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by Steve Shade » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mark A. wrote:After the Highland store closed and before Jack Fry's wasn't that the same space as Por Que No?

I'm going to guess not, because the original Jack Fry's - a neighborhood bar where kids could buy beer out the back door and where one could easily put down a bet - was around in that location for decades before closing briefly, giving way to Por Que No and then the fancier restaurant that carried on the old name. (No, I'm not - quite - old enough to remember all this.)


I am...... :
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Posts

20752

Joined

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Location

Crescent Hill

Re: Who remembers Mario's Pizza?

by Robin Garr » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:49 am

Steve Shade wrote:I am...... :

Hey! I am almost as aged as you are ... but I thought the original Jack Fry's bar closed in the '50s?
Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign
cron