Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Doc Crow's makes it right

no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

Doc Crow's makes it right

by Tony G » Fri May 15, 2015 6:38 pm

My wife works for a fairly large medical insurance company downtown, and is in charge of arranging corporate "entertainment". She deals with Doc Crowes frequently. She told me today she was going to Fire Fresh downtown and picking up some BBQ for all of us for dinner. Well Fire Fresh closes at 2 after the lunch crowd. So she called DC's and places BBQ dinners to go for all of us. She gets home and hands out the boxes for us.........uh........only 1 box had the dinner, all the others had a sandwich only. Oh Boy was she PO'd!! I told her you gotta check all to go orders! I asked her to call DC but she said forget them, they are never getting our business again (meaning the medical insurance co business). I realize they probably have a 18-20 yr old filling the to go orders, but really? The receipt showed her being charged for all the dinners. I know that we as a family won't go there again and I know she won't arrange for any corporate business there again either. As I sit here typing this she is still HOT over this. We just ate what we got and learned a lesson. Make sure the dang take out orders are correct!! Especially on a Friday when people are exhausted from the work week!! (This is the first negative thing I have posted and it's against my better judgement but here it is).
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Doc Crowes.......fail

by RonnieD » Fri May 15, 2015 7:24 pm

How many individual meals did they botch?
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat May 16, 2015 2:06 pm

You have to call them!

From my time in the business, mistakes happen. If the place finds out about it, they can change their operations, appropriately apologize to the customers, whatever. If you don't tell them, you are rewarding a mistake and hurting them in the longer run; if you do tell them - and aren't happy with the results - then they deserve your boycott. If you never tell them, I feel the boycott is undeserved, especially because your wife has dealt with them frequently in the past and never had a problem previously.

Just IMHO.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Sat May 16, 2015 3:10 pm

The GM has reached out to me with a very nice message. I am asking Robin to delete this. I regret posting something negative about a local place. All is good.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat May 16, 2015 4:30 pm

Tony G wrote:The GM has reached out to me with a very nice message. I am asking Robin to delete this. I regret posting something negative about a local place. All is good.

Tony, I'm glad that the GM reached out to you and made you happy. However there is no need to delete this thread because it shows that they do follow up when a customer is dissatisfied and resolve the problem.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 16, 2015 4:44 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Tony G wrote:The GM has reached out to me with a very nice message. I am asking Robin to delete this. I regret posting something negative about a local place. All is good.

Tony, I'm glad that the GM reached out to you and made you happy. However there is no need to delete this thread because it shows that they do follow up when a customer is dissatisfied and resolve the problem.

I've asked Tony privately if he'd consider leaving the thread up (or even editing the OP, if that's really important to him), as I think the response speaks well of Doc Crow's, and letting folks know how it came out seems to me to be better than just making it disappear ... if only because folks will remember the post but not know that it ended well.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun May 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Tony G wrote: I regret posting something negative about a local place.

This part of Tony's comment really bothers me. Is it verboten to post something negative about a local place? From this comment I feel like Tony was somehow harangued about his post or somehow otherwise made to feel badly about doing so.

Personally, I agree with Robin, this was the best possible outcome for this kind of situation. Customer had a legitimate issue, restaurant responded, amends were made (I assume), and we all see that the restaurant cares about customer experience and works to make it right.

I see no call for regret.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sun May 17, 2015 4:26 pm

RonnieD wrote:
Tony G wrote: I regret posting something negative about a local place.

This part of Tony's comment really bothers me. Is it verboten to post something negative about a local place?

It bothers me too. I always push eating at local establishments over chains, but that doesnt mean Im not going to criticize them when its deserved.

Frankly, I have eaten at Doc Crows twice and wont ever do so again. They are a tourist trap, and a very successful one, for the downtown crowd. But an oyster bar they are not. Last time I was there (3-4 months ago), I was going as an office party for a non-profit Im involved with, and actually begged the office staff not to hold the party there. But this is where they wanted to do it.

I went in and saw their typical oysters on the half shell, which if memory serves me were around $3 each. I told the waiter the last time I was there, they had been miserably small and I felt ripped off. I asked if they were any better now, he assured me they were. So I proceed to order a dozen of what I was assured were going to be plump oysters. Firstly, not a single one was larger than a quarter coin in size, again ridiculously small. Secondly, who ever they had shucking didnt bother to cut under the oyster to actually release it from the shell. So I ended up doing half of the shuck job myself.

Quite frankly if someone in this town would open a REAL oyster bar, with good beer and big screen TVs for sports, selling the oysters raw on the half shell at $1 a pop (oysters are typically 35-55 cents per oysters wholesale from the local distributor, last time I checked)....they would make a killing. I was going to do it. But Im moving back to Florida within the next couple of weeks.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Doc Crow's makes it right

by Carla G » Sun May 17, 2015 7:14 pm

Just FYI, Rumors restaurant in Middletown just past Evergreen Road has raw oysters on the half shell and I think (think) they were around $1.50 each. The ones I had were fat and great. There's a couple of TVs in there usually with a game on.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sun May 17, 2015 8:34 pm

Carla G wrote:Just FYI, Rumors restaurant in Middletown just past Evergreen Road has raw oysters on the half shell and I think (think) they were around $1.50 each. The ones I had were fat and great. There's a couple of TVs in there usually with a game on.

A dozen oysters are $15.99 . . . a few times I've been, and when served the waitress said, "these are smaller than normal, so we gave you 15 instead of a dozen" . . . they also have steamed pails, a great deal!

They don't have "big screen" tv's, but do have around two dozen 40" tv's around.

They've been around for close to 30 years now? Very nice people - the owner makes the rounds regularly, and they're always customer focused. They also have good wings (not too meaty, but inexpensive, fried right, and very tasty).
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun May 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote: They don't have "big screen" tv's, but do have around two dozen 40" tv's around.

That comment gave me a big laugh when I read it! 40" used to be huge for televisions and now we don't even consider them big screens! :shock:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"