Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Hillbilly Tea Closed

no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Hillbilly Tea Closed

by TP Lowe » Mon May 11, 2015 11:15 am

Per Business First, closed as of today.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Hillbilly Tea Closed

by Robin Garr » Mon May 11, 2015 11:17 am

TP Lowe wrote:Per Business First, closed as of today.

The original downtown spot, though. The newer place on Baxter will stay open and expand, I think. The argument that it wasn't an ideal location, isolated from other downtown spots, made some sense to me.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon May 11, 2015 11:21 am

Robin Garr wrote:The original downtown spot, though. The newer place on Baxter will stay open and expand, I think. The argument that it wasn't an ideal location, isolated from other downtown spots, made some sense to me.

Good clarification, Robin. Thanks.
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon May 11, 2015 11:24 am

Karter is going to expand the hours at the Tea Shack, open the new place in Portland (in the old firehouse), going to put a place in Funtown Mountain and is doing a new concept. Plus he is getting back into acting some. Pretty busy guy. Don't count him out by any means. :D
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon May 11, 2015 11:37 am

The story talked about their new concept and its "Appalachian Sushi"? That's certainly a food description I've never heard of before, maybe they use Possum and Squirrel with Ramp Sauce to Make It? :mrgreen:

Here's the full story from insider Louisville: Downtown Hillbilly Tea Closing
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 11, 2015 12:17 pm

Mark R. wrote:... "Appalachian Sushi"? That's certainly a food description I've never heard of before, maybe they use Possum and Squirrel with Ramp Sauce to Make It? :mrgreen:

I think that description is just about as tongue-in-cheek as was the original name "Hillbilly" to describe a downtown eatery in a non-Appalachian city run by an African-American guy and a Hungarian chef. :lol:
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Mon May 11, 2015 6:07 pm

I know it received favorable reviews here but our experiences with the first street location were awful.

Both visits were for Sunday brunch. The service was subpar and the food was below average and served with meager proportions. Location didn't help but it's ultimately about the food and customer service.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon May 11, 2015 8:51 pm

That was a tough downtown spot and I am surprised the kept it going as long as they did.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon May 11, 2015 10:13 pm

RonnieD wrote:That was a tough downtown spot and I am surprised the kept it going as long as they did.

My thoughts, as well. On the other hand, if they could have held on, the Aloft Hotel would have generated traffic once completed.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Tue May 12, 2015 7:53 am

We went several times for dinner and for drinks, and never had a bad experience. They'll be missed.
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Tue May 12, 2015 11:53 am

Eric Hall wrote:I know it received favorable reviews here but our experiences with the first street location were awful.

Both visits were for Sunday brunch. The service was subpar and the food was below average and served with meager proportions. Location didn't help but it's ultimately about the food and customer service.

We did not go to Sunday brunch, but had the same experience was similar Food, service, small portions all poor..
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Tue May 12, 2015 12:13 pm

I'm surprised by all the negative experiences. I ate dinner there probably 5 times and thought it was great each time. I guess portions could've been bigger, but I always left happy. Huh.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 12, 2015 1:31 pm

Iggy C wrote:I'm surprised by all the negative experiences. I ate dinner there probably 5 times and thought it was great each time. I guess portions could've been bigger, but I always left happy. Huh.

I looked back over my last brunch review there (May 2013) realized that it hadn't stuck in my memory because, perhaps, we found it good but not great. I was kind overall, picked a few nits, and rated it 80 points: Decent, but no knockout.

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/we-br ... lbilly-tea
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue May 12, 2015 10:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Iggy C wrote:Decent, but no knockout.

That's exactly how we have felt about the place. I put it in the category that we would go there is somebody we were going out with wanted to go there but it wasn't the place we would recommend to go to with somebody else.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Tue May 12, 2015 10:54 pm

My wife put it this way. They are (were) trying to hard.

Rough cut wood serving "plates". Creeky steps, tables and chairs. Fake patina on the silverware. The obnoxious use of mason jars.

If you go to that extreme with the small details, the food and drink need to be home runs given the asking price.
Next