Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Hillbilly Tea Closed

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed May 13, 2015 9:50 am

I'm surprised to hear this many negative or indifferent comments. I had the best pork chop of my life at HT, and a few other memorable meals besides. Never a disappointing experience. Well, there was the "green tea" cocktail that tasted like pond scum dredgings, but other than that, no problems!
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Wed May 13, 2015 10:35 am

I'm not super surprised, but only because Hillbilly Tea was always hit or miss. I had a different experience than some who viewed it as "Good but not great" -- in my visits, it tended to be either really good or really bad, nothing in between. I had a hard time recommending it to people because of that. I have a lot of friends whose taste I trust, though, who raved about it that I think the "really good" must have outnumbered the really bad 20 to 1, and I just got unlucky having two of my four visits be bad.
no avatar
User

Jonathan Exum

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:29 pm

Louisville KY

by Jonathan Exum » Wed May 13, 2015 9:59 pm

Are they selling that window bar?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 14, 2015 7:33 am

Jonathan Exum wrote:Are they selling that window bar?

Are you talking about the newer Hillbilly Tea Shack on Baxter?
http://www.hillbillyteashack.com/home.html

It stays, and reportedly will expand.
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Thu May 14, 2015 9:45 am

My brunch experience was quite the opposite of this. Both food and service seemed fine to me. I will say that I didn't particularly care for their dinner menu. After going there twice for dinner, I had vowed to only return for brunch.

Eric Hall wrote:Both visits were for Sunday brunch. The service was subpar and the food was below average and served with meager proportions. Location didn't help but it's ultimately about the food and customer service.
no avatar
User

Jonathan Exum

{ RANK }

Just got here

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:29 pm

Louisville KY

by Jonathan Exum » Thu May 14, 2015 10:40 am

No. The gorgeous piece of wood that I have seen in pictures in the window of hillbilly tea!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu May 14, 2015 10:47 am

Jonathan Exum wrote:No. The gorgeous piece of wood that I have seen in pictures in the window of hillbilly tea!

Ah, got it, sorry about the misunderstanding. I agree that there's some cool stuff in there. I hope they can find a way to preserve it. I imagine a lot of good stuff can be shipped over to Baxter.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Thu May 14, 2015 2:24 pm

Karter may be using the 1st St. Location as a commissary for the other places. In one of the articles about the closing, he indicated he might reopen on 1st St. after all the construction for the bridges and the Convention Center are over. I know he told us that he intended to use 1st St. for tea packaging, prep and baking when he opened in Portland. Now he may be moving the decor to Portland and the Appalachian Sushi locations.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sat May 21, 2016 2:45 pm

Hillbilly Tea has listed a "revival" event next Friday at 2:30 at their 1st and main location. I liked that place, so this is good news, whatever it means.
Previous