Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Re: 90 year old chicken

by Carol C » Thu May 07, 2015 9:55 am

Jerry, we've had the chicken at Dasha Barbour's and it was excellent! Also, the sides, especially the greens, were very good. It has been some months ago (it's off our beaten path) but really enjoyed it. Not sure about reservations but it isn't a huge place. Will look forward to hearing if you go!
no avatar
User

Megan Watts

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:44 am

Louisville

by Megan Watts » Thu May 07, 2015 6:24 pm

Good call on cancelling at Claudia Sanders. I was dragged there by extended family about 6 years ago for mothers day. We had reservations and waited well over an hour past them before we were seated in a massive dining room. All the food was buffet that day. None of it was great. I could never get a refill of my drink and we were essentially sitting at a fold out table and chairs. I said I'd never go there again, and never have eventhough I live in Shelby Co.

However, I was at a Mom's retreat recently and we got their food to-go. I was pleasantly surprised at how good the chicken was. Maybe when they're not feeding 1000's of people in one day, they really can do it right.

If you're willing to go out to Shelby Co. though, The Inn at Science Hill has some of the best fried chicken I've ever had. It's a bit pricey, but the food was worth it.

And as far as fast food, I'd opt for Popeye's any day over KFC.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu May 07, 2015 10:38 pm

]Megan Watts wrote:Good call on cancelling at Claudia Sanders. I was dragged there by extended family about 6 years ago...

Yikes, lots of hatin' on Claudia Sanders here; almost sorry I brought it up! I will say my wife was there on Oaks Day (6 days ago) and thought the chicken was very good. It IS the KFC recipe, which IS what the OP says his 90-year old mom likes.

My wife said her dining partner sister thought the chicken and dumplings were as good as her mom's (my late MIL) - trust me, that is high praise.

That said, I would not go to any restaurant on Mothers Day - you can expect they will not be showing their best. Ditto for why I steer away from local restaurants on Valentines Day, Derby weekend, Easter, etc. YMMV.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri May 08, 2015 6:03 pm

Oh my god, this. Take your mom out on Saturday or Monday or Tuesday. Or make her brunch at home and bring her a dozen roses. If you need help with easy recipes, ask me or dozens of other chefs on this website or Facebook or a thousand others for advice, or visit the HotBytes cooking forum.

Nobody's sainted mother should be subjected to Mother's Day madness, especially one so successful at surviving so long. I know your heart is in the right place, but we in the restaurant business call these days "amateur night" for a reason. Stay home! (my boss will probably kill me for this post).

I vote for you to make her a meal on Sunday and then take her to the Cottage Inn on Tuesday for fried chicken. Double Whammy!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri May 08, 2015 6:42 pm

Unfortunately Marsha, it isn't just me and mom. My brother and wife; 3 grand kids; and 3 great grand kids, makes 10 total. I am okay in the kitchen when it's just the two of us, but not 10...we are going out. :lol:
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri May 08, 2015 6:51 pm

*Sigh* poor Jerry. Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Maybe a personal chef next year? That's a thing, you know... or ordering catering take-out from Wiltshire Pantry or lots of other restaurants. I just don't want you to suffer. Thank goodness you canceled the Claudia Sanders res. Please report back and let us know how it goes.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Fri May 08, 2015 10:17 pm

The best fried chicken that I have had recently was at Old Stone Inn.

Claudia's can be pretty darn good, or, if you are unlucky enough to get the buffet when the chicken has been steaming, pretty bad. Usually, as long as Claudia's keeps giving me homemade clover rolls and milk gravy, I'm OK.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sat May 09, 2015 7:33 am

Little late to this discussion, never the less...
First, Marsha's idea about dining out on Monday or Tuesday instead is a great idea. I have found that even the most trumpeted restaurant can do a "slip and fall" on holidays. That being said have you thought about Mike Linnings? I haven't been there for a year or so but the last time we were there someone got the fried chicken and it was simply the best ever.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Sun May 10, 2015 4:24 pm

Here's what happened...

- First try at reservations (Tuesday the 5th) was Goose Creek Diner...only time they could get us in was 9 a.m., too early for lunch, so no go;

- Next was Claudia Sanders - read reviews afterwards and cancelled;

- Next was Dasha Barbours Southern Bistro - my brother went by and indicated it might be too small to handle what turned into a party of 12 - called and cancelled;

- Tried to get one of the other family members to come up with an appropriate place - and you know how that went - nobody wanted to pick - "we'll go where ever you want to", but someone did mentioned bar-b-que!

I thought that might work, not for fried chicken, but usually bar-b-que joints have decent chicken...

Problem was none that I called took reservations, just first come first served. I swallowed hard and accepted the fact that we would just have to roll the dice and hope that an earlier start time than our original 1 p.m. might work. One of my sons got to Momma's Mustard, Pickles, and Bar-b-Que (St. Matthews) at 11:45 a.m.

Everyone was very pleased with the results...food was excellent; service was excellent; and the family had a good time. Also it was 100% that the smoked wings were the best anyone ever tasted, and those pickles are something else!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions, will probably visit the Cottage Inn, and Dasha Barbours in the next two weeks for some fried chicken.
Last edited by Jerry C on Sun May 10, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun May 10, 2015 5:10 pm

Glad it worked out for you, your Mom, and family, Jerry.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun May 10, 2015 5:35 pm

Jay M. wrote:Glad it worked out for you, your Mom, and family, Jerry.

Second the emotion! Also, Jerry, thanks for letting us know how you worked it out!
Previous