Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

KFC Eleven no longer frying?

User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

KFC Eleven no longer frying?

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:35 am

When I drove by KFC Eleven at the confluence of Bardstown and Baxter yesterday afternoon, there was brown paper covering the windows. Not too surprising, after lackluster reviews here and the fact it never seemed busy; I guess YUM finally pulled the plug on the concept.

What's next for that space? Just another regular KFC? Or maybe one of the other YUM test-beds like Super Chix, their wannabe Chick-Fil-A killer? The initial test locations in Dallas have apparently been very successful.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: KFC Eleven no longer frying?

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:03 am

Yeah, I saw that on Facebook ... probably should have posted, but KFC. :mrgreen:

I'm not sure whether to mark it as failure, though. It was billed as a test concept from the beginning, an experiment with a finite life that might be put into production if it worked out.

The more surprising news to me was that they're apparently going to sell the property rather than use it for other KFC purposes. Given the nature of the neighborhood, that opens up the possibility for something more interesting ... if the price is right!
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:10 pm

That property has not been overly successful for Yum! Even back when it was just a KFC the place was routinely empty, despite lush parking. Would be nice to have something unique in that wedge.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:17 pm

Maybe someone will put a pizza place in there.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:22 pm

I heard that it was going to be a parking lot for the Holy Grale.

Of wait...... :wink:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:07 pm

Clay Cundiff wrote:Maybe someone will put a pizza place in there.

What could possibly go wrong? :roll:
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:19 pm

I am surprised with how generous they are with allowing non customer parking. I would imagine that will change with new ownership and concept.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:04 pm

Clay Cundiff wrote:Maybe someone will put a pizza place in there.

Say what you will about too much pizza, but we are on the cusp of creating a new sobriquet for the area if we can get another pizza joint--Piccola Italia, or "Pic It" This could be bigger than So Fo (south fourth st).
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:33 am

Just as long as it doesn't get named "PieLu" or "PuLu"
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:28 pm

Insider Louisville has a poll with five options asking what folks would like to see there. So far 53% are voting for an outdoor biergarten. Interesting as either that spot or the one where Walgreens is (not sure the geography & changes over a long time) was a beer garden at one time.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:13 am

Lonnie Turner wrote:Insider Louisville has a poll with five options asking what folks would like to see there. So far 53% are voting for an outdoor biergarten. Interesting as either that spot or the one where Walgreens is (not sure the geography & changes over a long time) was a beer garden at one time.

For a biergarten, I like this Tyler Park proposal better: http://brokensidewalk.com/2014/tyler-park-beer-garden/
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:15 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
Lonnie Turner wrote:Insider Louisville has a poll with five options asking what folks would like to see there. So far 53% are voting for an outdoor biergarten. Interesting as either that spot or the one where Walgreens is (not sure the geography & changes over a long time) was a beer garden at one time.

For a biergarten, I like this Tyler Park proposal better: http://brokensidewalk.com/2014/tyler-park-beer-garden/

I saw that proposal and it really looks interesting, definitely something that Louisville would welcome with open arms. However, I really don't think the appropriate place for it is in the middle of a neighborhood setting like this! At the present time this is a very quiet, neighborhood friendly park. Putting the biergarten would certainly change this considerably and affect the neighborhood. It would bring a lot of traffic and noise to the neighborhood and probably create a huge parking mess for area residents.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:01 am

There is already an outdoor biergarten bordering that space. Not that you can have too many, but that seems unnecessary.

On the other hand, If Grale wanted to expand and take over the whole space, that would be fine by me!
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:31 pm

Mark R. wrote:I saw that proposal and it really looks interesting, definitely something that Louisville would welcome with open arms. However, I really don't think the appropriate place for it is in the middle of a neighborhood setting like this! At the present time this is a very quiet, neighborhood friendly park. Putting the biergarten would certainly change this considerably and affect the neighborhood. It would bring a lot of traffic and noise to the neighborhood and probably create a huge parking mess for area residents.

I understand the concerns, and they have merit. But the fact we don't have many of these sort of biergartens in the US is this weird post-Prohibition bifurcation we have between places where people live and places where people drink. Drinking is so associated with inebriation, partying, and hullabaloo here that nobody wants a place serving alcohol in their backyard. Understandable, again, but maybe a place like this in a neighborhood setting, with strict enforcement against noise and disruption problems, would help shift things in a healthier direction.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:57 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:I understand the concerns, and they have merit. But the fact we don't have many of these sort of biergartens in the US is this weird post-Prohibition bifurcation we have between places where people live and places where people drink. Drinking is so associated with inebriation, partying, and hullabaloo here that nobody wants a place serving alcohol in their backyard. Understandable, again, but maybe a place like this in a neighborhood setting, with strict enforcement against noise and disruption problems, would help shift things in a healthier direction.

Yeah, and as a resident of Crescent Hill living within hearing distance of the Porcini-to-Craft-House row, I'd suggest that people who choose urban living may be a little more tolerant of reasonably well curated fun than outer suburbanites like Mark. Now, when people start urinating in your front yard, leaving trash down the side streets and screwing up parking, that all changes. :twisted: But a well-run beer garden down in Tyler Park that didn't encourage loud drunks and that closed at a reasonable hour? I'm not sure that folks along Tyler Parkway would get all bent out of shape about that.