Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Finally Made it to Proof

no avatar
User

Aaron M. Renn

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 12, 2007 7:10 pm

Finally Made it to Proof

by Aaron M. Renn » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:21 am

I don't live in Louisville anymore, so I've got to hit places as I'm in town. Events always conspired to keep me from Proof, but I was finally able to get there while in town for Christmas, even though I had to dragoon my sick dining companion into coming with me.

First off, the 21C Museum Hotel is a stunner. I was very impressed, and so were some of my relatives from Chicago who visited another night. I didn't see any of the rooms, but the design of the common areas and the restaurant is excellent. The bathrooms were particularly sweet. I'm not a huge contemporary art fan, but they had a bigger display than I envisioned. It had always thought the museum part was a sort of gimmick but they really seem to have something.

On to dinner. It was early - and Sunday night before Christmast to boot - so the restaurant wasn't that crowded, but there were a few tables occupied. The service was very good, but we had an excellent ratio of staff to patrons so it should have been.

Partially it must have been because my expectations were set pretty high, but I did not think the food measured up to the decor or the service. It was good, mind you, but only a couple of dishes were standouts. For appetizers we had that ricotta meatball in brodo thing and the chickpea and country ham fritters. The individual ingrediants in my soup were good, but the flavors didn't really harmonize and were pretty stuble to boot. Our speculation on the fritters was "Southern falafel", but it was more like polenta. Again, good, but nothing to write home about.

On to the entrees where I had the country ham wrapped pork chop. Pork chops are one of my benchmark dishes to compare restaurants and this one did not disappoint. It was thick and cut like a steak, very juicy, and bursting with flavor. I'll admit to being a sucker for more intense flavors. This is a dish I definitely will remember. Her oxtail risotto was a bit bland by comparison, though the texture was nice. The other highlight of the evening besides the pork chop was the Weisenberger grits. I'm a typical yankee when it comes to grits - lots of sugar on top - but this was so delicious I just ate it as it. I didn't even salt it, which for those who know me is saying a lot.

So a couple of standouts, and a few solid infill dishes.

One minor nitpick suggestion I would give them. Since they are going for uber-hip, they should consider replacing their rather standard-issue flatware and cutlery with trendier high design models. There's nothing wrong with what they have objectively, but if you want to go over the top, why not do it in everything? Of course, that might risk a bit of caricature.

I'd say Proof was solid, but not so special that I'll probably go back at the expense of trying new places on my trips in town.

The other observation I'd have is about downtown generally. It was good to see signs of life on Main Street at that time. Not too long ago, you could have shot a cannon down Main St. on a Sunday night and not hit anyone. I'm not going to suggest that this place was hopping by any means, but there were some people around, particularly near the restaurants. Also, I did not find an on-street parking spot but had to valet - only $4! - which I take as a good sign. I took a pretty extenisve downtown tour the last time I was in, and continue to be pleased with downtown development, though I will always believe Louisville's heart is in the neighborhoods.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

Proof

by Lonnie Turner » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:41 pm

We had a similar experience Christmas Eve. We had the fritters as well and a three-cheese appetizer. I had the pork chop and my wife had the scallops. They had three beers I'd not tried before which is doing pretty good. They're killer on service and the atmosphere had everything going for it but live music. I'm still partial to Seviche myself, but we wanted to try something new and thanks to the Forumites who posted a list of places open that day, this is what we selected and we were well pleased. I don't always pick up on everything but my wife made a remark about the 'homoerotic art' on the walls. "It is?" "Yes, it's obvious." My wife is into that (if its guys) and gives Proof kudos on the art.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Proof.

by Doogy R » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:40 pm

Just because I enjoy dining here, I am bumping this post.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Proof.

by Robin Garr » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:07 pm

Doogy R wrote:Just because I enjoy dining here, I am bumping this post.

Please don't do that again, Doogy. If a post gains a legitimate response, fine. But "bumping" just to put your post back on top of the forum defeats the system. I don't like it, and I don't want you (or anyone) doing it.
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Re: Proof.

by Doogy R » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:26 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Doogy R wrote:Just because I enjoy dining here, I am bumping this post.

Please don't do that again, Doogy. If a post gains a legitimate response, fine. But "bumping" just to put your post back on top of the forum defeats the system. I don't like it, and I don't want you (or anyone) doing it.

Other posts have been "bumped" and I can't. I knew I should have stayed away.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.