Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

candy teeth

by Sonja W » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:18 pm

I myself am partial to candy vampire fangs, red wax lips and zombie teeth.

Loved 'em when I was nine, love them even more at, uh, twenty-nine.
User

Jessica Devine

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:29 pm

Germantown

by Jessica Devine » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:51 pm

Thank you all for your great ideas. Keep them coming if you think of any. I will be sure to pass these on to me friend.
no avatar
User

Sonja W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:00 pm

more candy

by Sonja W » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:56 pm

And Pop-Rocks. Pop-Rocks ROCK.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:01 pm

We picked up the LE Chocolate Pop Rocks the other day. We still haven't been brave enough to try it! :lol:
User

elaine m

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:54 am

East End

Penny candy

by elaine m » Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:18 am

Wow! I suddenly feel very old. This brings back memories of spending our pennies at the local 'corner store'. When Mom needed a loaf of bread, my brother or I could be bribed to get it for the privilege of spending "the change" at the 'penny candy' counter. From my recollection, the glass enclosed counter was about four feet high and contained treasures such as root beer barrels, necco wafers, tootsie rolls and pops, licorice sticks (red or black), candy dots on paper, waxed lips, candy cigarettes, etc,. We'd make our thoughtful selections, and Al, the owner, would carefully place them in a small brown bag. It's a good memory ........... good luck with the store. :D
Of all the things that I've lost, I miss my mind the most!
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Sat Mar 24, 2007 1:57 pm

:lol: Dont forget BONOMOS Turkish Taffy....Mallo Cup...Zagnut...Mary Janes...Ice Cube...The little flying saucer wafer with the candy dots inside...Skybar...Chocolate Babies...Thats is my teeth are starting to hurt... :cry:
User

Joe C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:50 pm

Louisville, KY

Coal Candy

by Joe C » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:44 am

I love Coal Candy - it looks like real coal with a strong licorice taste.
I have learned that not a lot of people like good strong licorice flavoring - I Love it.
I have made this and it comes out great. Easy to find the ingredients here in Louisville.

Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon anise extract
1/2 teaspoon black paste food coloring

Preparation:
1. Line 8-inch square baking pan with foil, extending edges over sides of pan. Lightly grease foil with butter; set aside. Measure sugar, corn syrup and water into heavy 2-quart saucepan. Stir over medium-low heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil, being careful not to splash sugar mixture on side of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan (do not let bulb touch bottom of pan). Cook about 15 minutes until thermometer registers 290°F, without stirring. Immediately remove from heat. Stir in anise extract and food coloring. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Cool completely.

2. Lift candy out of pan using foil; remove foil. Place candy between 2 layers of heavy-duty foil. Pound with mallet to break candy into 1- to 2-inch pieces.
Live to Ride, Ride to Eat!
User

kathy m

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:54 pm

More old fashion candy links

by kathy m » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:03 am

Previous