Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Gustavo's Crestwood

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Gustavo's Crestwood

by Carla G » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:18 pm

This place is do close to my home I am surprised I haven't been there sooner. So, today I thought I'd drop in for a quick lunch.

The parking lot was packed so it would seem in the period of time they've been there (maybe a little over a year?) they've built up some sort of following. I was seated immediately my a most conjeanial young man.

I'll be brief -
#The salsa supplied with the usual free chips was excellent. Very flavorful.
#The guacamole was some of the best I've ever had in a restaurant. It was nice and chunky and not something that could be extruded out of a pastry bag.
#the green chilie relleno was extremely watery to the point of being soggy. How does that even happen? It was also covered in some sort of ground hamburger red sauce. The taste was very bland and visually it was very unappetizing. I seldom need to use this word when I've dined out but...YUCK.
# the tamale (which I was told were made fresh, in house, twice a week) was little more than steamed corn polenta with almost no pork interior. Seriously, in my one tamale there was barely a teaspoon of shredded pork. It too was covered in that same unappetizing ground burger red sauce. Why why why!!?
#nothing special about the taco, refriend beans or shredded lettuce.
#service was fine, restaurant was clean, plenty of staff on hand.

So yeah, pretty UN-noteworthy meal. But with more than 50 varieties of tequila and a decent happy hour, coupled with a so-so deck, it might be someplace to hit for a post work drink and an app. But if I am looking for a Mexican meal I will still be dining at El Mariachi.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Gustavo's Crestwood

by Carla G » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:58 am

I apologize for this omission -

Gustavo's
Off Highway 329 bypass on Westwind Way
Near the eye care facilities
Crestwood
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:36 am

Carla G wrote:I apologize for this omission -

Gustavo's
Off Highway 329 bypass on Westwind Way
Near the eye care facilities
Crestwood

That's nearly 18 kilogarrs from the old sears building. :mrgreen:
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:42 am

:lol:
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:15 pm

Gustavo was previously one of the owners of El Acapulco in La Grange...There are varying stories as to why he left (El Acapulco) but there is no doubt the place has gone -way- downhill since he left. In addition to Gustavo's Crestwood location, he also just opened a second Gustavo's in LaGrange (next to Beef O'Brady's). Having dined at both locations (and despite them both having the same menu), I've gotta say we prefer the LaGrange restaurant over the Crestwood location.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:06 pm

Steve P wrote:Gustavo was previously one of the owners of El Acapulco in La Grange...There are varying stories as to why he left (El Acapulco) but there is no doubt the place has gone -way- downhill since he left. In addition to Gustavo's Crestwood location, he also just opened a second Gustavo's in LaGrange (next to Beef O'Brady's). Having dined at both locations (and despite them both having the same menu), I've gotta say we prefer the LaGrange restaurant over the Crestwood location.

Good to know.
Thanks Steve!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:58 am

As an update to this previous post -

I have returned twice to the Crestwood Gustavo's, each time with similar results. The place seems to do a good business, it's usually packed. But honestly it's the most subpar Mexican I've ever had. It's not just tasteless, it always looks unappetizing. So when one of my mommies said she was having a birthday party catered by them I moaned "which one?" "LaGrange" she answered. I said nothing. I did attend the party although I got there late, maybe a hour or so after the food arrived. Everyone else had eaten. I plated up with samplings from the various aluminum pans. I got to say, THAT food was far superior to anything I've had out of their Crestwood kitchen and this was after it had been sitting around a bit. It was like two totally different restaurants. When you consider that catered dishes have been produced in large quantities, packed up, transported then sat on an open table, I don't think it would be fair to judge the over all quality of the food from the party. HOWEVER...Based on that catering job I wouldn't hesitate to visit the LaGrange Gustavo's if I find myself I the area.
I thought it was only fair to post this finding.