Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Zeggz, another breakfast/brunch restaurant opening Friday

by Mark R. » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:04 pm

Zeggz, a breakfast/brunch/lunch restaurant along the lines of Wild Eggs and First Watch will open this Friday at 6 AM. Here's a link to their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/zeggz/timeline they don't yet have a webpage. The address is a little confusing because they are actually located in the stripmall across US 22 from Cabela's. There's also a Moe's and some other places in that area.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Zeggz, another breakfast/brunch restaurant opening Frida

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:23 pm

What do you think are the chances that they are using natural/organic/pastured eggs? I figure about 0.0001%. :P
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:40 pm

Robin Garr wrote:What do you think are the chances that they are using natural/organic/pastured eggs? I figure about 0.0001%. :P

That sounds about right, I'll stick to the fresh out of the hen eggs we are getting from a friend. Not pasteurized but certainly delicious.

no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:53 am

Soon Louisville shall be forced to admit we have reached Peak Brunch.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:19 am

Adam Robinson wrote:Soon Louisville shall be forced to admit we have reached Peak Brunch.

Not until we define the outer limits with Peak Pizza. :mrgreen:
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:34 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Adam Robinson wrote:Soon Louisville shall be forced to admit we have reached Peak Brunch.

Not until we define the outer limits with Peak Pizza. :mrgreen:

Apparently there is no Peak Pizza limit...
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:48 am

Convergence!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:29 pm

I read today in Insider Louisville that they are postponing their opening because of the need for more staff training. At least he recognized it before opening and having a complete disaster. One of the good points of having a soft opening.

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:What do you think are the chances that they are using natural/organic/pastured eggs? I figure about 0.0001%. :P

Isn't this just a tad snarky???

I mean they haven't opened yet, Zeggz are a current trend (especially in Europe and aamong Paleo dieters) of eggs & zucchini blended and used as a base (not sure if that's on their menu or not), as far as I can tell this isn't part of a chain, they seem good in that they aren't opening on Thunder weekend (and thereby giving up a lot of potential weekend business) and instead waiting until all staff is fully trained . . .

Seems to me like they're doing almost everything right, and you make that comment before they've even opened?
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:51 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:I'sn't this just a tad snarky???

No. It was a serious question. I think industrial eggs are marginally evil. Did you read about the egg magnate in Iowa who's actually doing prison time for letting dangerous eggs into the retail stream? It's sad, but I have the impression that very few eateries make the commitment to use quality local eggs, even though providers like Chelsea's and Ridge Acres are ramping up to meet growing demand.

I take it this seriously: I won't knowingly eat industrial eggs, and I'll pass on egg dishes in restaurants unless they can assure me they buy local/Kentucky Proud.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:50 am

We were up early this morning, and decided to try Zeggz before work. We ordered the special Zeggz Omelet (caramelized onion, cherub tomatoes, zucchini, broccoli sprouts, and Havarti cheese, ordered with 3-cheese grits and English muffin), and Enchi's and Eggz (cheese enchiladas baked in ranchero sauce topped with two eggs, avocado, and breakfast potato).

It's still early – they only opened on Monday – so instead of a full "review" let me touch on some positives and negatives . . .

Positives:
• The omelet was very good. Actually was enough cheese (we're cheese lovers), and obviously Havarti!
• The English muffin was thick and light – sort of like a Wolfermann's, but seemed lighter.
• They have Diet Dr. Pepper on the menu (I'm sorry, but I'm addicted, and most places have regular Dr. Pepper but few have Diet).
• The ranchero sauce was very spicy – not too much for breakfast, but just perfect!
• The "over easy" eggs I ordered with the enchiladas were cooked perfectly, with runny yolks and solid whites. Again, sounds easy, but rarely find that.
• I ordered the breakfast potatoes extra well done, and they were. I always order them that way, and Wild Eggs just has trouble with that, Verbana does it sometimes, others have no idea, and these were worth going back for! What made them extra good were the onions – there were a lot of caramelized onions with the potato cubes, but for our tastes the amount was just right.
• The wait staff was pleasant, and filled in for each other. I was out of Diet Dr. P, and a waitress (not ours) noticed this and brought a refill. Don't see that very often!

Negatives:
• Our waitress was also acting as hostess, and at one point was called by the chef that an order was ready (it was ours). When we left, there was a "real" hostess taking over.
• The 3-cheese grits weren't very cheesy (again, we like cheese). We mentioned it to the staff, and they said we were not the only ones with that comment, and they were tweaking the recipe (remember, they've been open all of three days!).
• The menu is somewhat limited. They have five omelets (plus a build-your-own), three benedicts, eight "specialtz", and five sweets (French toast/waffles/pancakes), which is enough, but not as much as many of the competition. (They do have a lunch menu, also)

Overall, I'd definitely keep it on the rotation! My wife still likes Wild Eggs better, but this is geographically convenient much of the time, and we will be back.
Andrew Mellman
User

Mary Anne

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville: Highlands

by Mary Anne » Fri May 01, 2015 2:04 pm

Haven't seen many updates on this place since they opened, so I will fill in scoop from the sandwich side of the menu. I figured they would be slammed since it's Oaks day and no one is at work or school, but it was pretty light the entire time we were there.

I got an Albacore Tuna Salad sandwich with fries, my lunch mate got a Bluegrass Chicken Salad with fruit. The chicken salad won by a landslide. Very well prepared and a generous serving size, chicken was mixed with pears, celery and tarragon mayo. The tuna salad was not as big a hit. Maybe it's just me, but in MaryAnneland tuna salad shouldn't be sour. The manager came by and asked our opinions. They apparently put lime juice in it, a *hint* of lime the menu said...between that and the vinaigrettey salad underneath it it was flat out tart. He kindly comped the tuna for us. The fries were great, had a little seasoned salt on them, the fruit looked fresh and good. We are water drinkers and they brought us a pitcher of our own. Service was attentive. I thought this was a chain, but I think maybe not. I'd like to go back and try some of the breakfast items, they looked good. Worth a try but kind of off the radar on that side of the street. It's on the south side of 22 across the street from where Costco/Lowes/Cabelas lives. I find myself wishing these guys would have waited a few months to open and set up in Kaelins/Mulligans spot.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri May 01, 2015 9:27 pm

Laura and I went there for lunch yesterday although we actually had breakfast items. Their menu is along the same lines of the other breakfast places on this side of town, Wild Eggs, Verbena and First Watch although it probably has a few less items. Laura had the eggs Benedict which was a great rendition of the classic dish, the eggs were done perfectly, the holidays was nicely flavored and just the right amount, the ham was very flavorful and the English muffin was very nice underneath it. I had the enchiladas top with guacamole and sunny side up eggs, another very well done dish. Both were served with side orders of their house potatoes which were very good but a little on the cool side when served. The caramelized onions with the potatoes were done perfectly and are very nice addition.

We were there about 1 o'clock and the restaurant was about 1/3 full which isn't bad for how long they've been open and the time of day it was. Service was very good and the entire waitstaff seemed very upbeat about the future of the restaurant. From what they told us this is the first restaurant of what the investors hope to become a chain of about 50 restaurants quite rapidly. This is their proving ground and test bed for future locations. Their next location will be on Lime Kiln Road according to the waitstaff.

By the way Robin, I discussed what type of eggs they use with the waiter and they do use eggs from local farms, not commercially available eggs. They also use many other well thought of products such as Benton bacon etc.

While the restaurant isn't extremely convenient for us it's certainly something we will consider anytime we are headed in that direction.