Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Something old, something new

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:12 pm

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

Selections from Shandaar Indian Restaurant's lunch buffet

Let's touch down for a couple of quick hits on the metro dining scene this week. Uptown Café has been a Bardstown Road landmark for 20 years, serving always reliable fare in a friendly setting that keeps bringing people back for more.

Shandaar Indian is so new that its well-crafted Facebook page still has that new-page smell. So far out in the East End that it feels closer to downtown Shelbyville than downtown Louisville, it proved to be well worth the trek.

I didn't bring high expectations to the 20-mile trip, frankly. Sure, the gang of foodies on the LouisvilleHotBytes Forum had been talking the place up, but its aggressively suburban location placed it well outside the region's usual good-eats zones.

Moreover, it is housed in the spacious facility that was once occupied by a Chinese buffet that justly earned one of my lowest review ratings ever. And just to put the onions on the naan, it features a lunch buffet, not always the most inspiring culinary option.

But, Indian! We fired up the jalopy, headed east, and were rewarded with a delicious Indian meal - yes, from the buffet - that was loaded with flavors that snap, crackle and pop. ...

Shandaar Indian Restaurant
1801 Priority Way
261-7391
http://shandaarlouisville.com
https://facebook.com/ShandaarIndianRestaurant
Robin Garr's rating: 90 points

To understand Uptown Café, it is helpful to recall the story of its now-departed older sibling, Cafe Metro, which opened around 1981, joining the then-growing Bardstown Road dining scene as an upscale, relatively conservative dining room tuned for the well-heeled diner who sought a good meal in an elegant setting without too many culinary surprises.

It thrived on that demographic for nearly three decades, but the Great Recession dealt it a mortal blow, and it closed abruptly in the autumn of 2009, citing "declining business."

Fortunately, though, in the mid-90s, owner Nancy Shepherd planted Uptown Café right next door. Kicked up with light renovations, it remains a popular dining room and watering hole. Executive Chef Matt Weber reliably turns out appetizing fare, and the friendly, stylish bar appears consistently full. ...

Uptown Café
1624 Bardstown Road
458-4212
uptownlouisville.com
Robin Garr's rating: 84 points

Read the full reviews on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/somet ... ething-new

See this column also in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/04/someth ... thing-new/
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Re: Something old, something new

by TP Lowe » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:36 am

Cafe Metro was truly a pioneer on the Louisville Scene. First "white tablecloth" restaurant I went to after moving here in 1987 - lots of great memories (sweetbreads!). Can't get too fired up over Uptown.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:26 pm

Agree re: Cafe Metro, but I do like the Uptown. You may be surprised to hear this, but their burger is really one of the best in town, and the shrimp bisque is hands down my favorite soup on any menu in the city (Deano's mushroom fume is a close second). The Uptown also has the most courteous and friendly front of the house staff you will find in Louisville. It's not the most cutting edge place in town (hello salmon croquettes!), but it is consistent and friendly. I also like a place that is a second generation, locally owned business.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:46 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:I do like the Uptown.

I sure hope that I didn't come across as disliking Uptown! I'm pretty much on board with everything you said. I don't think of it as a place to go for creative, cutting-edge cuisine, and I did seek to express that. But "consistent and friendly," with assets like "great burger" are certainly good things.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:15 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:Agree re: Cafe Metro, but I do like the Uptown. You may be surprised to hear this, but their burger is really one of the best in town, and the shrimp bisque is hands down my favorite soup on any menu in the city (Deano's mushroom fume is a close second). The Uptown also has the most courteous and friendly front of the house staff you will find in Louisville. It's not the most cutting edge place in town (hello salmon croquettes!), but it is consistent and friendly. I also like a place that is a second generation, locally owned business.

Hi Ron.

I'm glad you posted this. It sums up my feelings exactly.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:13 am

Sorry if I sounded negative ... not my usual tactic!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:25 am

TP Lowe wrote:Sorry if I sounded negative ... not my usual tactic!

You didn't sound negative, I just wanted a quick check on my tone. :)