Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Hammerheads, Never EVER Again

by Marsha L. » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:00 pm

Yes, it'd be a technical health department foul to store the food in the restaurant's refrigeration units, but they could have put it to the side somewhere for a few minutes without putting it in any danger of spoilage. (For instance, wherever they set their to-go orders while waiting for the customer to come and claim them.) After a reasonable time, say 25 or 30 minutes, if there's been no return and no phone call, then it can and should be tossed. But whatever happens, there's no excuse to be rude to a customer. The person who was rude to Doug should have referred the situation to a manager instead. I feel strongly the guest wasn't at that point speaking to a manager. I'm happy to hear the restaurant has reached out to make amends. (the companion Facebook thread to this post reports the restaurant has apologized and offered a refund, maybe Doug can confirm this?)

Where I work, had this happened I feel sure we would have apologized and re-made the food if they felt like they could wait, or offered a gift card and profuse apologies if not. After all, these really weren't even "just leftovers" - it was the Doug's and his daughter's entire meal. Sounds like they spent quite a bit of money for a dad and his little girl.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:49 pm

SheilaKalajdžić wrote:Tossing the boxes was necessary because of health dept. codes

Marsha L. wrote:Yes, it'd be a technical health department foul to store the food in the restaurant's refrigeration units, but they could have put it to the side somewhere for a few minutes without putting it in any danger of spoilage. (For instance, wherever they set their to-go orders while waiting for the customer to come and claim them.)

So I reached out to the local health department inspector working today, since there seemed to be some confusion on this topic. As Marsha say's above and the food inspector verified to me by phone holding a customer's left behind to go boxes at the server station or bar, for a bit is not a violation. It would in fact be just like having prepped a to-go order for someone.
If the restaurant wanted to further protect themselves writing the customers name and a time on it, would definitely keep any suspicion from being aroused.

Clay Cundiff wrote:I fail to see why anyone would feel a restaurant should be held resposible for someone's left behind take home boxes being thrown away a situation like this. Or why a customer would feel that the restaurant should eat the cost of the meal. Customer orders food.

Clay, it wasnt scraps or left overs. It was the whole meal. And why? Because they are in the customer service business. YMMV.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Allen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Valley Station, Kentucky

by Allen P » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:37 pm

It is true that placing it aside in a bag is much like a call ahead carry out order. Putting it back in the refrigerator would be a violation.

I've been the victim of doing the same thing as I suffer from migraines and nausea that once at the cracker barrel the food took forever to get to the table and by the time it did I not feel like eating I boxed my meal up and let my Mom and Aunt eat theirs. I forgot to take my meal with me.

I got up and helped my mom get my aunt back into her wheelchair as it makes her feel better to sit in the chair at the table than in her uncomfortable chair that won't let her get close enough to the table to eat without making a big mess and loaded her in the car. By the time I realized I left my meal behind I went back in, we never left the parking lot our table was gone and the food was cleared. Including my very full carryout container with my full meal in it.

I did get a warm apology from the manager who said it was their policy to clear the table as soon as the guest leaves when they are busy and anything left behind is thrown away. No offer of coupon, refund, nothing was given to me... it was my mistake by leaving the food behind. At least they were nice about it and I learned NOT to leave my food behind again.

I've attempted to eat at hammerheads twice, although it's been two years before my illness, and I have to say to call their service rude and dreadful would insult rude and dreadful service. They are not about pleasing their guests and I think they go out of their way to hire the snobbiest rude people they can find. It wasn't just our table... it was everyone we witnessed they dealt with.

I can totally see this person being treated with attitude... at least the owner made it right. It would do their business good if they paid more attention to how their staff treat people.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:04 pm

Allen P wrote:I've attempted to eat at hammerheads twice, although it's been two years before my illness, and I have to say to call their service rude and dreadful would insult rude and dreadful service. They are not about pleasing their guests and I think they go out of their way to hire the snobbiest rude people they can find. It wasn't just our table... it was everyone we witnessed they dealt with.

I can totally see this person being treated with attitude... at least the owner made it right. It would do their business good if they paid more attention to how their staff treat people.

Yep and now Im being attacked on Facebook by their legion of tattooed hipster fans. :roll:

Ive been told I should "go eat at Mark's Feedstore". LOL :roll:
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:19 pm

Allen P wrote:I did get a warm apology from the manager who said it was their policy to clear the table as soon as the guest leaves when they are busy and anything left behind is thrown away. No offer of coupon, refund, nothing was given to me... it was my mistake by leaving the food behind. At least they were nice about it and I learned NOT to leave my food behind again.

IMO, this is how it should have been handled. I don't think they had an obligation to keep it a certain amount of time -- if they kept it 15 minutes and one returned after 17 minutes, would it still be an issue? It's arbitrary. I can imagine reasons why some places do not set boxes aside at all, but it should still be communicated.

I've not been to HH, but I'm a regular at their other spot, Loop 22. I've never had a problem with service there.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:32 pm

Doug Davis wrote:holding a customer's left behind

That COULD be a violation of another kind... :wink:
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:44 pm

Marsha L. wrote:

Yeah but I leave big tips for that! LOL :lol:
I eat, therefore I am.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:06 pm

Doug, how in the hell did you speak to a Health Department official mid-afternoon on a Friday? I can't get an inspector on the phone after 10am on a Tuesday. You must know somebody.... :mrgreen:

I am disheartened to hear that the restaurant's fans are going all ad hominem on you. While the restaurant cannot be held accountable for its clientele, necessarily, it is disappointing to see a lack of tact from that sector and only reinforces your opinion of the establishment.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:16 pm

RonnieD wrote:Doug, how in the hell did you speak to a Health Department official mid-afternoon on a Friday? I can't get an inspector on the phone after 10am on a Tuesday. You must know somebody.... :mrgreen:

I am disheartened to hear that the restaurant's fans are going all ad hominem on you. While the restaurant cannot be held accountable for its clientele, necessarily, it is disappointing to see a lack of tact from that sector and only reinforces your opinion of the establishment.

LOL I just called and left a message on his voice mail. He called me back a few hours later. He said since he's a city employee I cant use his name on here, but that if I said it was the inspector on duty on Friday those of you in the industry would know who he was or could find out.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Allen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:38 pm

Valley Station, Kentucky

by Allen P » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:20 pm

Marsha L. wrote:

Marsha dear... that may be a violation but the service would get points for being x-tra friendly.
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:05 am

If a customer with a child asks for a to go box for almost an entire meal, then common sense would dictate that the food not be immediately thrown away. However, it's entirely possible that an employee who was not aware of the situation just saw a bag on the table and simply tossed it... perhaps thinking it was merely forgotten leftovers.

Regardless, the customer shouldn't be treated rudely if they return looking for a forgotten bag or box.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:12 am

Paul S wrote:If a customer with a child asks for a to go box for almost an entire meal, then common sense would dictate that the food not be immediately thrown away. However, it's entirely possible that an employee who was not aware of the situation just saw a bag on the table and simply tossed it... perhaps thinking it was merely forgotten leftovers.

Regardless, the customer shouldn't be treated rudely if they return looking for a forgotten bag or box.

Those are exactly my thoughts. Unless the waitress who actually bagged the entire meal was the one who cleared the table, the person clearing it would have no idea that the to go box contains the entire meal for the party.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:46 pm

I don't have a dog in this fight. I've never been there. But after reading this thread I will never go there.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:02 am

Tony G wrote:I don't have a dog in this fight. I've never been there. But after reading this thread I will never go there.

Same here
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:20 am

Never going there, I'll eat at Marks instead, they have better service
PreviousNext