Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Hey chef! Mind if I visit during the dinner rush? ;)

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:40 am

Hey, chefs and foodies! Is this a good idea or a bad idea? How do chefs respond to requests like this?

The Kitchn wrote:Five tips on getting into (and learning from) a restaurant kitchen

Some of the most informative, intriguing, and hilarious experiences of my life have been in restaurant kitchens, learning from accomplished chefs all over the world. So how did I manage to get into the back of the house, and how has it helped my own home cooking?

I asked. That's it. After sitting down, scanning the menu, and putting in my order, I usually inquire of the server if I may briefly visit with the chef who's preparing our meal. Nine times out of 10, the staff of any restaurant accommodates this request. Most often, the chefs I visit are happy to answer a few questions about the food.

Full article online:
http://www.thekitchn.com/5-tips-on-gett ... chn-137259
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

Re: Hey chef! Mind if I visit during the dinner rush? ;)

by Susanne Smith » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:33 pm

When I was Deano's sous chef, I often got asked to go out to tables and meet with friends, admirers, etc.... It was always an honor, but almost always an inconvenience, especially on a busy night. I think this idea has some merits, but only on slow nights, and pre-arranged. One of the biggest disasters ever..was when a local housewife and aspiring foodie/cook bid on KET and won on the cooking classes in the kitchen. She lasted about two hours and was bought off with a multitude of free dinners. The normal busy kitchen in no place for idle chit-chat and one misplaced person can get hurt very quickly. I would say all in all, it is a terrible idea without some prior planning.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Hey chef! Mind if I visit during the dinner rush? ;)

by Jay M. » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:44 pm

Susanne Smith wrote:When I was Deano's sous chef, I often got asked to go out to tables and meet with friends, admirers, etc.... It was always an honor, but almost always an inconvenience, especially on a busy night. I think this idea has some merits, but only on slow nights, and pre-arranged. One of the biggest disasters ever..was when a local housewife and aspiring foodie/cook bid on KET and won on the cooking classes in the kitchen. She lasted about two hours and was bought off with a multitude of free dinners. The normal busy kitchen in no place for idle chit-chat and one misplaced person can get hurt very quickly. I would say all in all, it is a terrible idea without some prior planning.

Speaking of Dean, does Corbett's still have the separate, small dining room with the CCTV showing a live feed from the kitchen? There was audio, too, and chefs could explain what they were doing. That seems like a much better and safer way to allow the guests a BOH kitchen experience - they have big knives back there, you know.