Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

BBC Rebranded

no avatar
User

Rob S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:42 am

BBC Rebranded

by Rob S » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:20 pm

http://louisvillebeer.com/louisville-be ... g-company/

Doesn't say if any changes are in store for the restaurants. Name is pretty juvenilistic - hope it works for them.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: BBC Rebranded

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:13 pm

I read this pretty quickly this morning, but isn't this the brewing operation at Clay Street Live, NOT the BBC restaurants in St Matthews and down by the Yum?

I won't sit in judgement on the new name, but I do agree that there was some confusion between the restaurants and the brewery. I almost wonder if BBC restaurants were pushing for this to happen.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I read this pretty quickly this morning, but isn't this the brewing operation at Clay Street Live, NOT the BBC restaurants in St Matthews and down by the Yum?

That's right. I agree, the name issue was confusing.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:14 pm

Was there a negative association with the old name? I don't understand the need for a change. If you wanted to focus on something, that's fine, but why not just debut a "premium" brand called "goodwood" (if you must) under the BBC umbrella?

Also, not really impressed with "goodwood."
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:39 pm

I liked they passed on "touchwood" but went with goodwood. Was stiffwood, hardwood, bigwood, ragingwood, or morningwood taken? :roll:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:38 pm

RonnieD wrote:Was there a negative association with the old name?

I'm pretty sure that it's to distinguish between the BBC restaurants contra the BBC Brewing Co at Clay and Main, which have actually been under separate ownership for years. I have no inside knowledge, but it may be that one party or the other really desired an end to the confusion.
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:07 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
RonnieD wrote:Was there a negative association with the old name?

I'm pretty sure that it's to distinguish between the BBC restaurants contra the BBC Brewing Co at Clay and Main, which have actually been under separate ownership for years. I have no inside knowledge, but it may be that one party or the other really desired an end to the confusion.

There has always been confusion between the two BBC "brands". Completely different ownership groups that splintered off from the original company. Their base beers were supposed to use the same recipes so that if you got an American Pale Ale from the bottle or from one of their restaurants, it should be the same, but that was rarely the case. If you had two chef's working from the same recipe, there would always be differences. If one side had a bad batch of beer that got out into the market, it could negatively effect that other business because they share the same company name.

From a retailer's perspective, we would always have people that had a beer at one of the BBC brew pubs and would come into our stores looking for that beer. Nobody ever knew or understood that they were two different companies. Personally, I'm very happy with the name change to help differentiate between the two.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:46 pm

Thank you Todd, that explains it perfectly. I was not aware that there was THAT much difference between the two. There should definitely be a name change when the differences become that significant.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY