Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

CJ goes to Ditto's today

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

CJ goes to Ditto's today

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:35 pm

I am pretty much left without words, both by her "interesting" analysis of Louisville having been a mediocre food town in 1990 and by her choice of Ditto's as an example to prove the point. Three stars, of course.

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/en ... /70740616/
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: CJ goes to Ditto's today

by RonnieD » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:46 pm

I don't know that she is trying to say Ditto's proves we were a mediocre food town in 1990. I think she is trying to say it was great when it opened and has been consistently great for the past 25 years. On that I can agree. Having been both a customer and employee of Ditto's during the past 20 of those years, I can say that her assessment is pretty spot on. Some really classic dishes that are always dependable delicious, and a few adventures that may or may not hit the mark.

Frank and Dominic have established Ditto's as a Louisville mainstay and I think they have done a great job of it. Aimee and I passed there yesterday and remarked that it had been far too long since we had been.

As to the former point, having moved here in 1995, I can tell you that by comparison, we are much better now than we were then in terms of being a food town.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:49 pm

I sadly care so little about the Courier Journal now I can't be bothered to change web browsers to get past their paywall, so I'm just going to glean from your comments what the review was actually about :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:02 pm

RonnieD wrote: we are much better now than we were then in terms of being a food town.

Every place in the US is. Except maybe NYC, San Francisco, New Orleans. It's part of the changing culture. But Louisville has always led the region, not only when the local dining renaissance started in the '70s - not the '90s - but even in our parents' and grandparents' time. Sorry, but that was an inane statement. (By her, not you.)

As for Ditto's, I agree, Ronnie, that it shows its breeding in having been formed by Casa G alums, but it's still far from innovative. I like it, but when I go in that door, I'm really more likely to turn left and head back to Stevens & Stevens for Louisville's best deli. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:16 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Louisville has always led the region, not only when the local dining renaissance started in the '70s - not the '90s - but even in our parents' and grandparents' time. :

While that may in fact be true, we moved here in '82 and with maybe three exceptions it was a wasteland. Chinese restaurants featured NY steak, Hasenour's actually stayed open till 10, Grisanti's was a lone beacon, but we could drive to a different county for Hungarian (Soos?)! Masterson's had gyros on the menu, but one had to search for it. We moved from Chicago via Memphis, and found Memphis ahead of Louisville, while Chicago was in the stratosphere!

I feel the renaissance started in the 90's.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:42 pm

What is a "Currier Jurnal"? Never heard of one. :D
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:53 pm

I don't see the beef?

Seems to me Robin is in such a hurry to run over here and do the weekly CJ bashing that he failed miserably in reading comprehension.