Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Baraka Restaurant

no avatar
User

Kat Ray King

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 27, 2010 6:23 pm

Louisville, KY

Baraka Restaurant

by Kat Ray King » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:03 pm

Wanted to give a shout out to Baraka Restaurant: African and Asian Cuisine, Halal Food (full name from their menu). It's at 6th and Oak about one block up from the Rudyard Kipling. The "Asian" part of the name seems to me to refer more toward Indian influences than Chinese or South Asian (Vietnamese, Malaysian, etc). They apparently opened this week and serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I stopped in for dinner yesterday with a couple other folks and we were all really impressed with the quality of the food. You order at the counter and they call you up when it's ready. They have a pretty large number of options but essentially you pick a meat and tell them if you want rice, bread, or noodles with it. I tried their fish curry with the chapati bread, person 1 got the chicken saqaar with rice, and person 2 got the chicken steak with rice. We shared two sanbusas and a burr plus an extra order of chapati. The fish curry was one of the best stewed fish dishes I've had. It was a very generous serving, though the fish was submerged under a layer of sauce, which made it appear there was less in the bowl than there actually was - I was just barely able to eat the last two bites after polishing off most of the bowl. The chapati is flaky and doughy all at the same time, and is the perfect vessel for scooping up mouthfuls of fish and sauce. I would go back for the bread alone, but the rest of the food was also great.

Person 1 proudly proclaimed "look, I'm eating cabbage" in reference to the cabbage-like veggie that was cooked with the cubes of chicken for the saqaar. It was not as heavily spiced as the curry, but still had a lot of flavor. Unfortunately I only got one bite, as person 1 consumed every bit afterward. Person 2 allowed me a couple of bites of the chicken steak before polishing off the rest without help. It's a pair of pounded-thin chicken pieces lightly floured and spiced that's sauteed or otherwise pan fried. The addition of a little lime juice went a long way, and really brought the meal together. The sanbusas were chock-full of veggies and seasoning, and the burr was a tasty, slightly sweet, dense donut that made a great dessert option.

The only negative for me was that they had sold out of the goat before we got there, so I wasn't able to try it. Darn, I guess I'll have to go back until I manage to catch them with some in stock. Link to pictures of the menu is below. Only some of the dishes have pictures on the menu; the rest are listed in the last photo on the upper right-hand side.

http://imgur.com/a/WQlRx
Kat Ray King
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Baraka Restaurant

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:04 pm

Thanks for the scouting report, Kat Ray. Excellent review!
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:10 pm

Awesome! Guessing it's Somali, then -- the only other place I've ever seen offer "confederation" is the restaurant in the Somali Mall. Looking forward to trying it.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks for the review, definitely have to try that!