Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Favorite Sushi/Japanese?

no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Favorite Sushi/Japanese?

by Kim H » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:00 pm

At Robin's suggestion, I am posing this question again. I know some of the favorites, but what is yours?
Last edited by Kim H on Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Favorite Sushi/Japanese?

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:23 pm

Quick response: Sapporo on Bardstown gets a lot of applause. So does Hiko-A-Mon in Westport Village and Sake Blue in Fern Creek. Osaka and Barcode 1758 on Frankfort Avenue have their partisans, but also their critics.

There are tons more around. Let's see what other folks have to say!

no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:42 pm

I'll admit upfront that I'm very picky about my sushi and what I'll eat. But I really like Sapporo in the Highlands. And I love Sake Blue, but because I am loathe to leave my part of town, I rarely get out there to enjoy it. Dragon King's Daughter is another fave.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:53 pm

Asahi in St. Matthew's is very good, reasonably priced and they help is very friendly. It's quite small but that's part of its charm. It's on Lexington Road just in from Lots of Pasta.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:36 pm

My two favorites are Oishi on Taylorsville Rd across from Bowman Field and Asahi on Lexington Rd.

I enjoy most of the others mentioned altho there are two I won't go to. Sake Blue is quite good and we like DKD in New Albany for late night munchies.

Really liked Wasaybia but it is now closed because of rent increase. I have tried to help them get the front part of Carlye Rae's on 3/Oak but not sure that is going to happen. Might be just as well as it would be walking distance.

Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:04 pm

I've eaten at literally every sushi restaurant in Louisville multiple times (except two, where I've gone only once) -- yes, I have a sushi and sashimi problem -- and, as I posted on Facebook: Hiko-a-mon is by far and away the best. Nothing in Louisville comes remotely close to it. The only place I've been that tops it is Uchi down in Austin.

It's also worth noting that Hiko-a-mon also has the best ramen in town, if you haven't tried it.

Hiko is one of three places here that the fish is so good, and the dishes so well made, that I flat refuse to use soy sauce (or, if obligated to do so, use the tiniest amount possible). Some of the places I see mentioned online as Louisville treats, if you remove the dumping of soy sauce on their ingredients, come across quite quickly as the low cost/substitute ingredient places they really are.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam Robinson » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:05 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Quick response: Sapporo on Bardstown gets a lot of applause. So does Hiko-A-Mon in Westport Village and Sake Blue in Fern Creek. Osaka and Barcode 1758 on Frankfort Avenue have their partisans, but also their critics.

There are tons more around. Let's see what other folks have to say!

Robin: Don't forget Hiko-A-Mon on Muhammed Ali. They've done an awful job advertising it, but that's the one we go to now, because it's often more relaxed due to no one knowing it is there.
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:39 pm

Between this post and my question specifically regarding Tokyo's new incarnation, I've received fabulous responses! Not surprising from this forum. I believe we'll check out Hiko--A-Mon next time. Question - is it pretty casual, i.e. hands ok? Or is it more biz-casual/upscale? We like cas unless it's a specific or special occasion.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Adam Robinson » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:51 pm

Kim H wrote:Between this post and my question specifically regarding Tokyo's new incarnation, I've received fabulous responses! Not surprising from this forum. I believe we'll check out Hiko--A-Mon next time. Question - is it pretty casual, i.e. hands ok? Or is it more biz-casual/upscale? We like cas unless it's a specific or special occasion.

People are there anywhere between blue jeans and suits. The Muhammed Ali locations look "nicer" than the one in Westport Village, which tends to be a lot more casual. I've eaten there so many times and in so many different outfits I honestly don't even think about it when I go. General description would be that you rarely see people in a tie, unless it's a big dinner group. I don't frequent places that require coats on principle, so the fact I'm commenting answers that part at least. :D

As far as casualness, however you want to do it. They have chopsticks by default, will usually bring you a fork if you ask or if the dish calls for it, and the "correct" way of eating Sushi (re: with your hands, not with chopsticks -- not that I really care, and no I don't want to have the "correct" way to eat sushi argument with anyone for the millionth time) has never gotten me even a small negative glance at the sushi bar; I always eat with my hands if I'm by myself; I use chopsticks when I'm with other people who are insistent Japanese people care only about chopstick usage, or when I'm at a sushi place where I'm fairly certain the workers know nothing about sushi. :D
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:04 pm

Adam - thank you! I have to add a lol@me for not editing my post well :? "hands ok?" was supposed to be, "jeans ok?" I love chopsticks cuz it's like playing with my food, and I grew up with them on occasional meals from mom, as my parents lived in Japan for 3 years prior to my existence. But I have no problem picking the darn thing up with my hands when it starts to fall apart. I'm small, and can't do that one-bite sushi! (editing post right now, wish me luck!)
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:37 pm

Kim H wrote:Between this post and my question specifically regarding Tokyo's new incarnation, I've received fabulous responses! Not surprising from this forum. I believe we'll check out Hiko--A-Mon next time. Question - is it pretty casual, i.e. hands ok? Or is it more biz-casual/upscale? We like cas unless it's a specific or special occasion.

We're usually in jeans, but as reported I've seen everything there!

Some other suggestions: they have a grilled calamari appetizer that's one perfect squid, sliced and grilled, with spicy may on the side. It's literally to die for! Also, their soups are outstanding (udon, beef curry soup, ramen) and very reasonable (low teens). They started as a fish restaurant, and you will not be unhappy if you go with a non-sushi person who does like fish (we're sushi addicts, and sometimes we get fish or soup because it's so good!)

One more thing: make a reservation if you can! They are on Open Table. We've gone in during the week and sometimes there's a long wait, as it's gradually become more and more popular.
Last edited by Andrew Mellman on Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:37 pm

New question - suggested rolls? I'm more of a sashimi gal, but looking for recommendations for the hubby. (neither of us are big on hand rolls).
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:43 pm

Kim H wrote:New question - suggested rolls? I'm more of a sashimi gal, but looking for recommendations for the hubby. (neither of us are big on hand rolls).

You can't go wrong. . .

They have several without rice, which are a tad different (soy wrapped, noodles inside). We usually order four, along with the grilled squid, for the two of us, and are stuffed but happy.

I also ask the wait staff for a recommendation. We got to the Manhattan roll that way, and now it's pretty standard for us. We also get the holiday and Jennifer a lot, and I like the kaki maki (or something like that - fried oysters) even tho it's not raw.

They also make a great Bento Box.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Kat Ray King

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 27, 2010 6:23 pm

Louisville, KY

by Kat Ray King » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:27 pm

Dragon King's Daughter will always be my go-to option for Japanese food.

I'll have to try Hiko-A-Man for my next foray outside of my usual choices. Did I see that the downtown location is on par with the original? I'm all about options closer to where I live (in a food desert).
Kat Ray King
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:04 pm

Thank you, Andrew! You're always so helpful! We probably won't make it there till next week due to changing circumstances, but disappointed to hear there's such a wait. :(
Next