Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Re: Favorite Sushi/Japanese?

by Adam Robinson » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:17 pm

Kat Ray King wrote:Dragon King's Daughter will always be my go-to option for Japanese food.

I'll have to try Hiko-A-Man for my next foray outside of my usual choices. Did I see that the downtown location is on par with the original? I'm all about options closer to where I live (in a food desert).

The Downtown location, IMO, is actually nicer than the original. The food is the same quality, though service was shaky at the beginning. The only issue with it is that, at least in the six (I think) times I've been to it, it never has any business. We've been the only people there all but two of those times. I don't know if it does well for lunch, assuming it must or it would already close given the overhead. I think it's a combination of lack of advertising (it wasn't even on the website until recently), and the typical "hard to park" locale. Parking back in the garage for a few bucks doesn't matter to me, but I know people who won't go eat down there for that exact reason. It probably also didn't help them that for a quite a while if you tried to make a reservation for that location on OpenTable, it referred you back to the Westport Village location in the background (and made your reservation there instead!). That's fixed, though.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:19 pm

Kim H wrote:New question - suggested rolls? I'm more of a sashimi gal, but looking for recommendations for the hubby. (neither of us are big on hand rolls).

Everything Andrew said. You may also want to try the Derby roll, though it's admittedly impossible to eat in one bite, even for big-mouthed people like me. That tends to be the one even non-sushi fans tend to like.

Per sashimi, try the mackerel. One of two places in Louisville whose mackerel appears to be actually really fresh.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:21 pm

Kim H wrote:Thank you, Andrew! You're always so helpful! We probably won't make it there till next week due to changing circumstances, but disappointed to hear there's such a wait. :(

You can ALWAYS sit at the sushi counter (and then ask the chefs for recommendations), and - like every other place in town - Mon/Tue is much less crowded.
Andrew Mellman
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:37 pm

Mmmmm... I'm one of the oddballs who loves mackerel sushi! Pretty sure it's not very popular, but I like it! Quail egg shooter on the side, please. Thanks, Adam!

That's true about the sushi bar, Andrew, I tend to forget that option. And early in the week would be best. I appreciate all the tips and suggestions! I can't wait!
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:18 am

Went to Sakura Blue in the Shelbyville Rd Plaza to night. It was very good. Service was excellent.

I seldom go to a Japanese place so don't really know how to compare. Got a bunch of different sushi and all were good. Seventeen year old grandson was the reason we went. He did the ordering except for a couple of different meals. Place was crowded and we had a few minutes wait. Will return.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:23 pm

Oishii has always been our favorite for sushi. As for general Japanese in Louisville, I haven't found a place that compares to Akai Hana in Columbus, OH. Maybe Masa is a good option?

If I recall correctly, hiko-a-mon seemed a little pricey.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:53 pm

Paul S wrote:If I recall correctly, hiko-a-mon seemed a little pricey.

Some of the fresh fish dishes are in the low to mid $20's, not out of line today for a fresh fish main dish (IMHO). The soup meals are in the very low teens. Sushi is variable, depending on whether you get a specialty roll (roughly $8-15) or a standard roll (much lower, but don't remember). It's not cheap, but I feel it is worth it - you are paying for quality.
Andrew Mellman
Previous