Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Tokyo Japanese?

User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Tokyo Japanese?

by Kim H » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:49 pm

Anyone been lately? We were there twice shortly after the new owners took over, and weren't very pleased. They were still in the process of changing to their own menu, and we haven't returned to check out their updates. I really hated their gyoza (sent bk, which I almost never do, 2nd round same as the first), but it was early in their transition, so don't want to bash them on anything. Any recent input/opinions? (and I will still miss my Japanese gma :-( )
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Tokyo Japanese?

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:03 pm

Kim, we went with a bunch of friends within the last month or two, and I passed on doing a review, not because it was actively bad but because it just didn't seem to have the edge that it used to have.

I'm reluctant to speculate about this, but I understand that the former owners were a Japanese family and, I'm told, the older gentleman was a trained sushi chef. The new owners, I'm told, are a Korean family, and the menu now seems to reflect more of what I'd call a mixed Japanese, Korean and Chinese-American cuisine, none of it actively bad but without the little extra that the former owners delivered. Not bad enough to justify trashing them, just disappointing to those who knew them when. Since it's not really on the beaten path, I decided not to review them now but to wait a while and try again.
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

by Kim H » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:13 pm

Thanks, Robin. Our experiences were disappointing, and the old Tokyo was just getting my husband into sushi, and it's very close to our house! Appreciate the input, guess we'll look elsewhere for Japanese. Opinions on Ginza?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:39 pm

Kim H wrote:Thanks, Robin. Our experiences were disappointing, and the old Tokyo was just getting my husband into sushi, and it's very close to our house! Appreciate the input, guess we'll look elsewhere for Japanese. Opinions on Ginza?

Is Ginza the one over on Shelbyville Road near Hurstbourne? I was very disappointed in a visit a few years ago. Sapporo is noisy but good. Sake Blue out in Fern Creek gets good reviews, especially for creative sushi rolls. Osaka on Frankfort has a lot of partisans in the neighborhood, and I had good luck at Barcode 1760 (former Maido), but a lot of people have been less impressed.
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/we-sa ... rcode-1758

It might be good to start a fresh topic inviting people to nominate their favorite sushi in Louisville! if you'll do it, I'll jump on and try to give it a kickstart from Facebook. :)
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:45 pm

Robin Garr wrote: It might be good to start a fresh topic inviting people to nominate their favorite sushi in Louisville! if you'll do it, I'll jump on and try to give it a kickstart from Facebook. :)

Do it... I'll give you my two Yen on that topic! :D
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:13 pm

I've been a few times now under the new management (most recently 2 weeks ago) and really enjoyed everything I got. I found the fish to be very fresh, and there were some unique sushi rolls that were a big hit with my family. I recommend giving it one more chance.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:59 pm

Hiko-a-Mon is only a minute or two down the road (in Westport Village), and is our "go-to" place for sushi (and for fresh Japanese seafood & fish dishes, noodles, et al). Even in the old days, we'd try Tokyo periodically, but went right back to Hiko.

There are also two not far in Prospect. The one in the Kroger center has more roll options than anywhere else, and the prices are great, but again we still keep ending up at Hiko.
Andrew Mellman
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:22 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Is Ginza the one over on Shelbyville Road near Hurstbourne? I was very disappointed in a visit a few years ago.

You've got the location right for Ginza but it only open lesson a year ago. Either time has been flying for you or you're thinking about someplace different. It's another one of the place that tries to be everything, it's got Chinese, sushi and a few other things mixed in. Their sushi is pretty good and so is the tempura but that's about all we've eaten there. They are a sister restaurant to another one in Lexington.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Kat Ray King

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 27, 2010 6:23 pm

Louisville, KY

by Kat Ray King » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:25 pm

Just a heads up but Barcode 1758 has a groupon right now for $17 for $30 worth of food. It's a good option if you want to check the place out.

Like Robin I have had overall good experiences, though we did catch a bad server one night with a large group. I haven't seen said server on repeat visits, so I suspect she's no longer employed there. The food has always been tasty and filling, though if I want top notch sushi I'll grab whatever the special for the night is or a citrus heat roll at Dragon King's Daughter. Barcode is very approachable cuisine for folks that are adverse to sushi but willing to try things that are Asian-inspired.
Kat Ray King