Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Good Ole Jesse's Dixie Diner

no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Good Ole Jesse's Dixie Diner

by RichardM » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:09 pm

A wet Thursday and Suzib, CFO, & I needed to see the accountant to drop off tax info. Out Dixie Dieway we trudged through puddle and pothole to the office. Four minutes of drop off time and we were on our way again, with me asking if she would like to get some lunch. She inquired as to where and I said, Good Ole Jesse’s Dixie Diner. She agreed.

It then crossed my mind that deciding might have been the easy part to getting there. I had to go left to go farther out Dixie and it was approaching noon. Would I have to turn right to go left like I was in NJ? Just as I thought it might be easier to do that, traffic cleared to my left and with a glance right, I shoved the accelerator into the carb and we were heading South to 9609 Dixie Hwy.

U.S. Funk is how you describe the interior of Jesse’s. Lots of military and para-military signs and other decorations. I love the ceiling fan that looks like the front of a P-40 fighter of the 325th FG, 12th AF. I did a thorough check and found no misspellings on the menu.

What you do find is a good diner menu with home cooking recipes done right. Breakfast served all day. When you go into a diner and see ‘Good Ole’ Appetizers’ listed you have that, “really” moment. We bit the bullet and got Dixie 1/2 Dozen of Deviled Eggs ($6.99). Mixed them up and got three each of traditional and the bacon ones. The third choice is Bourbon - next time when we get a dozen ($10.49). The deviled eggs were outstanding. I would put them up against anyone else’s in town that go for $3.95 for three. Next time I want to try the “Bacon Bombs” - Jesse’s scratch biscuits filled with cheddar and bacon.

I really do enjoy a good rueben sandwich. I was leaning toward the fish sandwich but decided to continue my hunt for THE rueben in Louisville. I was not disappointed with my choice with an order of fries (NO Salt Please). The corned beef had a great flavor and filled the sandwich without being over whelming in trying to pick it up and eat it. The swiss cheese had a good flavor and came through the kraut and thousand island dressing.

As many of you know I am on a good boy diet. No caffeine, low salt only 50 oz of fluid intake a day. I am doing my best to follow it. That is why I asked for no salt on my fries. FIRST thing I did when our lunch arrived was check the fries. No Salt. The waitress wrote it down and put it in on the order and the cook followed suit. I appreciated that from them.

Suzib got the Chicken Salad Sandwich. Homemade chicken salad, with raisins served on a croissant garnished with lettuce and a sweet grilled pineapple. ($7.49) She got chips and they were home made chips still warm when lunch arrived at our table. I looked but didn’t try as you could see the salt on them.

It was a good lunch and we are going to go back a couple times. I want to do breakfast there some morning and do an evening dinner.

Jesse’s is open
M-Thurs: 5:30 am to 8:00 pm (or RED)
Friday: 5:30 am to 10:00 pm (or RED)
Saturday: 7:00 am to 10 pm (or RED)
Sunday: 7:00 am to 8 pm (or RED)
Yellow Light Means Closing In 30 Minutes or less.
You’ll understand the (COLORS) when you go.

https://www.facebook.com/goodolejessies
502-937-6332

The website is listed as: http://www.goodolejessies.com but was NOT working when I checked it out.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Good Ole Jesse's Dixie Diner

by Mark R. » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:26 pm

It's funny that you brought this restaurant up today because we just went there for lunch with a friend of ours who lives out that way! Like you said the place is pleasantly decorated and has a nice vibe. The menu certainly is something that everybody would like, it's a large menu but not over the top and almost everything on it sounded great. Today's lunch special was a pork chop sandwich which tempted me but I love breakfast and since they serve it all day that's what I chose.

I had the Corned Beef Hash Skillet which was a large serving of corned beef hash which also had onions and bacon and it (you certainly can go wrong there). It was topped with two eggs of your choosing, I had mine sunny side up, and it was surrounded by four sections of waffle, kind of unusual but I, like many others, like something sweet when I'm getting something salty.

My wife had their House Eggs Benedict and our friend had the Meat Lovers Omelet. They said both of those items were good and they certainly look good but I couldn't manage to talk them into giving me a taste! Lunch for the three of us including Iced Tea all around with a very reasonable $37 before tip.

I wish it was closer to where we lived although maybe it's a good thing it isn't because we do end up in there all the time and most of the menu items aren't exactly on the healthy side, just the good side! It's certainly a place to try if you're out that way. It's located at 9609 Dixie Highway, about a mile inside of the Snyder.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:47 am

We had a great breakfast there a couple of weeks ago. I had the eggs & chorizo skillet and hub had chicken & waffles. Both were great. We sat at the bar in front, so the owner kept coming over to chat. He seemed thrilled when Bill & Susi from Shady Lane came in. We'll go back, even though it's a trek from Lyndon.
no avatar
User

Tony G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:37 am

Louisville Ky 40214

by Tony G » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:58 pm

Thanks for the heads up. We live close by, right by Iroquois Park and will definitely get to Jessie's and give them a try. Sounds really good. I will report back here. This is one reason I love this forum!
no avatar
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

by Steve Shade » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:06 am

This place has received mostly good reviews on their website. Some bad, mostly for service.

However the quote below is on Jessies facebook page and was penned by the owner. He did apologize later, but that is a serious racist comment.

Laura Ellis — Was planning to come in with some family members who live nearby. But I can't support a place who treats their customers so poorly. You received a negative review, and you should have apologized for that person's experience. Instead, you got immediately defensive & told a person of color to "move to Ferguson where your [sic] needed." Nope.
March 18, 2015
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers