Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Interesting meal at Little India

by Linda C » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:31 pm

I hesitated to post, but before I put it on Yelp, I thought I would share. I went a couple days ago for lunch buffet. This was my third trip to new location , I have never been as happy there as I was with the last place. I walked in ( a doorbell rings) and stood there for several minutes. There was one customer in there enjoying the buffet. Finally , I just seated myself and started on the buffet. Finally the owner came out and I asked for water. I ordered some Malai Kofta to take home to my daughter. That was the last time I saw anyone. I got up twice and helped myself to water from a pitcher on a tray. The buffet was just okay. The butter chicken pan was empty when I arrived at 1 pm and was never refilled. Some appetizers were hard and dry. They say all their veggies are fresh, but the peas and carrots in veggie dish were clearly frozen. Those perfect diced squares! At one point, an employee came out to put some extra forks on the buffet. He dropped one and put it BACK in the holder. He saw me looking at him, I was only six feet away! He just walked back to the kitchen.

I finally got up and called to the back for my check and go dish. The Malai Kofta had a nice flavor, but the dumplings collapsed into mush. Very strange. I hate to leave a negative review, but this place has gone down. At times, various friends and family come in and you hear lively conversations from the back all the while nobody checks on tables or on the buffet.There have never been more than a few customers the last 3 times I have been. We have at least four other superb Indian restaurants in this city; sadly, they can't compete.
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

Re: Interesting meal at Little India

by Leah S » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:00 am

We had a similar experience maybe 5 weeks ago. The temperature of the hot holding on the buffet was clearly not hot enough. Two other customers, little attention from the owner. Its a completely different restaurant from the previous small space. And not in a good way.
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:03 am

When I want an Indian buffet, Bombay Grill or Dakshin have the best and most novel dishes. Last time I went to Little India it seemed a bit meager by comparison.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:17 pm

Iggy C wrote:When I want an Indian buffet, Bombay Grill or Dakshin have the best and most novel dishes. Last time I went to Little India it seemed a bit meager by comparison.

I agree, Iggy, but in the past I did like the feel of Little India ... like visiting a friendly Indian family for lunch. If they're on the slide, though, it needs to be said. :(
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:57 pm

I love their biryani and I agree, they are really sweet people. I would not hesitate to recommend them for dinner. The only disappointment I've had there has been the buffet.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:16 pm

I did some work for an Indian family last week. Along around 4 pm her kitchen was smelling heavenly. Took home some awesome meals that week. When I asked her about where THEY eat when they want to dine out and she said Shalimar. I asked about other Indian restaurants and she always said politely, " oh yes, they are ok too." (Eyes averted, fidgeting.) She also recommended the grocery next door to there as well. Just FWIW.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:40 pm

I am jealous, Carla! I love Bombay's buffet. At any time, you see many Indian/Pakistani people in there. Shalimar's delivery saved me this winter. I love their food, and the owner is lovely. I am spoiled by living is St Matthews with so many easy dining options,but for Indian food , I have to negotiate Shelbyville road, Hurstbourne Ln or Bardstown Rd ( Kashmir). It sure would be nice to have a good Indian restaurant in St Matthews or Crescent Hill. I'm sure they would do well and sacrificing one pizza place seems only fair! ;-)
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:11 pm

Yes, we like Patel Brother's grocery (next to Shalimar -- http://www.patelbros.com/). It's a good source for many ingredients and prepared foods.

Clay Oven and Bombay are our go-to places. We used to eat at Shalimar with regularity, but it was eclipsed by these two places. I'd eat there again if we were in the area and were hungry but I would not make a special trip.