Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Costco

no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

Costco

by Richard S. » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:42 pm

Just saw confirmation on WDRB that a Costco will be going into the space formerly occupied by the Showcase Cinema. Hopefully that will rejuvenate that section of Bardstown Road. I have fond memories of the Showcase; I think I saw Star Wars in excess of 40 times in Theater #1.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Costco

by Mark R. » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:08 pm

I'm wondering if Metro government will give Costco a hard time about building design like they did with Walmart? Obviously there are other developments in this area that are not fronted on the street but the old theater was pretty close to the street with the majority of the parking in the back and it looked very nice. I'm sure there will be many arguments both ways so it will be very interesting to see how it is approached by Metro government.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:17 pm

Hopefully it will drive business to Bodega Mi Sueno #2.
no avatar
User

Clay Cundiff

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:54 am

by Clay Cundiff » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:51 am

From what I read last night, they are planning the put the Costco at the back of the lot with a good sized run of street facing retail space along Bardstown Road and the parking in between. Sounds ideal.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:14 pm

Clay Cundiff wrote:From what I read last night, they are planning the put the Costco at the back of the lot with a good sized run of street facing retail space along Bardstown Road and the parking in between. Sounds ideal.

That does sound like a pretty good plan. It will still look pretty decent from the street because of the small shops up front. Too bad they didn't think of doing something like that with the Walmart on Broadway.

no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:03 pm

And thanks to Costco for bring in jobs that pay a decent wage. Unlike Walmart.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:22 pm

Carla G wrote:And thanks to Costco for bring in jobs that pay a decent wage. Unlike Walmart.

They'll still fight any effort by workers to organize for collective bargaining, though. :P
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:40 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Carla G wrote:And thanks to Costco for bring in jobs that pay a decent wage. Unlike Walmart.

They'll still fight any effort by workers to organize for collective bargaining, though. :P

Depending on which source you use, Costco is ranked either #1 or #2 in employee satisfaction with pay and benefits. That's not just a retail sector ranking - Costco's employees are more satisfied than those of employers like Microsoft and Facebook. The career website Glassdoor ranks Costco #1 in career opportunities for employees with a high school education. Costco starts its employees at about a dollar an hour more than the retail average. Costco provides health insurance to employees who work as little as 23 hours per week. Last year 85% of Costco's employees had health insurance and contributed a very low percentage of the premium cost. Costco's annual turnover is between one-third and one-half of the retail industry average.

Robin, I'm as liberal as they come, but the retired human resources consultant in me has to question what Costco employees would gain through collective bargaining.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:17 am

Mike D wrote:Robin, I'm as liberal as they come, but the retired human resources consultant in me has to question what Costco employees would gain through collective bargaining.

I hear you, Mike. I guess I'm looking at a European model where the bargaining unit is recognized as part of the community and not particularly an adversary, but it's available to allow the employees to speak as a group on a level playing field with management.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:36 am

Robin Garr wrote:
Mike D wrote:Robin, I'm as liberal as they come, but the retired human resources consultant in me has to question what Costco employees would gain through collective bargaining.

I hear you, Mike. I guess I'm looking at a European model where the bargaining unit is recognized as part of the community and not particularly an adversary, but it's available to allow the employees to speak as a group on a level playing field with management.

Robin, now this baby boomer liberal is right with you....I'm all for lots of what is done in Europe, including healthcare. Too bad we'll never see in my lifetime.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:09 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

I guess maybe I would agree with you Robin if I hadn't worked in Europe for two years and seen that model that operation. It really has nothing to the playing field and many times gets in the way of effective communications. Comparing it to what I've seen working for two major American corporations I definitely feel that the non-union model works better as long as the company has good philosophies and procedures put in place. Something that Costco obviously has if they score that well in employee satisfaction.

no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:19 pm

Richard S. wrote:Just saw confirmation on WDRB that a Costco will be going into the space formerly occupied by the Showcase Cinema. Hopefully that will rejuvenate that section of Bardstown Road. I have fond memories of the Showcase; I think I saw Star Wars in excess of 40 times in Theater #1.

The only thing that parcel needed was a nice green space---a few nice walking paths, trees, benches, etc. A green space may have added some balance to the cluster of junk food, big box, etc. along that stretch. Now there will be additional traffic and more cluster I just don't see any benefit to shoehorning a huge Cosco in that area.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:55 am

James Natsis wrote:
Richard S. wrote:Just saw confirmation on WDRB that a Costco will be going into the space formerly occupied by the Showcase Cinema. Hopefully that will rejuvenate that section of Bardstown Road. I have fond memories of the Showcase; I think I saw Star Wars in excess of 40 times in Theater #1.

The only thing that parcel needed was a nice green space---a few nice walking paths, trees, benches, etc. A green space may have added some balance to the cluster of junk food, big box, etc. along that stretch. Now there will be additional traffic and more cluster I just don't see any benefit to shoehorning a huge Cosco in that area.

I disagree. That area has gone so far downhill, it needs an actual real business to come in, that will bring additional traffic and some safety. I worked for a business over there that eventually folded after Showcase went under, because people just stopped coming in. The area, generally, is now methamphetamine, prostitution, and fast food. Costco and the other businesses that come in behind it will push that out of there very fast, which is what is needed, because the Economy Inn's vice reach is long (by the way, props to the LMPD for stationing a cop there full time now; I do wish they'd just put the owners in jail, though). The only reason the whole area hasn't collapsed is because of the Bashford Manor properties, and they're still not a great place to be at night.

It used to be a beautiful area -- I won't even walk down there anymore, and I certainly wouldn't just because they "added green space." That area is the only place in Louisville I've been mugged, and I often frequent places that many people think are a guaranteed way to get shot (they aren't; there are some great restaurants in the poorer parts of Louisville, and everyone tends to be ridiculously nice).
no avatar
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:19 pm

Bring back the Toy Tiger! That'll bring the area up a notch! :lol:
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Sun Mar 29, 2015 5:18 pm

Ray Griffith wrote:Bring back the Toy Tiger! That'll bring the area up a notch! :lol:

Hah!