Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

Re: Bentuhua Teahouse closing

by Adam Robinson » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 pm

James Natsis wrote:
RonnieD wrote:Marketing is the key piece that a lot of restauranteurs fail to account for. You have to let people know you exist and you have stay out in front of them at all times.

We've been J. Gumbo's since 2008 here in Louisville and when I tell people where I work and what I do, they still say "where's your restaurant?" and "I've never heard of it." And this is all because we have done virtually no mass marketing of any kind. But I bet people know who Wild Eggs is. They have a billboard.

This is why I'm pushing the Clifton Donut Shop so hard. Wonderful people and a great store in a great spot, but they probably don't have deep pockets to advertise. Sounds like the same situation with you, Robin, and this young lady. You make a personal connection with these small business owners and want really badly for them to succeed, but it's hard when the coffers dry up just getting the store open.

Please, anyone who is trying to open a restaurant, 25% of your start-up cost needs to be allocated for marketing. And once you get open spend 5% of your gross monthly sales on advertising of some kind. Word of mouth is great, and it can drive a lot of business your way, but it can only be so effective and then it wears off.

Good advice for any restauranteur.

Good advice for almost any business, IMO. .
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:27 am

That's a shame- I passed this place Sunday and thought to myself, "Oh I've got to try this place." I think the word tea in the name kept me from going as I dislike tea.
FWIW- your review, Robin, is what made me consider going.
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:58 am

RonnieD wrote:Marketing is the key piece that a lot of restauranteurs fail to account for. You have to let people know you exist and you have stay out in front of them at all times.

We've been J. Gumbo's since 2008 here in Louisville and when I tell people where I work and what I do, they still say "where's your restaurant?" and "I've never heard of it." And this is all because we have done virtually no mass marketing of any kind. But I bet people know who Wild Eggs is. They have a billboard.

Please, anyone who is trying to open a restaurant, 25% of your start-up cost needs to be allocated for marketing. And once you get open spend 5% of your gross monthly sales on advertising of some kind. Word of mouth is great, and it can drive a lot of business your way, but it can only be so effective and then it wears off.

i have seen similar numbers in many restaurant franchise agreements. Spending 5-10k on a marketing blitz for an opening weekend might seem like a lot but it will pay off if the food and service are good.

Location and name choice/branding are also critical. This particular place was in a great area but a C or D location in that area. Regarding name choice, they made a mistake the first time and the new concept name is slightly better but still lacks in my opinion.
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:02 pm

Eric Hall wrote:...Regarding name choice, they made a mistake the first time and the new concept name is slightly better but still lacks in my opinion.

This is my feeling on the Bahn Mi Hero >> Yen Hapa name/concept change, except the new concept name is slightly worse.
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

by John Lisherness » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:32 pm

I tried this place 4 weeks ago after reading about it on this forum and almost went there for lunch today.
It was great and the young owner, Veronica, was especially hospitable.
I look forward to their next try, Cafe Prose Merlin.
Previous