Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Business Insider says Kentucky's best pizza is?

by Mark R. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:55 am

According to Business Insider, the best pizza in Kentucky can be found at the Garage Bar here in Louisville. The best pizza in Indiana is at Jackamo Upper Crust Pizza in Indianapolis according to the article.

Here's a link to the article: Kentucky's Best Pizza

As we've discussed here many times, what's the best pizza or any other food for that matter, is in the eyes of the eater. But one person thinks is wonderful another person may not care for it all but it's certainly nice to see what some press reviews think.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Business Insider says Kentucky's best pizza is?

by Iggy C » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:03 am

I am cool with that choice.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:08 pm

It's very good. Coal's is still consistently better, IMO. And I've had a lot of both! :D
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:18 pm

It is very good! So is Coals. So is DiOrio's, and so is Boombozz, and so is Clifton, and so are the awesome pies at not-pizzeria eateries like Caffe Classico and Cafe Lou Lou.

Have we really reached a point, though, where cheap-and-dirty reports on clickbait sites done by low-paid free-lancers who've probably researched online and never even been to Louisville actually get covered by "serious" media like Business First and merit discussion by real foodies like us?

<shaking cane and yelling at clickbait kids to get off our lawn!>
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:54 pm

Robin Garr wrote:It is very good! So is Coals. So is DiOrio's, and so is Boombozz, and so is Clifton, and so are the awesome pies at not-pizzeria eateries like Caffe Classico and Cafe Lou Lou.

Have we really reached a point, though, where cheap-and-dirty reports on clickbait sites done by low-paid free-lancers who've probably researched online and never even been to Louisville actually get covered by "serious" media like Business First and merit discussion by real foodies like us?

I was thinking almost the exact same thing when I posted the story originally. I didn't want to cloud up the topic with my personal opinions so early in the thread before others had a chance to comment. I don't believe any of these "studies" that identify the best of anything across the nation are valid in any way. If they poll local people they are nothing but a popularity contest. Unless the author actually goes and tries each place, which we know they don't, I don't take the stories that much more than face value.

no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:05 pm

I have to say the article from Thrillist for the 50 best pizzas was amazing in terms of draw. We are still reaping the rewards from that digital piece. When I saw this list I was hoping for another bump. :lol: Anyway, congrats to Garage Bar! And thank you all for your kind words. Means the world to us at Coals.
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:24 am

Robin Garr wrote:It is very good! So is Coals. So is DiOrio's, and so is Boombozz, and so is Clifton, and so are the awesome pies at not-pizzeria eateries like Caffe Classico and Cafe Lou Lou.

I agree, BUT at least they picked a place that was actually pretty good. Seems like you used to read these generic articles and it would be so far off, in the realm of "Best pasta in Louisville...olive garden on hurstbourne!"

As long as they're showcasing an actual good, local restaurant that deserves it, no harm no foul IMO.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:14 pm

Jason G wrote:As long as they're showcasing an actual good, local restaurant that deserves it, no harm no foul IMO.

Well, in fairness, I did admit that I was shaking my cane and yelling at kids on the lawn. :mrgreen:

But that said, while I agree that they picked one of the top local pizzae, I still get heartburn over how pitifully needy this town - even our major media - gets about unskeptically accepting any praise, no matter how crappy the source.

May I shake my cane again now? 8)
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:03 pm

Garage Bar would not even occur to me as a pizza place in Louisville.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:31 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:Garage Bar would not even occur to me as a pizza place in Louisville.

My thoughts exactly!

User

Gordon M Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

German-Paristown and Highgate Springs

by Gordon M Lowe » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:09 am

I was wondering how the results get chosen.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:Garage Bar would not even occur to me as a pizza place in Louisville.

Their pizza is actually really good, but unfortunately it's exceedingly expensive for what you get, IMO -- if I remember correctly it ran about 30% higher than Coal's, adjusted for size. I stopped frequently Garage Bar due to service issues, but I'd put it up there in top 5 pizzas in Louisville (just not adjusted for price).