Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

New book on Louisville diners

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

New book on Louisville diners

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:42 am

I'm reliably informed (by Bill Smith 8) ) that Shady Lane Cafe is reatured in a new book, "Louisville Diners," by local blogger Ashlee Clark Thompson. Has anyone seen the book? It apparently features profiles on lots of local ... mmm, let's say casual eateries.

Here's a summary of the book from its Facebook page:

Louisville boasts many award-winning fine dining restaurants, but long before Derby City mastered upscale cuisine, it perfected the diner. Explore Louisville’s tasty offerings with local food writer Ashlee Clark Thompson as she surveys the city’s impressive variety of greasy spoons from the Highlands to the West End and everywhere in between. Enjoy home cooking done right at Shirley Mae’s Café and Bar, breakfast at Barbara Lee’s Kitchen, lunch to go at Ollie’s Trolley and so much more. Packed with insightful interviews and helpful tips that only a local can provide, Louisville Diners is a delectable look into the best the city has to offer. Join us to celebrate the release of Ashlee Clark Thompson's new book, "Louisville Diners".

https://www.facebook.com/events/621527524644899/
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

Re: New book on Louisville diners

by JustinHammond » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:05 am

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:29 am

JustinHammond wrote:http://ashleeeats.com/louisville-diners/

http://www.amazon.com/Louisville-Diners ... 1626198977

Have you seen the book, Justin? I haven't, yet, but would like to know more about it ... a guide? Reviews? What's a "diner" anyway? (As a onetime temporary New Yorker, I got to know traditional NYC-style diners pretty well, and wouldn't really say that they exist in this part of the world in a form that Northeasterners would recognize, although the early Twig & Leaf came reasonably close.)
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:17 am

Robin Garr wrote:
JustinHammond wrote:http://ashleeeats.com/louisville-diners/

http://www.amazon.com/Louisville-Diners ... 1626198977

Have you seen the book, Justin? I haven't, yet, but would like to know more about it ... a guide? Reviews? What's a "diner" anyway? (As a onetime temporary New Yorker, I got to know traditional NYC-style diners pretty well, and wouldn't really say that they exist in this part of the world in a form that Northeasterners would recognize, although the early Twig & Leaf came reasonably close.)

Nope, haven't seen it, just was interested and thought I would pass along the info I found.

According to
http://ashleeeats.com/louisville-diners/

The book is, well, about Louisville diners (the places, not the people). I profile some of my favorite down-home restaurants in the city, interview fellow food writers and provide some tips on how to enjoy your own Louisville diner experience.

Explore Louisville’s tasty offerings with local food writer Ashlee Clark Thompson as she surveys the city’s impressive variety of greasy spoons from the Highlands to the West End and everywhere in between.

Louisville Diners is available at the following locations:
•Online: History Press website, Amazon
•Stores: Carmichael’s Bookstore, A Reader’s Corner, Shady Lane Café, Wild Eggs (downtown Louisville location)
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:20 pm

JustinHammond wrote:Nope, haven't seen it, just was interested and thought I would pass along the info I found.

Glad you did, too! I hope I didn't come across as nitpicky. I just wondered if anyone has actually picked up and looked at the book. Maybe I'll walk over to Carmichael's this afternoon and see if I can sneak a peek without getting glared at. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

by RichardM » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:27 pm

Robin,

We went to her first book signing on Saturday.

We have a copy. What did you want to know?

Richard
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:02 pm

RichardM wrote: What did you want to know?

What do you think of it? Useful reference? New material or rehashed old stuff? Well written? Accurate? You know, book review stuff. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:00 pm

I have just started reading it. It appears to be a combination of talking about the food and the people. Not like a review, more like a conversation. Ashlee admits it is not all the "traditional diner", but places that serve good, basic food at a reasonable price. She also has a discussion about the chef-driven diners that are popping up. Will let you know how it goes. 8)
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:36 pm

"Louisville Diners" is a charming little book that is more about the community and joy that small diners/family owned restaurants bring to the city. It is a conversation about the owners, and is most unusual in that she covers the west end and has a real infinity for the personalities that keep these places going. It is not a recipe book, nor is it with reviewing the food per say. It is most certainly a celebration of the real dining scene, the scene the vast majority of Louisvillians frequent. The place where babies are celebrated, deaths are prayed about, and a real concern for our fellow neighbors is fostered with shared work and tears. I think you will enjoy it.
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:51 pm

Robin, And you are featured as well in "Louisville Diners" with an interview and a very nice mention of Louisvillehotbytes relevance to the food scene. I love that she covers the South End and the West End as well. Thanks for your input in the book. The definition of a diner seems to be a fluid interpretation, and is done justice in Ashlee's recounting. I have been to all but one of the place mentioned in the book, and hope to discover more as the adventure continues.