Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Just a small request that would help others

by Carla G » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:51 am

Just a thought...
Personally, I am not getting out to every new restaurant as I once did when I was more closely associated with the biz. In fact, My time reading Hot Bytes has been dramatically reduced due to time management. I really value the restaurant reviews on this site. Perhaps because I know Robin and most of the people that post here and I trust their knowledge and food judgement.

Now, having said that, to all of you that post those glowing reviews of your latest dining pleasures - if you don't add in your post WHERE the restaurant is located you aren't doing that much of a service to your dining host. It doesn't have to be an exact location with a street number but even mentioning a land mark helps. (You know, the old Sears building or preferably a newer one for our recently moved into town friends.) There have been so many new openings that after a while they all start running together particularly if it isn't a subject you stay abreast of every day. Yes yes yes it's so easy to say "Look it up!" but some some restaurants are very poorly represented on line. (And don't get me started with restaurants relying on Face Book for their cyber exposure. No address, no phone number, no hours of operation just lots of beautiful photos of food you will never eat because you can't figure out when they are open.)

With the Louisville restaurant scene encompassing an ever growing radius and with more diners limiting their driving ranges any info you can share on specifics helps greatly.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Re: Just a small request that would help others

by RichardM » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:08 am

Amen Sister! Addresses and hours are an absolute for me to consider a place I find out about here on HotBytes.

If Facebook is the sum total of your social media, you are NOT doing social media.

Your Social Media Concierge.

Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:54 am

Thanks for posting that Carla, it's also been one of my frustrations with many of the recent reviews of newer restaurants. Actually it would help on some of the older, more obscure places that are off the beaten path.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:13 pm

+1 :mrgreen:
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:41 am

It's down the street from the old Sears building.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:31 am

I don't disagree in principle, Carla, although when Mark brought this up with regard to the new Cuban restaurant post, I was puzzled, since the original post mentioned pretty clearly that it was where Cubana and Riviera Maya used to be. :? (About four miles west of the old Sears Building, I would guess.)
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:47 am

Robin Garr wrote:I don't disagree in principle, Carla, although when Mark brought this up with regard to the new Cuban restaurant post, I was puzzled, since the original post mentioned pretty clearly that it was where Cubana and Riviera Maya used to be. :? (About four miles west of the old Sears Building, I would guess.)

That's very true Robin but some of us don't know where those restaurants were either!

User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:52 am

Mark R. wrote:That's very true Robin but some of us don't know where those restaurants were either!

I thought you guys got around more than that, Mark. :)

Seriously, though, I just wanted to step up for Ken, since he did make the effort to locate it, and more clearly than by reference to Sears, too!
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:11 pm

I propose we make the old Sears building the new prime meridian and describe all distances in reference to how far it is in revolutions if you rolled a 16" pizza there. The unit of measurement could be known as a Garr .. :mrgreen:
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mark R. wrote:That's very true Robin but some of us don't know where those restaurants were either!

I thought you guys got around more than that, Mark. :)

Seriously, though, I just wanted to step up for Ken, since he did make the effort to locate it, and more clearly than by reference to Sears, too!

But Robin, it's inside the Waterson! The visa I have on my passport only allows a certain limited number of visits to that area.

User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:46 pm

Gary Guss wrote:I propose we make the old Sears building the new prime meridian and describe all distances in reference to how far it is in revolutions if you rolled a 16" pizza there. The unit of measurement could be known as a Garr .. :mrgreen:

Hilarious. :D

So, 1 mile = 1260.51 Garrs

(Pi was involved in that conversion.)
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:53 pm

I'll bite :mrgreen:

My dentist is just 66 Garrs from the Old Sears.

(PM me if you're in the need of a good dentist.)
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:31 pm

Gary Guss wrote:I propose we make the old Sears building the new prime meridian and describe all distances in reference to how far it is in revolutions if you rolled a 16" pizza there. The unit of measurement could be known as a Garr .. :mrgreen:

User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:23 pm

I like that Pie is involved in the conversion