Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Open Letter to Robin Garr:

no avatar
User

Adam B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue May 27, 2008 8:26 am

Open Letter to Robin Garr:

by Adam B » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:15 pm

Dear Robin, for several years now I have sat silently as rumors, comments and innuendos have been falsely spread and recirculated by people I have never met. By people who pass judgement on me based on falsehoods, rumors and lies, yet they never once asked to meet me, sit down with me and to see or ask if these claims are true or not, or to just know who I am.

This week a member of our Pie Kitchen staff, Nick, came to me, he was visibly upset, as he heard the rumor from a recent forum post and he said this, “Adam anyone who says things like this does not know you at all and they haven’t been into our store in the lower Highlands either”. He then continued to say, “if they had, they would know you have a very diverse staff and in the 6 years that I have worked for you that has always been the case”.

That brings me to this letter. I recently read these quotes below on your forum… 

“I tend to avoid HICPK, though, because of the dubious nature of their competition against Comfy Cow” Robin Garr

“Since HICPK does things like spread the word at SE Christian that Comfy Cow is owned by two married gay guys and should be avoided, I'm inclined to give them little slack. What do you think Tim and Roy have done that compares with that, Mark?” Robin Garr

“That's still a matter that is up for debate in many circles, at least whether it happened like has been rumored or not. Of course that's the general feelings of SE anyway. What I was thinking about with more along the lines of some of the business practices they have followed especially considering the Frankford Avenue location! I think it was around last Halloween when there were some very unethical practices down there.” Mark R.

“Jay, I've seen the flyers that had been placed under windshield wipers, and I've heard reports not from FOAFs but from people who had heard the remarks. I found them credible.” Robin Garr

Robin, when have you ever  heard me say anything that would provoke these comments? A few years ago I invited you to meet me at one of my stores. I extended an open offer to meet you and you never took me up on it. Therefore, I would have hoped that since you did not take the opportunity to meet with me first hand and discuss this with me that you would not continue to post third hand rumors until you had an opportunity to at least meet me.

So after years, I am breaking my silence so you can judge me on who and what I am. 

To Jay C on the forum, thank you, I am here to address this. 

Personally I find it frustrating that those who wish to hold others to a higher standard and not have them judge others on who and what they are, are in fact those who are passing judgment.

Robin, in regards to your comment, “Since HICPK does things like spread the word at SE Christian that Comfy Cow is owned by two married gay guys and should be avoided” I have not had the pleasure of ever visiting SE Christian. As well you say HICPK as if it is all of us. You state this as if first hand. I have never made any such statement nor anything remotely close to it. If you knew me, you would know that without question. 

As to this rumor about Tim and Roy, I found it so offensive that I  took the initiative to meet with Chris Hartman at the Fairness Campaign several years ago when the rumor started. I was upset about what was being said and so I took the time to meet Chris so we could discuss this. I felt it was being spread to create financial gain for those spreading the rumor, since the rumors focus was to avoid Homemade. Chris and I had a very nice conversation. As Chris pointed out, “Adam, if you were as the rumor says, we at the Fairness Campaign would have known about you years ago”. Chris took note, that at that time, I had been in business for 29 years without one discrimination claim or complaint against me or my business or anyone working for me, not one. Chris took the time to speak to one of my friends who is openly gay and Chris followed up to say how well my friend spoke of me. To that I appreciate and respect Chris.

To your comment “Jay, I've seen the flyers that had been placed under windshield wipers”. Robin, this is the first I have heard of this, this is new. I have never seen any fliers nor have I ever placed any fliers, so I cannot speak to them. Though I know I would condemn such an activity.

To your comment, “and I've heard reports not from FOAFs but from people who had heard the remarks. I found them credible.” If the remarks reference the rumors, they are not credible. How can they be credible if you did not hear them first hand? To make such a statement requires judging someone based on what you know of them. You do not know me nor have ever met me. I would welcome you meeting with me first hand, so you wouldn't have to judge me based on third party references, you could then know me for who I actually am.

“I think it was around last Halloween when there were some very unethical practices down there.” I am proud to say never once in 32 years of business have I ever had a claim, action, complaint etc of being unethical. I find this baseless and without merit.  It makes no mention of what was unethical, though it clearly sets the tone to paint those who were “down there” in a poor light. I find this very disparaging.

I am proud of my accomplishments in the community and as well I am proud of who and what I am. I hope people keep an open mind and visit our stores, I want them to know that I have a great staff that is made up of many people of all different diversities. I love them for who and what they are as a person. That’s what makes it so great. That’s why we have been successful and a vibrant, caring and giving part of our community for over 32 years.

Nick made me realize something very important as he was visibly shaken. The rumors indirectly hurt my staff and their families, the 180 people who work for our family. Because indirectly they are impacted by either being judged for working for someone “like that” or financially since people decide to shop somewhere else and that affects the staff. It has affected our Frankfort Ave staff the most and that is disappointing as they are caring people who deserve better.

So to you Robin, and the others who might read this and who have not had the opportunity to speak to me in person or get to know me, I extend an open invitation for you to meet me in person and thus know who I am. I am at my stores and out in the community daily. I welcome the opportunity. As to the rumors and their intent, I condemn these rumors and what they suggest directly or indirectly. They do not in any way reflect who and what I am or what I believe, they are without basis. The continuance of these rumors from this point will only show the ill intent of those who continue to spread them, shame on anyone doing so.

Today I chose to speak out because these rumors are without basis and their continued use is wrong, I no longer wish to be silent and let this directly or indirectly affect the many members of our Pie Kitchen family, nor myself. To those who wish to know first hand I extend an open invitation to meet with you so that you can form your own opinion. I hope good comes from this letter and people move forward on what makes us and our community so great.

Adam Burckle
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Open Letter to Robin Garr:

by Robin Garr » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:41 pm

Adam, thanks for saying your piece. I'm perfectly happy to give you your say and not tarnish it by trying to rebut.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:25 pm

As an outspoken forum member, I would just like to say that I frequented the HIPK in the Highlands for years and years and years. They have great pie. They are the go-to place for impressing someone with a killer slice of local pie. The rhubarb pie is amazing. What can I say, I like pie.

When it comes to ice cream, the Cow is king.

So for me, there is room for both in Crescent Hill and no harm done.

As for Adam, I wouldn't know him from...well...Adam, and that's ok. I don't have to.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:29 pm

Adam B wrote:“I think it was around last Halloween when there were some very unethical practices down there.”

Adam, I believe the quote you are referencing above was actually made by me and I was saying it in your defense because I believe that there was an incident where somebody in a cow costume was passing out flyers for Comfy Cow in or in front of your facility! Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Robin, I sincerely hope that after these comments made by Adam that you will reach out to him and have a sitdown discussion with him about his actual philosophies and business practices. It seems like many of the assumptions and innuendo you have been hearing and relying upon are quite false. It seems like and deserve better treatment.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"