Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

The cat ate my review. No, really!

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:44 pm

The cat ate my review. No, really!

LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

The Ville Taqueria's Veggie Taco

After quite a few years writing a weekly column about food, I've learned a thing or two. For instance:

* When the going gets tough, the tough get going.
* That which does not kill us makes us strong.
* The deadline monster must be fed.

All these things seem to make good sense. But sometimes good sense smacks up against reality, as it did this week when Mary and I in turn were struck down by that virus that's going around. You probably know the one: The flu-like malady that sneaked around this year's brand of flu shot, smacking its victims upside the head with an unwanted surprise.

My bride went first, leaving me without an eating partner for this week's review. I thought about inviting a friend, but decided that wouldn't be wise with contagion on the loose.

So, what does a person eat when dining out solo? Tacos, of course! They're portably delicious, and you can eat just a couple or buy 'em by the sack. Also, taquerias tend to be friendly places, where you can chat up the taco-making folks if you're there on your own. Yep, tacos it is!

But wait! Where's the love for pizza? It is, after all, nature's most perfect food, offering all your basic food groups on an appetizing bready round.

Now that I thought about it, why shouldn't I do both? I looked around, and the taco choice was easy: The Ville Taqueria makes good stuff, and it's an easy jaunt from here.

Pizza? That took a little more thinking. I was already focused on St. Matthews for the tacos, and this prewar suburb-turned-nightlife-zone has become one of the region's most pizza-rich environments.

But which pizza? Even Mellow Mushroom is exceptional for a chain eatery, and DiOrio's and Coals rank high on my best-pizza meter. I love Coals for its New York-style coal oven and the charry, sweet caramelization that it imparts to its artisan bread base. But DiOrio's advertises pizza by the oversize slice, and that fit my mood this time.

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/the-c ... -no-really
And in LEO Weekly:
http://www.leoweekly.com/2015/03/cat-at ... no-really/

The Ville Taqueria
3922 Westport Road
721-8226
facebook.com/TheVilleSt.Matthews
Robin Garr's rating: 90 points

DiOrio's Pizza and Pub
310 Wallace Ave.
618-3424