Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Happy Pi Day!

no avatar
User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Brandenburg, Ky

Happy Pi Day!

by TracyBasham » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:04 pm

I know that Blaze Pizza is doing a $3.14 pie today but Im looking for a tasty place to enjoy a nice slice of real pi....er pie
And go!!
Last edited by TracyBasham on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Happy Pi Day!

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:42 pm

Coals is my go-to for great pie (pizza), but Louisville is full of great options, from Boombozz to DiOrio's and much more. Caffe Classico has a great pizza on a broader menu. Ditto Cafe Lou Lou.

Meanwhile, here is the best serious-but-readable story on Pi that I've seen today:

http://www.newyorker.com/tech/elements/ ... pi-matters
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:45 pm

Pizza isn't the kind of pie I think about being associated with "Pi Day", I think more about the sweet kind of pie. Along that line, Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen locations are having all slices of pie for $3.14 today.
Last edited by Mark R. on Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

TracyBasham

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:58 pm

Brandenburg, Ky

by TracyBasham » Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:34 pm

Agreed. I wasnt looking for PIZZA but I assume that didnt come across. Blaze was the only place I saw advertising something related to the day so thats why I mentioned them.
Too much pizza in the area and not enough pie joints.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:07 pm

TracyBasham wrote:not enough pie joints.

Yeah, the world needs more of both kinds of pie. :lol: I tend to avoid HICPK, though, because of the dubious nature of their competition against Comfy Cow.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:44 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
TracyBasham wrote:not enough pie joints.

Yeah, the world needs more of both kinds of pie. :lol: I tend to avoid HICPK, though, because of the dubious nature of their competition against Comfy Cow.

Actually, for me it's just the opposite and that's the reason I avoid Comfy Cow. I think both sides have done some dubious things in the competitive battle between the two companies. Since HICPK was here first I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:53 pm

Mark R. wrote: Since HICPK was here first I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Since HICPK does things like spread the word at SE Christian that Comfy Cow is owned by two married gay guys and should be avoided, I'm inclined to give them little slack. What do you think Tim and Roy have done that compares with that, Mark?
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:08 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Mark R. wrote: Since HICPK was here first I tend to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Since HICPK does things like spread the word at SE Christian that Comfy Cow is owned by two married gay guys and should be avoided, I'm inclined to give them little slack. What do you think Tim and Roy have done that compares with that, Mark?

That's still a matter that is up for debate in many circles, at least whether it happened like has been rumored or not. Of course that's the general feelings of SE anyway. What I was thinking about with more along the lines of some of the business practices they have followed especially considering the Frankford Avenue location! I think it was around last Halloween when there were some very unethical practices down there.

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:54 pm

Without knowing anything about the controversy (as we are not in any way affiliated w/ SE Christian) we went to HICPK tonight, first the Frankfort location (which was out of pies at 10:00pm) and then the Vogue location (which had five partial pies left and 40 people in line). We ended up at Graeters, and I think had a better dessert!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:09 am

I made a delicious apple pie today. I make sure I have a pie on display almost all the time.
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:33 am

Robin Garr wrote:Since HICPK does things like....

A specious claim. Do you have a credible source for this?

I hope the Homemade Ice Cream and Pie Kitchen folks will address this. In the earlier thread Mark references above, HIC&PK provided a thoughtful and logical response to accusations of dirty competitive tactics that convinced all but a few of us here that the accusations were absolutely without merit.

Although, if they chose not to respond here, I would understand, because as they said in 2011:

Adam B wrote:I personally feel it is not the responsibility of someone to be proactive or ward off rumors. I feel it is the responsibility of the person spreading rumors not to do so. Though once a rumor is started in today's environment it is hard to address with the internet as it spreads like a virus.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Jay M. wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:Since HICPK does things like....

A specious claim. Do you have a credible source for this?

Jay, I've seen the flyers that had been placed under windshield wipers, and I've heard reports not from FOAFs but from people who had heard the remarks. I found them credible.
no avatar
User

Beth Thorpe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:58 pm

Highlands

by Beth Thorpe » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:57 am

I did some serious baking for Pi Day and gave piece away to my friends, but I am curious-- is there any place for pie in this town, really? I don't find the Pie Kitchen good at all, so I won't go there. I think it is a shame that they dominate so much. Friends of mine who are Louisville natives say that it used to be amazing, but not anymore. One friend referenced it being sold and changing a lot after that.

So is there anywhere else?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:18 am

If Marsha Lynch makes a pie at Cafe Lou Lou on any given day, get it! Doesn't Goose Creek Diner have those fancy rotating pie cases? I haven't tried them, though. Also, definitely consider Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe, 1804 Frankfort Ave.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:11 am

Robin Garr wrote:If Marsha Lynch makes a pie Cafe Lou Lou on any given day, get it! Doesn't Goose Creek Diner have those fancy rotating pie cases? I haven't tried them, though. Also, definitely consider Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe, 1804 Frankfort Ave.

We go to goose Creek diner on occasion and they used to have very good pies, especially their coconut cream but recently it hasn't seemed to be as appetizing. I did admit that they changed the recipe.

Next